Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Cable Modem and WiFi Combo

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Dnele928
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2014
    • 685

    Cable Modem and WiFi Combo

    Our Time Warner cable modem is old and dated...time to replace. I contacted TW - they were very helpful. They guided me to their list of approved modems, alsong with those that are a combo modem and wifi.

    Does anybody here have any experience with the combo units? It seems like this would be a good thing, since I believe that our current modem and wifi have occasioinal communication problems, requiring a reboot of both.

    Also, is there a modem with auto-reboot capability? Seems like someone would have figured that out by now. Thanks for looking...
  • #2
    NYT
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • Apr 2011
    • 3811

    all in one units tend to have the same if not more problems than separate units. the problem isnt with the end device typically but with an interruption in service from the provider to the home. there are software tools that will prevent this from happening as much though if you are interested.

    i would jump on this deal below:



    pretty good deal for an awesome wireless dual band router and docsis modem. of course check to make sure that the modem is on your authorized use list from your cable company.

    Comment

    • #3
      catmman
      CGSSA Coordinator
      • Jun 2012
      • 455

      I don't see that as being a modem. I would got with any 8 downstream channel DOCSIS 3.0 modem available from Arris or Ubee. I love the Motorola (Arris now) 6782. It has 802.11n and AC. Great modem. Six or seven years ago I would have stayed away from all in one units.
      sigpic

      Comment

      • #4
        orchard
        Member
        • Jan 2011
        • 152

        Skip the combo.... Comcast here broadcasts on the wireless making your connection a "hotspot". If they ever buy TW it will be the same

        Comment

        • #5
          Satex
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
          CGN Contributor
          • Feb 2006
          • 3501

          All in one units tend to have the worst firmware, and worst support.
          I use a cable modem and a router+wifi behind it. Neither have ever given me grief.

          Comment

          • #6
            catmman
            CGSSA Coordinator
            • Jun 2012
            • 455

            Interesting statements but I don't believe them to be true. I have lots of wifi routers where the firmware was never updated because they were too busy launching new products. As far as the guest hotspot that is only with modems that are provided by the Cable MSO.
            sigpic

            Comment

            • #7
              ebencikiv
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2010
              • 4527

              I have one it sucks i had faster speeds over wifi with my own equipment. I am in the process of getting new hardware asap. they did try and use it as a hot spot it took over 20 times to turn it off srs over 20 times. Haha i finaly got the hot spot shut down f that noise.

              Posting on my phone

              Comment

              • #8
                msternin
                CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                CGN Contributor
                • Jan 2015
                • 881

                you will absolutely get better wifi coverage with a unit that has external antennas versus internal.

                Comment

                • #9
                  catmman
                  CGSSA Coordinator
                  • Jun 2012
                  • 455

                  I don't really agree with that statement. Especially with beamforming.
                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    slicksetter
                    Member
                    • Dec 2012
                    • 315

                    I have the modem and router combo from TW and it's been great. Im getting 53down and 5up. They also sell on amazon to get away from the lease they sent me a ARRIS dg1670a. After set up I plugged in the old router and left all 3 networks going. This also a lows me to unplug the router to the children's devices when punished ...

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      readysetgo
                      CGSSA Coordinator
                      • Aug 2011
                      • 8694

                      Just switched to TWC and bought this ARRIS / Motorola Surfboard DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem with AC1600 WiFi Router (SBG6700AC) @ $145

                      Only four days, so FWIW, but it's working great.


                      eta: Oh, if you buy one off Amazon, use this link http://www.amazon.com/?_encoding=UTF...lgushootspo-20 and Calguns Shooting Sports Assoc get's a boost.
                      Last edited by readysetgo; 06-02-2015, 7:05 PM.
                      Stand up and be counted, or lay down and be mounted... -Mac

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Iknownot
                        Senior Member
                        • Jul 2007
                        • 2174

                        Get the fasted Motorola surfboard modem you can afford. Get a good separate wifi router. You will have way way way less problems than going with cable co equipment or your own combo modem/router.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          APV
                          Senior Member
                          • Feb 2011
                          • 620

                          Originally posted by Dnele928
                          Our Time Warner cable modem is old and dated...time to replace. I contacted TW - they were very helpful. They guided me to their list of approved modems, alsong with those that are a combo modem and wifi.

                          Does anybody here have any experience with the combo units? It seems like this would be a good thing, since I believe that our current modem and wifi have occasioinal communication problems, requiring a reboot of both.

                          Also, is there a modem with auto-reboot capability? Seems like someone would have figured that out by now. Thanks for looking...
                          I have a wifi modem/router from Comcast XFINITY. It works fine with my home network of a TV and up to 4 or 5 video streaming computers/lpads/xboxes. The wifi router shown on the TW website looks similar to the one provided by Comcast. When I checked last time models available on the web this one looked good enough. It looks the same as Readysetgo mentioned above.
                          XFINITY - ARRIS Touchstone DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem and Wireless Router with Telephony Adapter

                          Xifinit router.jpg
                          Last edited by APV; 06-03-2015, 9:02 AM.
                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          UA-8071174-1