Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

I phone x or samsung 9s?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • WASR10
    • Aug 2011
    • 2455

    I phone x or samsung 9s?

    I'm sorry if this has been done to death. I don't follow tech circles all that much so please have patience with me.

    It's time for a new phone and I wonder which to get. I have used Samsung devices since I switched from Nokia 16 years ago. I have no complaints except certain updates that had to be corrected. Everyone is telling me to switch over to iphone, that I'll never look back, so on and so on.

    So my question is two-fold: 1) of the two, iphone x or samsung 9, which did you choose? Why? And 2) of those who switched from android to iphone os, what apps or functions did you find most different, hard to get used to, or miss?

    I don't want this to turn in to fanboy against fanboy, glock vs 1911, ak vs ar etc... just share your experience, your decision, and thanks for any help!!!
    Last edited by WASR10; 07-07-2018, 5:14 PM.
    Mark 16:16
  • #2
    readysetgo
    CGSSA Coordinator
    • Aug 2011
    • 8694

    Was just reading a bit about Iphone X. Some articles were saying to wait until September for a new release.

    My wife and kids have iphones, I have a knock off Android, use to have iphone 4. Iphone is pretty intuitive, shouldn't be hard to learn on.
    Stand up and be counted, or lay down and be mounted... -Mac

    Comment

    • #3
      aghauler
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2011
      • 4794

      tag

      Comment

      • #4
        Endless
        Banned
        • Feb 2010
        • 1881

        Samsung makes great TVs. Phones ? Not so much. I am a former owner and switched to Apple about 8 years ago. I don’t care about a million features or space.

        I have an iPhone X and haven’t had issues and I received mine in November of 2017. I owned a 5 and 6+ and only issue I had was with the battery. That’s been the only negative for me for iPhones. I have a 75 inch curved Samsung TV and it’s great. That’s as far as I would go with Samsung. Had a few poor experiences and poor customer service and that’s all I needdd to jump ship.

        I would wait for the new IPhone X coming in September. There are suppose to new ones that are going to be more affordable and not $1000.
        Last edited by Endless; 07-07-2018, 7:02 PM.

        Comment

        • #5
          Califpatriot
          Senior Member
          • Jul 2016
          • 2438

          Neither.


          $456 shipped open-box. $550 new on Amazon. Why:

          1. iPhone X has 2700 MAH (but is very good at optimizing it.) S9 has 3000 MAH. This has 4000 MAH. The battery life is insane on this phone.
          2. It has a great camera, on par with the S9 and the iPhone X.
          3. 6 GB of RAM. iPhone has 3, S9 has 4. Fantastic processor, on par with the iPhone X and S9. Water-resistant. Huge screen in a small package. Not much difference.
          4. Interface easy to use if you're used to Android. I find Apple products incomprehensible, but that's because I don't use them.
          5. Way cheaper than S9 or iPhone X.
          In case it wasn't obvious, nothing I write here should be interpreted as legal advice.

          Comment

          • #6
            WASR10
            • Aug 2011
            • 2455

            Thank you everyone. Some things for me to consider for sure!
            Mark 16:16

            Comment

            • #7
              BlackyHouston
              Member
              • Nov 2014
              • 329

              It's about control and options

              You can do more with a SAMSUNG in the way it runs and looks

              But if you don't want or care about that an APPLE is a Solid Choice.


              Originally posted by WASR10
              I'm sorry if this has been done to death. I don't follow tech circles all that much so please have patience with me.

              It's time for a new phone and I wonder which to get. I have used Samsung devices since I switched from Nokia 16 years ago. I have no complaints except certain updates that had to be corrected. Everyone is telling me to switch over to iphone, that I'll never look back, so on and so on.

              So my question is two-fold: 1) of the two, iphone x or samsung 9, which did you choose? Why? And 2) of those who switched from android to iphone os, what apps or functions did you find most different, hard to get used to, or miss?

              I don't want this to turn in to fanboy against fanboy, glock vs 1911, ak vs ar etc... just share your experience, your decision, and thanks for any help!!!

              Comment

              • #8
                sholling
                I need a LIFE!!
                CGN Contributor
                • Sep 2007
                • 10360

                If you need or prefer a "training wheels" experience then Apple products are a great way to go. Apple maintains absolute control over your hardware, your software choices, and your user experience for you (and their bottom line). They won't even allow you to add more storage short of buying a new phone. If you need or desire that level of hand holding then Apple products are a rock solid choice.

