Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Quality of stocks

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ilikerugers
    Member
    • Jan 2009
    • 151

    Quality of stocks

    I stopped in Dicks the other day, just to see what they had behind the counter. Is it me, or do all of the stocks look like crap? Marlins, Mossbergs, Rugers - what the heck? Doesn't anyone make nice walnut stocks anymore? Or, was it just Dicks' selection? The stock on my 20 year old Benjamin Sheridan pellet rifle looks nicer than that on a $500 Marlin today.
  • #2
    brianm767
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2006
    • 2391

    I don't know, but I've seen some pretty nice stocks on some Marlin lever actions? But Rugers have looked pretty plain and boring for awhile.

    Comment

    • #3
      Mitch
      Mostly Harmless
      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
      • Mar 2008
      • 6580

      Nice walnut stocks cost more than cheap birch or plastic stocks, and Walmart and Home Depot have taught us that cheaper is better no matter what. If you disagree, you must hate America.
      Originally posted by cockedandglocked
      Getting called a DOJ shill has become a rite of passage around here. I've certainly been called that more than once - I've even seen Kes get called that. I haven't seen Red-O get called that yet, which is very suspicious to me, and means he's probably a DOJ shill.

      Comment

      • #4
        ocabj
        Calguns Addict
        • Oct 2005
        • 7924

        Try a CZ. Better yet, an Anschutz.

        Distinguished Rifleman #1924
        NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
        NRL22 Match Director at WEGC

        https://www.ocabj.net

        Comment

        • #5
          Merc1138
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Feb 2009
          • 19742

          Most people don't want to pay the money for a nice looking wood stock. As long as it's functional, the look is simply irrelevant to most. Manufacturers are well aware of this, and are not going to put forth the effort to put nice looking wood stocks on basic models of guns you would find in a Dick's, Big5, etc. since those versions would just sit collecting dust while the others that cost significantly less fly off the shelves.

          Comment

          • #6
            Bullitt01
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2013
            • 3905

            What Merc said^^^^^

            Comment

            • #7
              Southwest Chuck
              Senior Member
              • Jul 2009
              • 1942

              Originally posted by Mitch
              Nice walnut stocks cost more than cheap birch or plastic stocks, and Walmart and Home Depot have taught us that cheaper is better no matter what. If you disagree, you must hate America.
              ..... not to mention you must be a racist, too.
              Originally posted by Southwest Chuck
              I am humbled at the efforts of so many Patriots on this and other forums, CGN, CGF, SAF, NRA, CRPF, MDS etc. etc. I am lucky to be living in an era of a new awakening of the American Spirit; One that embraces it's Constitutional History, and it's Founding Fathers vision, especially in an age of such uncertainty that we are now in.
              Originally posted by toby
              Go cheap you will always have cheap and if you sell, it will sell for even cheaper. Buy the best you can every time.
              ^^^ Wise Man. Take his advice

              Comment

              • #8
                Colt.45ACP
                Junior Member
                • May 2010
                • 81

                Years ago a gun store in the L.A. area had a sale and a friend and I went 'cause he wanted a .270. Long story short, the sale guns had birch stocks and the clerk had filled out the paper work on a better stocked rifle.
                Manager caught the mistake too late and said the gun had to be sold at the sale price! Better deal than what that store normally gave!

                Comment

                • #9
                  Jimi Jah
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Jan 2014
                  • 19312

                  Dicks always leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    russ69
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Nov 2009
                    • 9348

                    I hate to say it but it's mostly because the old cheap black walnut trees have been used up.
                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      bsim
                      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                      CGN Contributor
                      • Mar 2008
                      • 892

                      Dicks always leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
                      I see what you did there...
                      NRA Life Member
                      SAF Life Member
                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        jeffyhog
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2010
                        • 2759

                        I agree- the new stocks can't compare to the stocks of yesteryear, at least on otherwise comparable rifles. You can still get nice wood on higher end models, but you're going to pay for it.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          AceGirlsHusband
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2013
                          • 2651

                          In case you're wondering, OP, here is a nice link to show you and tell you just how much a good looking piece of wood costs now:

                          The Finest Show Piece Custom Gunstocks for Our Customer the Old Fashioned Way, where Time and Production is Not a Concern.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            as_rocketman
                            CGSSA Leader
                            • Jan 2011
                            • 3057

                            Nice rifles have nice stocks. Think Winchester 70, Browning, Ruger #1. Stuff like that. And fancy stackbarrels. They exist, but they're not the norm anymore.

                            Most of the market doesn't care about anything but price or is all about tactical fantastic plastic. And the rare consumer who's actually a shooter may just cast off the OEM stock anyhow.

                            What bothers me more than plain / ugly stocks are functionless stocks. Case in point, my old Marlin 70 has a pretty boring stock -- veneer over hardwood, no figure whatsoever -- but it has a good length of pull and a proper Monte Carlo comb on it, and as a result I can shoot it well. It even came with sling swivels (1", but let's not be picky).

                            But a lot of new stocks are not only plastic, but also too flexible and without any thought to sight alignment, and come with no provision for slings. That is weak sauce.

                            There are also times when you just want an ugly rifle, because it's going to get beat up. I fully understand the attraction of taking an AR-15 or AR-10 pattern rifle on a hunt, even if I don't consider them particularly handsome.

                            Having said all that... some folks still appreciate nice materials and craftsmanship. Me too.
                            Riflemen Needed.

                            Ask me about Appleseed! Send a PM or see me in the Appleseed subforum.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Marquand
                              Senior Member
                              • Feb 2013
                              • 1482

                              I've never seen a Henry Arms rifle with anything short of a beautiful stock. As for Marlin, Remington, Ruger, and Weatherby it seems that you are subject to luck of the draw. Kimber rifles that I've handled in person always seem to have nice wood grain stocks. While Browning and Beretta rifles seem to have average wood these days their shotgun stocks always look terrific.
                              "A vote is like a rifle; it's usefulness depends upon the character of the user." - Theodore Roosevelt

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1