Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Router questions

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    Robotron2k84
    Senior Member
    • Sep 2017
    • 2013

    ^ Nerd

    Comment

    • #17
      RBShooter
      CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
      • Feb 2007
      • 658

      Originally posted by ibanezfoo
      Average Joe home users don't care about any of that, nor even know what it means. Yes I used to drag ASAs home, some Junper/Netscreen stuff, Aruba, some garbage Adtran, and made my own Linux routers out of old PCs, slapped myself on the BGP, etc then one day decided whats the point? I get to play with that crap all day at work. Slapped a cheap DDWRT thing together with some mesh pucks and called it a day. Sure I have some VLANs for security and crap like that but really nobody who isn't a nerd or works with this stuff cares. Its like a nerd big dick contest. Nobody cares except nerds.
      I concur.

      Comment

      • #18
        ibanezfoo
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Apr 2007
        • 12406

        Originally posted by Robotron2k84
        ^ Nerd
        Oh I think I’m quite a bit beyond average nerd level. lol I have a pretty serious D&D collection and a closet full of computer junk. I work in IT (mostly, though transitioning into robots) You know what I did for most of my 2 week vacation from the family (she’s out of state visiting grandma with my boy). I painted Warhammer minis. A few hours a day every day for 2 weeks. I am only posting now because I need a break and then I’m getting back after it. I have 2 3D printers cranking out minis as fast as I can. Then I have to go fire up the Co2 laser and cut out some accessories if the garage isn’t too hot.

        I don’t wear a pocket protector though…

        So what you got? What’s your nerd cred? Haha
        vindicta inducit ad salutem?

        Comment

        • #19
          ibanezfoo
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Apr 2007
          • 12406

          I forgot to name drop the Cradlepoint 1700 and 2200s I use for rapid field deployments because the Meraki stuff is cool but not reliable and sitting on the phone with TAC for hours sucks.
          vindicta inducit ad salutem?

          Comment

          • #20
            Cowboy T
            Calguns Addict
            • Mar 2010
            • 5725

            Originally posted by ibanezfoo
            Oh I think I’m quite a bit beyond average nerd level. lol I have a pretty serious D&D collection and a closet full of computer junk. I work in IT (mostly, though transitioning into robots) You know what I did for most of my 2 week vacation from the family (she’s out of state visiting grandma with my boy). I painted Warhammer minis. A few hours a day every day for 2 weeks. I am only posting now because I need a break and then I’m getting back after it. I have 2 3D printers cranking out minis as fast as I can. Then I have to go fire up the Co2 laser and cut out some accessories if the garage isn’t too hot.

            I don’t wear a pocket protector though…

            So what you got? What’s your nerd cred? Haha


            OK, that's pretty good. Here's my nerd cred.

            - All the AD&D books from the 1970's and 1980's, plus a few sets of D4's through D20's (that includes the original Deities & Demigods, before the lawsuit resulting in the revision, "Legends & Lore")
            - Redundant OpenBSD firewalls using CARP and spamd, with a real DMZ
            - Hosting my own Web, DNS (yep, I'm authoritative), and email on Raspberry Pi's, naturally running Raspbian, on static-IP FiOS link
            - Slackware and Kubuntu daily-driver boxes
            - SIEM, to help detect attacks
            - I build all of our desktop computers, nothing store-bought (laptops are Dell, but get juiced up by me)
            - Rebuilding Mercedes-Benz cars (currently doing engine swap on a S500 4Matic)
            - Official nerd glasses with the white tape, from when Mrs. B.H.C. and I got married two years ago
            - Pocket protectors with a pack of M&M's in 'em (each place setting at the reception had one of those as well, along with the nerd glasses)

            Is my disk hard enough for you yet?
            Last edited by Cowboy T; 08-13-2021, 9:44 PM.
            "San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
            F***ing with people's heads, one gun show at a time. Hallelujah!
            http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com (reloading info w/ videos)
            http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
            http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
            ----------------------------------------------------
            To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.

            Comment

            • #21
              Cowboy T
              Calguns Addict
              • Mar 2010
              • 5725

              Originally posted by RBShooter
              yeah, keep it dumbed down to my level, please lol .

