Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

80% arms easy jig review

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • jvh22a
    Senior Member
    • Jul 2012
    • 738

    80% arms easy jig review

    i was in the market for an 80% and jig to put together an ar pistol in 5.56 and 9mm. I was never into or like the ar pistol until recently with all the sse talks.

    i have an 80% lower already that was done on a CNC for a rifle and that was really easy.
    im the kind of person that likes to tinker so i got the 80% arms easy jig kit and lower to see how easy it really is and that the router plate is nice and big. this helps keep the trim router flat.

    Note to anyone looking to get an 80%; it is not cheaper. Add jig, lower, bits, router/drill press, and laser engraving all add up. you can get a 100% lower OTD for quite a bit lower then $100.

    i have never used or owned a router before so this is all new to me. the easy jig tolerance is really tight. one thing i messed up on was the main pocket template. i put the plate upside down cause the tolerance was tight and i thought the lip would not go into router plate. this is my fault i didnt ready the instructions, just followed the youtube vid. i found that the "80percents" vid is a bit better in that it shows the way the plate should be. but this is in no way 80% arms fault; it is all mine. it didnt really make a difference until you are close to the end of your cut.


    the side with the lip faces up. mine was really tight so i thought it wouldnt fit. looking back i feel real stupid to not try i should have known better, bit it didnt affect the routing.



    i used a rigid trimmer router that had a micro adjust on the top. i would have pproblems with this cause the adjustment knob would move and drop the bit and the router would jump. nothing major and after a few times i just keep my finger on the knob so it doesnt move when routing.

    i would like to see 80% arms add 2 spacers for the lower part of the jig. this way it will space out the jig to help it clamp down evenly. i had tighten the jig and found that the lower part would bow out a bit. i just backed out all the bolts and held the jig in my hand and mad sure it is completely flat.
    besides that is was smooth sailing and a truely easy way to finish your lower.

    -lower
    only problem i found was the safety detent hole needed to be drilled out. other then that is worked perfect. mags drop smooth and everything fits perfect.

    after drilling was finished, i found a few places that the chips had marked and/or embedded so it wasnt smooth. my friends tactical machine was the same way. so next time i would tape up the gaps so the chips dont fall into the side of the plates.



    over all this is way easier then i had thought. by the time i was half way routing the main pocket, i found that i can just keep my finger on the adjustment knob and lower the bit as i cut. This way i dont have to turn it off to adjust depth of cut. just dont do this when you are close to the end.

    80% arms has a deal if you buy a jig, lower, and finish it you can get another lower for free. just post up a review; good or bad. So this is my review and if you have any questions feel free to ask.









    Last edited by jvh22a; 12-09-2014, 2:11 PM.
  • #2
    protohyp
    Vendor/Retailer
    • Sep 2014
    • 3349

    I just did a post on this in the Centerfire section...great jig. it would be my choice all the way
    MESSAGE ME FOR ARMAGLOCK COUPON CODES!!!!
    3 kits at 200.00
    4 kits at 250.00


    MANTIS BLACKBEARD X AFFILIATE LINK https://mantisx.idevaffiliate.com/id...id=528&url=172

    DRYFIREMAG AFFILIATE LINK https://www.dryfiremag.com/?ref=Protohyp

    Comment

    • #3
      jvh22a
      Senior Member
      • Jul 2012
      • 738

      way easier then a drill press. no reason to even use a drill press to finish the FCG pocket. the router was really fast.

      also when drilling the trigger hole. make sure you brace yourself. my work bench is a bit high so i was tip toeing and the cut right into the trigger guard. it wasnt bad, just looks like a pilot hole was being drilled. but once painted you cant really tell.

      Comment

      • #4
        Phat Daddy
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
        CGN Contributor
        • Nov 2008
        • 391

        Nice work! I've been trolling craigslist for a drill press but now you got me thinking. Can you put up a link to the jig? Do you think it would be easier to do with a drill press if multiple lowers are going to be done?
        sigpic
        Faith- Family- Friends- Firearms... What else do you need???

        Comment

        • #5
          protohyp
          Vendor/Retailer
          • Sep 2014
          • 3349

          Easiest with a drill press as the drill bits hit the lower at 90 degrees. You can use a hand drill but the bit may travel and ruin the jig or shorten the life span of the jig. I use the smallest cheapest drill press from harbor freight (even though I have a full size press) and it worked out fine.


          Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
          MESSAGE ME FOR ARMAGLOCK COUPON CODES!!!!
          3 kits at 200.00
          4 kits at 250.00


          MANTIS BLACKBEARD X AFFILIATE LINK https://mantisx.idevaffiliate.com/id...id=528&url=172

          DRYFIREMAG AFFILIATE LINK https://www.dryfiremag.com/?ref=Protohyp

          Comment

          • #6
            Jeepers
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2009
            • 3415

            why is it the few lowers i have seen done with the ez jig have a issue with the front of the FCG pocket ?



            still a good job but wondering why this is happening
            Originally posted by Ronald Reagan
            Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement.

