Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

wireless transfer of info from phone to computer?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Spyder
    CGN Contributor
    • Mar 2008
    • 17271

    wireless transfer of info from phone to computer?

    Samsung S4, when I hook up the USB cord to the computer it does a bunch of funny stuff then closes. Charges fine.

    The Google machine talked about a few apps and programs but all of them appear to be outdated, obsolete, or unavailable now. I'm sure there's something that's free and easy and secure.

    Anyone have a suggestion?
  • #2
    tradecraft
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2008
    • 4630

    Google Drive?
    Link to my feedback: https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...ser-tradecraft

    Comment

    • #3
      orangeusa
      • Jul 2009
      • 9055

      Are you talking about full backup or actual transfer of info to like say Outlook?

      I have a solution for backup, but need to get the name of the product....

      Comment

      • #4
        Milsurps
        Senior Member
        • May 2010
        • 2232

        Bluetooth, ?
        sigpic
        Dulce Bellum Inexpertis

        NRA Patron Member
        NRA Range Safety Officer
        California Rifle & Pistol Association Member


        I am not a product of my circumstances. I am a product of my decisions.
        كافر

        Comment

        • #5
          Spyder
          CGN Contributor
          • Mar 2008
          • 17271

          Transfer photos from phone to computer hard drive, without using cloud.

          Comment

          • #6
            Fastattack
            Senior Member
            • Mar 2008
            • 1663

            Try AirDroid.

            Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

            Comment

            • #7
              2Stroke
              Member
              • Jan 2017
              • 308

              Yup. Bluetooth if you have a laptop, or a desktop with a Bluetooth adapter.

              Comment

              • #8
                Cokebottle
                Seņor Member
                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                • Oct 2009
                • 32373

                Depends on your carrier.
                Verizon locks down pretty well. You can install Samsung Kies for a little more control and access (USB), but you'll never have unrestricted access to the entire phone unless you are rooted.
                Later updates to Android (I think 5) locked down even more of the drive (to reduce the potential for hacking/malware infection).
                - Rich

                Originally posted by dantodd
                A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.

                Comment

                • #9
                  local_nobody
                  Member
                  • Dec 2012
                  • 320

                  s5 is no problem to load photos from phone to computer via usb....the BIG key is telling the computer what kind of drive the phone is acting like. on some phones, it'll give you the option to click in the notification drawer when you plug it into the computer, others, it's hidden away in the developer settings.

                  failing usb, bluetooth is the most straightforward way to go.

                  Buy ASUS USB-BT400 USB Adapter w/ Bluetooth Dongle Receiver, Laptop & PC Support, Windows 10 Plug and Play /8/7/XP, Printers, Phones, Headsets, Speakers, Keyboards, Controllers with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!


                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Spyder
                    CGN Contributor
                    • Mar 2008
                    • 17271

                    I don't believe my laptop is Bluetooth capable...or somewhere last time I was messing with it a few months ago I read it was a poor way to do it. Guess I'll mess with it tonight some more, before I lose my phone!

                    File Expert app I think was the one I found good reviews on early versions.

                    I think there is a problem with the phone USB port. It does a bunch of funny noises, pops up on the computer screen for a minute, then makes the disconnect sound and only charges the phone. Been that way for probably 2 years now.

                    (Feel free to point and laugh at my very technical terms )

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Joseph Lee
                      Member
                      • May 2013
                      • 356

                      Try a different cable. Your PC should see the phone as an external drive the same as a backup or a DVD drive.

                      Poor or dirty contacts will cause a communication breakdown. If your hardware can't communicate, no downloaded software will help.

                      If the port is bad, you can always get a bluetooth dongle for your PC.
                      Your permission slip is only an election away.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Spyder
                        CGN Contributor
                        • Mar 2008
                        • 17271

                        I've tried several different cables, and they work with other phones. I just tried using Bluetooth on another laptop and while the computer and phone recognize each other, it tells me that there is a driver problem, and that it can not find the correct driver to proceed.

                        With the USB cable, it connects, starts to tell me that the driver is loading, then says it cannot find it. Then it goes to slow charging mode.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Cokebottle
                          Seņor Member
                          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                          • Oct 2009
                          • 32373

                          Iinstall Samsung Kies
                          - Rich

                          Originally posted by dantodd
                          A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Spyder
                            CGN Contributor
                            • Mar 2008
                            • 17271

                            Started looking at coke bottles recommendation and stumbled on the "nearby devices" slide button on phones menu.

                            Took about an hour, but transferred to my laptop via wifi without using any downloaded apps or cloud or bluetooth. How come none of you techies knew about that, huh?

                            Thanks for guidance, I'm averse to learning new technology.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              njineermike
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Dec 2010
                              • 9784

                              Do you have USB debugging enabled in settings?
                              Originally posted by Kestryll
                              Dude went full CNN...
                              Peace, love, and heavy weapons. Sometimes you have to be insistent." - David Lee Roth

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1