Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Internet Speed Suggestion

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • nine mil thrill
    Senior Member
    • Sep 2010
    • 1058

    Internet Speed Suggestion

    my "agreement", with Comcast is getting close to ending, and I would like to reduce my viewing package, as well as my Internet speed. I currently have a plan that gives me a max speed of 1 GB.
    I have a home computer, 4 wireless security cams, 1 Shield and 1 Firestick.

    My question is.......what speed could I reduce to that would support my wireless cams, etc. ?
    sigpic
  • #2
    the86d
    Calguns Addict
    • Jul 2011
    • 9591

    Testing live streams during playback, Downstream, streaming non-4k seems to avg about 1.5-3MB/SEC, per stream, netflix, hulu, or youtube, BUT I am not sure about 4k, as I have no 4k to test that...

    If connecting to the cams remotely, it needs to be in the multi megabits, depending on the res. up, not huge if not 4k I assume.
    Last edited by the86d; 04-28-2021, 10:19 AM.

    Comment

    • #3
      ibanezfoo
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Apr 2007
      • 12400

      Originally posted by nine mil thrill
      my "agreement", with Comcast is getting close to ending, and I would like to reduce my viewing package, as well as my Internet speed. I currently have a plan that gives me a max speed of 1 GB.
      I have a home computer, 4 wireless security cams, 1 Shield and 1 Firestick.

      My question is.......what speed could I reduce to that would support my wireless cams, etc. ?
      We have a whole fabrication facility with ~20 security cams, couple hundred computers, robots, etc.... it was running off 200/200 for a long time. This facility is at 1gig now. All our main facilities are. Some of the smaller shops are still at 200 though. You really have to look at the peak usage of your devices. 4K streaming eats a bit and if I recall the recommendation is 20meg per stream. But if you aren't using that you could probably drop down to 100-200 meg and be fine. My Spectrum account is 400 meg for 65 bucks. No TV or anything though, its not necessary with the Firestick and shady apps.
      vindicta inducit ad salutem?

      Comment

      • #4
        Marauder2003
        Waiting for Abs
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Aug 2010
        • 3126

        The cams do not factor in unless they store in the cloud or are viewable via the internet.

        I did OK with 75/75 with 3 cams, smart TV and a couple of PCs.
        #NotMyPresident
        #ArrestFauci
        sigpic

        Comment

        • #5
          nine mil thrill
          Senior Member
          • Sep 2010
          • 1058

          speed

          Originally posted by Marauder2003
          The cams do not factor in unless they store in the cloud or are viewable via the internet.

          I did OK with 75/75 with 3 cams, smart TV and a couple of PCs.
          yes my cams do store in the cloud and are viewable on the internet.
          sigpic

          Comment

          • #6
            Megalomegalodon
            Senior Member
            • Apr 2014
            • 798

            Never heard of someone wanting to lower their internet speed. I have Spectrum 400/20 and am waiting for GIG to become available. With most providers, anything other than GIG will have a high DL speed but a painfully slow upload speed.
            NRA Endowment Member

            Comment

            • #7
              Misterclick
              Member
              • Jun 2013
              • 496

              A gigibit connection for most households is like using a F350 to get a bag of groceries each day. I seriously doubt most folks ever exceed the 50 to 100MB range simply streaming, etc.

              Also, most residential that are paying for gig never actually get gig...

              Comment

              • #8
                nine mil thrill
                Senior Member
                • Sep 2010
                • 1058

                speed

                Originally posted by Megalomegalodon
                Never heard of someone wanting to lower their internet speed. I have Spectrum 400/20 and am waiting for GIG to become available. With most providers, anything other than GIG will have a high DL speed but a painfully slow upload speed.
                reason why i want to reduce speed and channel selection, is my "special rate" will expire shortly, and my comcast bill will go up 50.00. i just retired last december.......and its time to reel in some of the excessive bills.
                sigpic

                Comment

                • #9
                  SkyHawk
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Sep 2012
                  • 23531

                  Originally posted by nine mil thrill
                  my "agreement", with Comcast is getting close to ending, and I would like to reduce my viewing package, as well as my Internet speed. I currently have a plan that gives me a max speed of 1 GB.
                  I have a home computer, 4 wireless security cams, 1 Shield and 1 Firestick.

