Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Laptop Price Increase From 1yr Ago

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • timberwoofers
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Jan 2013
    • 1096

    Laptop Price Increase From 1yr Ago

    End of last year we purchased a new laptop from Dell.

    Last week got a quote to duplicate that same laptop from a year ago. The model # has changed to the latest but the rest is the same.

    I realize that many things have increased in price. Does a 25% price increase sound normal for this? Or do I need to continue to ask for a bigger discount.

    Thanks.
    She is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are her life, her love, her leader. She will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of her heart.
    You owe it to her to be worthy of such devotion.
  • #2
    timberwoofers
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Jan 2013
    • 1096

    No I'm not surprised. But it's a chunk of money that I'd rather try and save if I could.

    There are things I've been following but computer/tech price increases I have not. Figured some would know here.
    She is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are her life, her love, her leader. She will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of her heart.
    You owe it to her to be worthy of such devotion.

    Comment

    • #3
      billofrights
      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
      CGN Contributor
      • Oct 2012
      • 2343

      We've had issues getting computer hardware for the last year. I have open orders from May that they're telling us are still 4-6 weeks out. It's bad everywhere, so yeah a 25% bump in cost isn't surprising to me.

      Comment

      • #4
        timberwoofers
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Jan 2013
        • 1096

        @kingransom

        I do appreciate your suggestion.

        However with these types of things I tend to stick to what I know and what has been good to me in the past.

        Dell is currently have a 35% sale on these laptops right now.
        She is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
        You are her life, her love, her leader. She will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of her heart.
        You owe it to her to be worthy of such devotion.

        Comment

        • #5
          timberwoofers
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
          • Jan 2013
          • 1096

          Originally posted by billofrights
          We've had issues getting computer hardware for the last year. I have open orders from May that they're telling us are still 4-6 weeks out. It's bad everywhere, so yeah a 25% bump in cost isn't surprising to me.
          Thanks
          She is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
          You are her life, her love, her leader. She will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of her heart.
          You owe it to her to be worthy of such devotion.

          Comment

          • #6
            timberwoofers
            CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Jan 2013
            • 1096

            kingransom

            Yet another great point and many times when people come to me I steer them towards different brands or products that they are used to that will work best for them and their application.

            The laptop will be used for the normal things that you cited. In addition we use a couple 3D Architectural building and rendering software and a few Adobe products, PS, ID. The amount of Ram needed and type of graphics card for the Arch. software is pretty specific. I've spent a great deal of time last year looking at what we needed to upgrade computers and am happy with how they are performing.
            She is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
            You are her life, her love, her leader. She will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of her heart.
            You owe it to her to be worthy of such devotion.

            Comment

            • #7
              Jeepergeo
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2012
              • 3507

              Wait it out. All that stuff on ships off shore will eventually hit shore and then there will be a glut of product during the post-holiday buying lull. February or March should start showing great sales.

              Also, buying at the high prices tells manufacturers, wholesalers, and retailers that folks are eillting to pay the higher prices, thereby quashing any incentive for them to keep prices down.
              Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
              Life Member, California Rifle and Pistol Association

              Comment

              • #8
                sonofeugene
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2013
                • 4684

                Originally posted by timberwoofers
                @kingransom

                I do appreciate your suggestion.

                However with these types of things I tend to stick to what I know and what has been good to me in the past.

                Dell is currently have a 35% sale on these laptops right now.
                Lenovo is now the better brand.
                Let us not pray to be sheltered from dangers but to be fearless when facing them. - Rabindranath Tagore

                A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore

                Talent hits a target no one else can hit. Genius hits a target no one else can see. - Arthur Schopenhaur

                Comment

                • #9
                  high_revs
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Feb 2006
                  • 7868

                  OP are you comparing BF sale prices or cybermonday prices accordingly?

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    MrFancyPants
                    Senior Member
                    • Jun 2017
                    • 1160

                    It's just a timing issue. Now is not a good time to be buying lots of things, especially tech. If it's something you need now, well you gotta pay to play. I was considering getting another 12 TB external hard drive this year on sale, but now they're even more expensive than the one I bought a year ago. Traditionally as technology ages it gets cheaper, but now with the supply chain all ****ed up, prices are going the other way.

                    You're just going to have to cough up the dough to get what you want now, or wait. This is a seller's market across the board.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      BajaJames83
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Jun 2011
                      • 6042

                      price of everything is up and will probably keep going up for a while.
                      NRA Endowment Life Member
                      USMC 2001-2012

                      Never make yourself too available or useful...... Semper Fidelis

                      John Dickerson: What keeps you awake at night?
                      James Mattis: Nothing, I keep other people awake at night.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Rob454
                        CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                        • Feb 2006
                        • 11254

                        Originally posted by timberwoofers
                        End of last year we purchased a new laptop from Dell.

                        Last week got a quote to duplicate that same laptop from a year ago. The model # has changed to the latest but the rest is the same.

                        I realize that many things have increased in price. Does a 25% price increase sound normal for this? Or do I need to continue to ask for a bigger discount.

                        Thanks.
                        Never hurts to ask for a discount. Worse they say is no. But prices have shot up like crazy. My commuting budget had to double. I went from $400 a month to now $800 and climbing.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          timberwoofers
                          CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                          • Jan 2013
                          • 1096

                          Thanks everyone for your replies. I appreciate it.
                          She is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
                          You are her life, her love, her leader. She will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of her heart.
                          You owe it to her to be worthy of such devotion.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          UA-8071174-1