Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

22pin ide to USB adapter laptop HD

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Ninety
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2012
    • 4062

    22pin ide to USB adapter laptop HD

    So I've been trying to get the data off this hard drive for sometime. And I just can't seem to order the right adaptor.

    It's a hard drive out of an old Dell laptop. On the drive it says enhanced ide . It has 22 contacts. Flat blade , no gap or break similar to a Nintendo cartridge. Or PCi card.

    Every adapter I've tried to order and hard drive case have been wrong. Ide , sata, etc.. not the one I need.

    Hopefully someone can find one for me and post a link.. Amazon preferred but I'll buy it from just about anywhere

    Thx in advance.

    Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk
    NRA Member
    The Constitution does not bestow wisdom. It's up to the body politic to be wise. -Patriot
    All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.
    -Edmund Burke
    I'd much rather go to my grave never needing my gun, than go there wishing I had it.
    - Phil Dalmolin

    The Battle of Athens was illegal too.
  • #2
    .sam.
    Junior Member
    • May 2014
    • 78

    Originally posted by Ninety
    22 contacts. Flat blade , no gap or break similar to a Nintendo cartridge.
    See if you can pull that flat blade piece off. If it does, there should be 22 pins under there and hopefully one of the IDE you bought already will work.
    COTEFT#45
    Winchester/NRA Basic Pistol: Distinguished Expert

    Comment

    • #3
      Ninety
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2012
      • 4062

      Originally posted by .sam.
      See if you can pull that flat blade piece off. If it does, there should be 22 pins under there and hopefully one of the IDE you bought already will work.
      LMAO.

      Thank you.

      I've been at this for over a year. Off and on

      Lol thx bud.

      Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk
      NRA Member
      The Constitution does not bestow wisdom. It's up to the body politic to be wise. -Patriot
      All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.
      -Edmund Burke
      I'd much rather go to my grave never needing my gun, than go there wishing I had it.
      - Phil Dalmolin

      The Battle of Athens was illegal too.

      Comment

      • #4
        Darryl Licht
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
        • Dec 2012
        • 2259

        Originally posted by Ninety
        So I've been trying to get the data off this hard drive for sometime. And I just can't seem to order the right adaptor.

        It's a hard drive out of an old Dell laptop. On the drive it says enhanced ide . It has 22 contacts. Flat blade , no gap or break similar to a Nintendo cartridge. Or PCi card.

        Every adapter I've tried to order and hard drive case have been wrong. Ide , sata, etc.. not the one I need.

        Hopefully someone can find one for me and post a link.. Amazon preferred but I'll buy it from just about anywhere

        Thx in advance.

        Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk
        You may need an IDE 2.5" (laptop hdd) to IDE 3.5" (desktop hdd) adapter to then be able to use your IDE/SATA/USB adapter. Been a long time since I needed one and I may have one in my old parts bin.

        ... And you'll need a PSU with the proper adapter for that old ide laptop hdd.
        "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one.
        --Thomas Jefferson
        Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. --Groucho Marx

        Comment

        • #5
          dmesloh
          Finally retired
          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
          • Feb 2013
          • 193

          http://http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817155701 I've used these.

          Comment

          • #6
            Ninety
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2012
            • 4062

            So I have two HD s ..

            .sam. was correct that all I had to do was pull of the flat blade adaptor

            One HD I CA read thru windows.. no problem , the other gave me the blue screen of death when I plugged it in.

            So I booted into Linux and tried to read it that way.. I was unable to mount the drive or explore ita contents. I believe the drive to be dead.

            The whole reason I've been trying to get into it, is it contained thousands of my copied cds ,music.

            Not looking good.

            Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk
            NRA Member
            The Constitution does not bestow wisdom. It's up to the body politic to be wise. -Patriot
            All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.
            -Edmund Burke
            I'd much rather go to my grave never needing my gun, than go there wishing I had it.
            - Phil Dalmolin

            The Battle of Athens was illegal too.

            Comment

            • #7
              Darryl Licht
              CGN/CGSSA Contributor
              • Dec 2012
              • 2259

              Originally posted by Ninety
              So I have two HD s ..

              .sam. was correct that all I had to do was pull of the flat blade adaptor

              One HD I CA read thru windows.. no problem , the other gave me the blue screen of death when I plugged it in.

              So I booted into Linux and tried to read it that way.. I was unable to mount the drive or explore ita contents. I believe the drive to be dead.

              The whole reason I've been trying to get into it, is it contained thousands of my copied cds ,music.

              Not looking good.

              Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk
              Some Q's and thoughts:

              What brand is the HDD you cannot read?

              There may be vendor software to try a repair.

              Do you know what file system was used originally?

              See if you can get your hands on a copy of Spinrite from Gibson Research... it can fix many HDD errors of this type!
              "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one.
              --Thomas Jefferson
              Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. --Groucho Marx

              Comment

              • #8
                Ninety
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2012
                • 4062

                Originally posted by Darryl Licht
                Some Q's and thoughts:

                What brand is the HDD you cannot read?

                There may be vendor software to try a repair.