            Comment

            • #7
              protohyp
              Vendor/Retailer
              • Sep 2014
              • 3349

              I believe it may just be user error. If you know where everything stops you should be fine


              Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
              MESSAGE ME FOR ARMAGLOCK COUPON CODES!!!!
              3 kits at 200.00
              4 kits at 250.00


              MANTIS BLACKBEARD X AFFILIATE LINK https://mantisx.idevaffiliate.com/id...id=528&url=172

              DRYFIREMAG AFFILIATE LINK https://www.dryfiremag.com/?ref=Protohyp

              Comment

              • #8
                Jeepers
                Veteran Member
                • Sep 2009
                • 3415

                Originally posted by protohyp
                I believe it may just be user error. If you know where everything stops you should be fine


                Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                maybe , but seems odd as its the same area of the FCG .... in this lower you can see it much better and cant see how it happens unless the jig is being cut with the endmill or that drill hole is off on the jigs

                Originally posted by Ronald Reagan
                Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement.

                Comment

                • #9
                  protohyp
                  Vendor/Retailer
                  • Sep 2014
                  • 3349

                  If it's you first go on the jig you'll get a feel for it on your next one. I'm a woodworker by trade so I'm comfortable looking out for possible issues with any jig but I feel like this one makes sense and was super easy and well thought out


                  Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                  MESSAGE ME FOR ARMAGLOCK COUPON CODES!!!!
                  3 kits at 200.00
                  4 kits at 250.00


                  MANTIS BLACKBEARD X AFFILIATE LINK https://mantisx.idevaffiliate.com/id...id=528&url=172

                  DRYFIREMAG AFFILIATE LINK https://www.dryfiremag.com/?ref=Protohyp

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    sigstroker
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Jan 2009
                    • 19897

                    Did you drill the holes with a hand drill or drill press? I don't have a drill press or a router, and I sure don't want to buy both. Instead of a drill press, do you think I could just use a plunge router to make sure the hole is vertical?

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      protohyp
                      Vendor/Retailer
                      • Sep 2014
                      • 3349

                      A plunge router doesn't have the same size chuck needed for the 3/8" drill bit that is needed for this part of the operation. Maybe you could just borrow a friends or fellow calgunners press


                      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                      MESSAGE ME FOR ARMAGLOCK COUPON CODES!!!!
                      3 kits at 200.00
                      4 kits at 250.00


                      MANTIS BLACKBEARD X AFFILIATE LINK https://mantisx.idevaffiliate.com/id...id=528&url=172

                      DRYFIREMAG AFFILIATE LINK https://www.dryfiremag.com/?ref=Protohyp

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Thunder
                        Senior Member
                        CGN Contributor
                        • Jun 2012
                        • 563

                        Originally posted by Jeepers
                        maybe , but seems odd as its the same area of the FCG .... in this lower you can see it much better and cant see how it happens unless the jig is being cut with the endmill or that drill hole is off on the jigs
                        This is my 80% arms work

                        No hickup in the FCG area. I would guess user error and not checking alignments when setting the jig.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          jvh22a
                          Senior Member
                          • Jul 2012
                          • 738

                          If I had to buy more tools for this project I would get the router. That Is If You Already Have A drill. If you don't, any of your friends, co-worker etc will have one.
                          Drill press is really only used for the first 10min. Would a drill press help, sure but that is more money. So it all comes down to what you are ready to spend. For anyone looking for a fun and easy project this is it. But going 80% route will not save you any money, not even close.

                          I pic above with the front part of the Fc pocket is not even, I'm not sure but I removed the jig quite a bit so that might have something to do with it. And for the first half of the FCG pocket work I had the template upside down. Not that it should affect the cut. It should only affect depth.

                          But I'm ok with it. I didn't even notice it till you guys brought it up. Everything works and that is all I need. And 80% arms are great. They answreed all my stupid questions even at like 2am. So i will keep supporting them if I ever do more ( thinking Ar10 now).

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            jvh22a
                            Senior Member
                            • Jul 2012
                            • 738

                            Originally posted by sigstroker
                            Did you drill the holes with a hand drill or drill press? I don't have a drill press or a router, and I sure don't want to buy both. Instead of a drill press, do you think I could just use a plunge router to make sure the hole is vertical?

                            If you are near me you can borrow my router. It is a basic ridgid. It Works great. As for drill press, I don't have one anymore. I used a hand drill that is about 14 years old. Worked fine. The metal isnt hard to drill, it's keeping the drill straight.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              jvh22a
                              Senior Member
                              • Jul 2012
                              • 738

                              I was curious and went to check my main template jig. It is hard to see but you can feel a ridge right where the curved part on the lower is



                              Last edited by jvh22a; 12-11-2014, 12:47 AM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1