Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

New tablet recommendation

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • lone shooter
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2014
    • 2486

    New tablet recommendation

    Considering buy a new tablet. All my former tablets have been android. Should I stick with android or buy a windows tablet?

    What about the Amazon Fire tablet?

    TIA
    The koolaid only works if EVERYONE drinks it - Jim Jones
  • #2
    ErikC12
    Member
    • Feb 2019
    • 344

    Stay away from the Fire tablets, they'll only install apps from the Amazon store. For Windows might as well get a laptop. Stick with Android or Apple for tablets.

    Comment

    • #3
      lone shooter
      Senior Member
      • Dec 2014
      • 2486

      ^ So I have a very slow Toshiba (android) tablet and a few gens old IPad.

      The IPad works great for surfing the net. But I hate not being able to d/l movies and pretty much anything I want onto it like an android tablet.

      I use the tablet for entertainment purposes when I travel on planes with no "personal entertainment" capabilities.
      The koolaid only works if EVERYONE drinks it - Jim Jones

      Comment

      • #4
        67Cuda
        Senior Member
        • Oct 2013
        • 1721

        Samsung makes a good tablet.
        Originally posted by ivanimal
        People that call other member stupid get time off.
        So much for being honest.

        Comment

        • #5
          DrewN
          Senior Member
          • Sep 2012
          • 1887

          I mean, the Fires are dirt cheap. If all you want to do is watch TV and surf the net they are fine. Perfect for kids for example. I have the 7th gen 10" and have no complaints.

          Comment

          • #6
            Den60
            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
            CGN Contributor
            • Jul 2016
            • 2695

            Originally posted by 67Cuda
            Samsung makes a good tablet.
            Yeah, I have a Samsung 10" tablet I use mainly for music. I don't have one with cellular capabilities because I can always use my phone as a "hot spot" should I need to. Works fine for my needs and didn't break the bank either.


            Mojave Lever Crew Member

            "It is time for us to do what we have been doing and that time is every day. Every day it is time for us to agree that there are things and tools that are available to us to slow this thing down." - Kamala "Heels Up" Harris

            Comment

            • #7
              lone shooter
              Senior Member
              • Dec 2014
              • 2486

              Costco currently has a Samsung Tab A 10.1" w/ 128 storage for $250.

              Probably going to grab that.
              The koolaid only works if EVERYONE drinks it - Jim Jones

              Comment

              • #8
                Jeepergeo
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2012
                • 3507

                Samsung Tabs are nice and support all kinds of Apps. Costco deals are pretty good, and you can find them on Amazon too. Get the most memory you can afford.
                Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
                Life Member, California Rifle and Pistol Association

                Comment

                • #9
                  whutsup40
                  CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                  CGN Contributor
                  • Mar 2009
                  • 2727

                  I have 2 fire tablets, just used for music and games, never an issue, bought my wife a nice hp laptop on amazon for a really good price, she watches' movies on that and loves it.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Misterclick
                    Member
                    • Jun 2013
                    • 496

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      SnWnMe
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Feb 2007
                      • 6897

                      8" Lenovo tablets are $99 at WalMart. They're Androids.
                      Frank Da Tank

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Zorba
                        Banned
                        • May 2014
                        • 767

                        Get a MS Surface. It runs a REAL operating system (even if it *is* Windows) and will run REAL software, not limited and crippled "Apps". It will also allow a REAL keyboard and REAL mouse for those times you need them, and they detach and "go away" for those times you do not.
                        Or yea, get a laptop if you don't need touchscreen capability - but it sounds like you do.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          MrFancyPants
                          Senior Member
                          • Jun 2017
                          • 1160

                          Originally posted by Zorba
                          Get a MS Surface. It runs a REAL operating system (even if it *is* Windows) and will run REAL software, not limited and crippled "Apps". It will also allow a REAL keyboard and REAL mouse for those times you need them, and they detach and "go away" for those times you do not.
                          WTF did I just read? So much fanboi-ism fail here.

                          Maybe some people buy a tablet to only do specific things, and don't need it to be an all in one device. Why exactly is Android not a "real" OS? I have two Android tablets and we have Android phones, none of our apps are "crippled". They work very well for their intended use. Try running a native ebook reader app on your Windows tablet, it's a craptastic experience. Disclaimer: I also have a Windows tablet, and like the Android tablets it's good at its intended use, but certainly not the best at everything.

                          Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            the86d
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Jul 2011
                            • 9591

                            I REALLY like the 7-8" tablets due to the fact they fit in slacks-front, or a jeans-back pocket.

                            I bought a few to try out over the last few years, and I like the LG double-tap screen to wake the screen feature, but I think others could have implemented something similar, but unsure. MUCH better than finding the power button to wake, depending on orientation...

                            REALLY like the price of the eBay last-gen (or 2-gen ago) LG tablets, like the phones I get there: 32-64GB NIB: $135-$200, and if the screens break, no big deal/loss, buy another, newer model then, but never broke one yet (knock on wood).

                            Make sure to get something that supports 5GHz WiFi if you want to use faster than 2.4GHz pipes/channels for less interference/re-trans'ed packets, I made the mistake of buying "802.11N" tablets 2x w/out knowing this...
                            Last edited by the86d; 08-09-2019, 5:34 AM.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              gorn5150
                              Senior Member
                              • Aug 2007
                              • 1453

                              I have windows, apple, android and fire tablets. Fire tablets are neutered androids. They are cheap and OK. My android tablet is an ASUS. It is pretty amazing and a lot cheaper then samsung. The windows is a surface pro. It functions as a laptop with the keyboard cover and is amazingly fast. My ipad pros have the best sound of all of my tablets wit the quad speakers. I like them all. You just need to figure out which will work best for you.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1