                Do you know what file system was used originally?

                See if you can get your hands on a copy of Spinrite from Gibson Research... it can fix many HDD errors of this type!
                It's a Hitachi
                DK23EB-04

                Iwill look into that software and search the vendor

                Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk
                NRA Member
                The Constitution does not bestow wisdom. It's up to the body politic to be wise. -Patriot
                All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.
                -Edmund Burke
                I'd much rather go to my grave never needing my gun, than go there wishing I had it.
                - Phil Dalmolin

                The Battle of Athens was illegal too.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Darryl Licht
                  CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                  • Dec 2012
                  • 2259

                  Originally posted by Ninety
                  It's a Hitachi
                  DK23EB-04

                  Iwill look into that software and search the vendor

                  Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk
                  Western Digital bought Hitachi Global Storage Technologies (HGST) about four years ago.

                  Here are the utilities for it:


                  Did the drive even spin up when you connected it? Did it sound normal or click click click???


                  AND ARE YOU SURE ITS A DK23EB-04 and not a DK23EB-40???? it is a 40GB HDD right???
                  Last edited by Darryl Licht; 11-06-2016, 9:29 PM.
                  "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one.
                  --Thomas Jefferson
                  Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. --Groucho Marx

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Ninety
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2012
                    • 4062

                    Originally posted by Darryl Licht
                    Western Digital bought Hitachi Global Storage Technologies (HGST) about four years ago.

                    Here are the utilities for it:


                    Did the drive even spin up when you connected it? Did it sound normal or click click click???
                    I didn't hear either drive spin up. I can read the contents of the wd drive but the Hitachi I can only see volume size. In Linux.

                    In windows it crashed the machine. Not sure if it's because the drive is bad or there's a virus..

                    Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk
                    NRA Member
                    The Constitution does not bestow wisdom. It's up to the body politic to be wise. -Patriot
                    All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.
                    -Edmund Burke
                    I'd much rather go to my grave never needing my gun, than go there wishing I had it.
                    - Phil Dalmolin

                    The Battle of Athens was illegal too.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Darryl Licht
                      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                      • Dec 2012
                      • 2259

                      Originally posted by Ninety
                      I didn't hear either drive spin up. I can read the contents of the wd drive but the Hitachi I can only see volume size. In Linux.

                      In windows it crashed the machine. Not sure if it's because the drive is bad or there's a virus..

                      Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk
                      Are both HDDs 2.5" laptop format???

                      What power supply and connection did you use?

                      Can you post a pic of the drive connected to the adapter and PSU?
                      "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one.
                      --Thomas Jefferson
                      Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. --Groucho Marx

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Ninety
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2012
                        • 4062

                        Originally posted by Darryl Licht
                        Are both HDDs 2.5" laptop format???

                        What power supply and connection did you use?

                        Can you post a pic of the drive connected to the adapter and PSU?
                        I'm just powering it up via USB adaptor

                        Similar to this
                        Caxico New USB 2.0 to IDE SATA S-ATA/2.5/3.5 Adapter Cable (Adapter Cable) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0132JP1D6..._GqbiybK0V5Z8J

                        Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

                        And yes both are 2.5" laptop hds
                        NRA Member
                        The Constitution does not bestow wisdom. It's up to the body politic to be wise. -Patriot
                        All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.
                        -Edmund Burke
                        I'd much rather go to my grave never needing my gun, than go there wishing I had it.
                        - Phil Dalmolin

                        The Battle of Athens was illegal too.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Darryl Licht
                          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                          • Dec 2012
                          • 2259

                          Both drives (WD and HGST) are 2.5"???

                          IDE usually requires a PSU to power up, I know that's the case for 3.5". Been a long time since I had to do this with a 44pin IDE 2.5" HDD... and I'm getting old so some of my internal HDD may be corrupted! LOL!

                          You really should have heard them spin up when powered up! When connected did it feel like a gyro when held in your hand and powered up?
                          "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one.
                          --Thomas Jefferson
                          Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. --Groucho Marx

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Ninety
                            Veteran Member
                            • Nov 2012
                            • 4062

                            Yes it spools up, unable to mount in Linux

                            Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk
                            Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.
                            NRA Member
                            The Constitution does not bestow wisdom. It's up to the body politic to be wise. -Patriot
                            All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.
                            -Edmund Burke
                            I'd much rather go to my grave never needing my gun, than go there wishing I had it.
                            - Phil Dalmolin

                            The Battle of Athens was illegal too.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Darryl Licht
                              CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                              • Dec 2012
                              • 2259

                              Originally posted by Ninety
                              Yes it spools up, unable to mount in Linux

                              Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk
                              http://imgur.com/vD2xLrE
                              OK... needed to make sure as earlier you said you didn't hear it spin up. SO good it is powering up!

                              Have you tried a csel or slave jumper (according to the image on your HDD sticker?) on those remaining 4 pins? Might need that for OS to recognize.

                              Here is pinout for IDE 44:
                              "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one.
                              --Thomas Jefferson
                              Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. --Groucho Marx

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1