                I prefer a lot more control over my experience. When I decided I wanted more than 64GB of storage in my Samsung S8 I just popped a 256GB microSD card into the slot for a total of 320GB of storage. When I want to add files I just copy them over using wifi and an app (FX file manager from Google Play) pretty much like using a PC. As for Samsung's version of Android I like it a lot. It's not quite as lightweight as stock Android but it's a bit more functional and since the S7 the hardware has been plenty fast enough to support it.

                Hardware wise there isn't a huge difference. Both are well made, both are fast for what are basically pocket computers with built in phones and both take great pictures for a point and shoot camera. The Samsung phones should receive new versions of Android for two years but not as fast as they should. Apple tends to support older phones longer. On the other hand Samsung S9s are weather resistant and have headphone jacks.

                My advice is to go to your carrier's store, handle both for a bit and only then choose the one that you like better. Either are great choices.
                Last edited by sholling; 07-08-2018, 11:25 AM.
                "Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." --FREDERIC BASTIAT--

                Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association, the Second Amendment Foundation, and the California Rifle & Pistol Association

                Comment

                • #9
                  BigPimping
                  CGN Contributor
                  • Feb 2010
                  • 21481

                  I would not give Apple a dime. That is an evil empire.
                  sigpic

                  PIMP stands for Positive Intellectual Motivated Person

                  When pimping begins, friendship ends.

                  Don't let your history be a mystery

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    gorn5150
                    Senior Member
                    • Aug 2007
                    • 1453

                    Huawei make good phones but are controlled by the Chinese military. If you don't mind red china spying on you along with the NSA then you can save some money buying them.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Califpatriot
                      Senior Member
                      • Jul 2016
                      • 2438

                      Originally posted by gorn5150
                      Huawei make good phones but are controlled by the Chinese military. If you don't mind red china spying on you along with the NSA then you can save some money buying them.
                      Shrug. Work I do has nothing to do with national security, so I'm not really sure why I should care what they know about me. Although huawei has been making high end phones for the European and American markets for years now--you would think if it was sending data to the ChiComs, it would have been discovered by now.
                      In case it wasn't obvious, nothing I write here should be interpreted as legal advice.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        the86d
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Jul 2011
                        • 9587

                        You can get a NIB LG V20 for ~$200, and only like 1-gen behind current.

                        64GB storage, AND you can keep your music, pics, and Vids from the camera on a MicroSD card... SEPARATE from the 64GB internal on-board flash... which means you can move it to your next phone free. This baby STILL has a removable batt and cover, so easy batt swaps, no proc. throttling for you, unlike ALL iPhruity devices!

                        OR you could pay Apple for recurrent iCloud storage... again, and again... ... ...

                        Check the LG V20 specs vs iPhone X specs, and it is still better.

                        Don't buy the more proprietary cables, nor require iTunes to sync.
                        Last edited by the86d; 07-09-2018, 4:56 AM.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          MaHoTex
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Jul 2010
                          • 5002

                          Samsung for me. Wife has I phone. The iPhone is nothing but junk.
                          NRA Life Member

                          sigpic

                          Mr. President, I can't take any more winning! Make it stop Mr. President. The winning is YUGGEEEE!

                          "If you've got a problem with the US, you better make sure it's not a military problem." SSgt Leslie Edwards

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Iknownot
                            Senior Member
                            • Jul 2007
                            • 2174

                            At the most basic level do you want to be in the Apple-verse or the Android - verse with regards to operating systems and app sourcing.

                            There are plus and minuses to both. I’d say that in terms of hardware, any top tier phone from anyone has hit parity with very minor differences. So it really comes down to software / iOS differences and only you know which you prefer.

                            Aside from that, the middle of summer is not the best time to buy a top tier Apple phone. In just a few months it won’t be top tier anymore. So you are basically overpaying at this point, for the 3 months of top tier - ness you’d get out of it.

                            If you really do want an Apple,
                            You’d be much better off getting a refurb 7 from the Apple store or a used 6s or 7 that you know is in decent shape. You’ll be able to sell it for about what you paid for it in 6 months and then you can get whatever the new iPhone is then. That’s a better way to allocate Apple
                            Top tier $ right now.

                            I have no opinion on Samsung as I am not in that universe personally. (Though I help family members with their lower tier Samsung phones. I have no issues with Samsung phones. They seem to me to be very quality for the money. I have some things I prefer in iOS based on what I have seen, so that’s why I am still Apple. ).

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              gorn5150
                              Senior Member
                              • Aug 2007
                              • 1453

                              Originally posted by Califpatriot
                              Shrug. Work I do has nothing to do with national security, so I'm not really sure why I should care what they know about me. Although huawei has been making high end phones for the European and American markets for years now--you would think if it was sending data to the ChiComs, it would have been discovered by now.
                              It has been discovered. That is why they are not allowed by the DOD and Pentagon.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1