                  My question is.......what speed could I reduce to that would support my wireless cams, etc. ?
                  Your 1Gb Comcast speed is unlikely to be 1Gb symmetrical. Likely your upload speed is much less. And that is the speed that your cameras depend on.

                  The question then is, what is your upload speed now (run a test), what other service levels are available to you, and specifically at what upload speeds?
                  Click here for my iTrader Feedback thread: https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...r-feedback-100

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    DaveInOroValley
                    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                    CGN Contributor
                    • Jan 2010
                    • 8968

                    Originally posted by SkyHawk
                    Your 1Gb Comcast speed is unlikely to be 1Gb symmetrical. Likely your upload speed is much less. And that is the speed that your cameras depend on.

                    The question then is, what is your upload speed now (run a test), what other service levels are available to you, and specifically at what upload speeds?
                    Our XFinity which is Comcast I believe runs about 40 up with the 1GB service. We get around 500 plus down wireless and if closer to the router about 830 but only gets close to 1GB when connected via Ethernet and not wireless.
                    NRA Life Member

                    Vet since 1978

                    "Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      nine mil thrill
                      Senior Member
                      • Sep 2010
                      • 1058

                      yes, my upload is 40 mb
                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        hermosabeach
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Feb 2009
                        • 19836

                        40 upload

                        Originally posted by nine mil thrill
                        yes, my upload is 40 mb
                        If 40 works on the upload...you really need to look at the packages....

                        In my Area we were acquired by spectrum... They only go up in min speed...

                        They Won't let people pay less than X per month for internet.....

                        They keep playing games with upload and download speeds to justify the amount of money they want to make.


                        Most people just download... Video games are the upload hog in many households.... in your case its Camera's uploading video...

                        I don't think they will le me go below 200 MBS on Download... its the slowest new service they offer....


                        I would drop to a lower speed.... If it does not work, it takes an hour the speed you back up
                        Rule 1- ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

                        Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

                        Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

                        Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
                        (thanks to Jeff Cooper)

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          the86d
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Jul 2011
                          • 9591

                          40/40 would be great for the majority of the GEN-POP...
                          80/80 would be better for everyone, but asymmetrical is typical.

                          We survived on I think it was 30-40/15 for the majority of the time we have been in this house for 11+ years, and I recently moved to 500/500, which is WAY overkill, HOWEVER the PR0N, and data flows in the streets with the blood of the non-believers...

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            SkyHawk
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Sep 2012
                            • 23531

                            Originally posted by nine mil thrill
                            yes, my upload is 40 mb
                            What are the other packages they offer? Do they offer a 100/40 or a 200/40? You could probably go as low as 20 up with only 4 cams if they are only sending motion triggered data. If they are streaming up to the cloud 24x7 non-stop at HD, then you may want 30 or 40.

                            You do need some upload bandwidth in reserve to get good download speeds, because you have to be able to acknowledge packets received (although not as much for streaming type video or audio).
                            Last edited by SkyHawk; 04-28-2021, 5:17 PM.
                            Click here for my iTrader Feedback thread: https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...r-feedback-100

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Megalomegalodon
                              Senior Member
                              • Apr 2014
                              • 798

                              Originally posted by Misterclick
                              A gigibit connection for most households is like using a F350 to get a bag of groceries each day. I seriously doubt most folks ever exceed the 50 to 100MB range simply streaming, etc.

                              Also, most residential that are paying for gig never actually get gig...
                              Had ATT fiber and got roughly 940 up and down. I actually made good use of the upload between work and gaming. My kids Akzo game and v games like COD benefit from a high upload. Working from home and transferring files back to the office also requires a high upload speed. OP sounds like he's fine with around 40 up but for me, uploading a 3GB file quickly speeds productivity.
                              NRA Endowment Member

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1