Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

is .45 acp fmj adequate for self defence?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Sikvenum93
    Senior Member
    • Jul 2014
    • 2181

    is .45 acp fmj adequate for self defence?

    I was curious since .45 acp fmj developed such a manstopper reputation in the past, would it be wise to use .45 acp fmj for defence if one could not afford to practise and test out hollowpoint loads?
    Last edited by Sikvenum93; 01-26-2015, 7:10 PM.
    Wise men seldom speak. - Arcus
  • #2
    Bangzoom
    Calguns Addict
    • Jul 2012
    • 6793

    yes

    Comment

    • #3
      Condorguns
      Still lost in the desert
      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
      • Dec 2007
      • 3302

      Yes .
      You, you, and you: Panic. The rest of you, come with me.
      Incoming fire has the right of way.

      Comment

      • #4
        mabilis_matulis
        Calguns Addict
        • Oct 2012
        • 5121

        It will surely hurt...
        sigpic
        "its hard to face the problem if the problem is your face"

        Comment

        • #5
          Sikvenum93
          Senior Member
          • Jul 2014
          • 2181

          Originally posted by mabilis_matulis
          It will surely hurt...
          Thanks captain obvious. I like to practise with my defence loads and .45acp jhp ammo is so much more expensive than 9mm.
          Wise men seldom speak. - Arcus

          Comment

          • #6
            cannon
            In Memoriam
            • Aug 2008
            • 8589

            Punching an almost 1/2 inch hole in people is very effective.
            ^^ Said by some lunatic on the internet

            Comment

            • #7
              cc56
              Senior Member
              • May 2006
              • 746

              I say yes. not to restate what everyone says, but it all comes down to shot placement. If you can train and be a great marksman with FMJ, or suck as a marksman but have JHP at $1.25 a shoot bullets in your gun.... I say do FMJ and be a great marksman. A hand hit with a 44 mag is worse than a head hit with a 22LR. It is all about shot placement!

              Comment

              • #8
                Oceanbob
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Jun 2010
                • 12720

                Yes.

                Really, all you need.
                May the Bridges I burn light the way.

                Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

                Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).

                Comment

                • #9
                  mossy
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Dec 2007
                  • 7430

                  It will do the job if you hit the target.
                  best troll thread in calguns history
                  http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=406739



                  burn the circus down cuz the world is full of clowns

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Steve_In_29
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2009
                    • 5682

                    .451" hole, whats not to like?

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Sikvenum93
                      Senior Member
                      • Jul 2014
                      • 2181

                      that's what I was thinking. The hole would already be big enough to hit some vital areas. Is over penetration an issue with .45 fmj?
                      Wise men seldom speak. - Arcus

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        MrExel17
                        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                        CGN Contributor
                        • Feb 2011
                        • 9170

                        45ACP= Manstopper...I agree!
                        "Professionals practice to get it right, Operators practise to get it wrong."

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          FourTenJaeger
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Oct 2010
                          • 11540

                          I often ask myself, would I want to be shot once, or multiple times with this? When considering what to carry for the day.

                          The answer is always ''no.''

                          Therefore it's good for self defense.
                          Saturday Night Special Expert
                          CGTS Captain and Founder
                          Firearms Collector

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            dobek
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2009
                            • 651

                            FMJ will work well BUT - you may have to deal with over penetration. You may hit bad guy - and shoot thru to bystander. Also, bullet wounds generally are lethal due to blood loss - hollow point makes bigger holes with more "temporary" wound cavity - the shock of the bullet messing up body parts / organs and flowers out to tear more tissue (increased blood loss)

                            The #1 stopping power factor is mental - the bad guy goes "sheet, I've been shot" and generally stops attack ---- any round will provide this aspect of stopping power

                            But hollow point will be a better choice for blood loss - penetration stopping factor

                            Come on now - are you really worried about spending $20 for 20 hollow points vs $10 for same quantity of FMJ. Your life is worth the extra $10

                            Steve

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Josh3239
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Dec 2006
                              • 9200

                              Worked well enough on Nazis.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1