              I'm thinking of putting the swithc up in the attic for simplification.
              Gets about 120 degrees up there in the summer.
              Was thinking of getting this https://www.antaira.com/products/10-...NX-1002C-SFP-T , instead of using that TPI switch I mentioned in OP. Way more expensive, but I don't want to risk burning my house down because of an overheated electrical item. This one is designed to work up to 158 degrees.
              That switch looks like a good choice. The industrial switches are meant for just this sort of application. As long as your router has a 1Gbps port, then the Gig uplink from the switch should take care of your needs very well.

              Now, do note that your communications between boxes inside your house will be a max of 100Mbps. If your primary usage is going to the Internet, though, then this will not be a problem. If, on the other hand, you're doing a lot of data transfers between, say, file servers (e. g. rsync or some other data replication scheme), or a SAN, then you might want to look at a faster switch and keep it in the air-conditioned part of the house.
              "San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
              F***ing with people's heads, one gun show at a time. Hallelujah!
              http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com (reloading info w/ videos)
              http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
              http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
              ----------------------------------------------------
              To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.

              Comment

              • #22
                ibanezfoo
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Apr 2007
                • 12406

                Originally posted by Cowboy T


                OK, that's pretty good. Here's my nerd cred.

                - All the AD&D books from the 1970's and 1980's, plus a few sets of D4's through D20's (that includes the original Deities & Demigods, before the lawsuit resulting in the revision, "Legends & Lore")
                - Redundant OpenBSD firewalls using CARP and spamd, with a real DMZ
                - Hosting my own Web, DNS (yep, I'm authoritative), and email on Raspberry Pi's, naturally running Raspbian, on static-IP FiOS link
                - Slackware and Kubuntu daily-driver boxes
                - SIEM, to help detect attacks
                - I build all of our desktop computers, nothing store-bought (laptops are Dell, but get juiced up by me)
                - Rebuilding Mercedes-Benz cars (currently doing engine swap on a S500 4Matic)
                - Official nerd glasses with the white tape, from when Mrs. B.H.C. and I got married two years ago
                - Pocket protectors with a pack of M&M's in 'em (each place setting at the reception had one of those as well, along with the nerd glasses)

                Is my disk hard enough for you yet?
                Meh, mid tier nerd. Bonus points for taped glasses and pocket protector though.
                vindicta inducit ad salutem?

                Comment

                • #23
                  the86d
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Jul 2011
                  • 9591

                  Originally posted by Cowboy T


                  OK, that's pretty good. Here's my nerd cred.

                  - All the AD&D books from the 1970's and 1980's, plus a few sets of D4's through D20's (that includes the original Deities & Demigods, before the lawsuit resulting in the revision, "Legends & Lore")
                  - Redundant OpenBSD firewalls using CARP and spamd, with a real DMZ
                  - Hosting my own Web, DNS (yep, I'm authoritative), and email on Raspberry Pi's, naturally running Raspbian, on static-IP FiOS link
                  - Slackware and Kubuntu daily-driver boxes
                  - SIEM, to help detect attacks
                  - I build all of our desktop computers, nothing store-bought (laptops are Dell, but get juiced up by me)
                  - Rebuilding Mercedes-Benz cars (currently doing engine swap on a S500 4Matic)
                  - Official nerd glasses with the white tape, from when Mrs. B.H.C. and I got married two years ago
                  - Pocket protectors with a pack of M&M's in 'em (each place setting at the reception had one of those as well, along with the nerd glasses)

                  Is my disk hard enough for you yet?
                  Hahahhaa
                  I've got Deities & Demigods, 1st edition Gygax PHB and DMG (both covers of each, as I recall), with some modules, then some 2nd Editon PHB and DMG, and I think it is 4th edition, all in a large 40mm ammo can (I think it is 40mm) in the garage. I was flipping new sets of dice (and Glock mags during last year's panic ), for an easy flip for a while on eBay, when I had child care fees...

                  Ran like 2 sessions with my daughter and Wife, like 2 years ago, as they never played.
                  They were D&D-curious, as we got a current box-set at Target, and I was curious about that.

                  (I still don't know how the new AC system works w/out THAC0... as I really last played with second edition rules.)
                  Last edited by the86d; 08-14-2021, 8:34 AM.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  UA-8071174-1