Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

1911 Bull Barrel- the real advantage

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Maddawg46
    Senior Member
    • Sep 2012
    • 728

    1911 Bull Barrel- the real advantage

    I just bought a SA Champion. It's got a bull barrel like the TarP and so e of the Kimbers I have seen. After seeing how it field strips..... I figure there must be some great reason they did away with the barrel bushing. It seems to be a pain in the *** to pull the slide off with that little spacer that goes on the guide rod.

    Please tell me why this is better than the barrel bushing.
    This year will go down in history.... Don't want to offend anybody
  • #2
    geoint
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2014
    • 4385

    Im also curious about this. I absolutely hated field stripping my STI Spartan because of that. I eventually got used to it but I still prefer old school 1911s
    Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt

    I Hate California.

    Comment

    • #3
      cindynles
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2008
      • 2806

      It gives you a little more weight up front to help control flip. I agree the bull barrel is a little more of a pain to disassemble. The solution to the take down issue is a Dawson Precision tool-less guide rod. It was worth every penny.

      "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." B.Franklin,1759

      Comment

      • #4
        krwada
        Senior Member
        CGN Contributor
        • Jun 2013
        • 1457

        Dawson Precision tool-less guide rod

        Originally posted by cindynles
        It gives you a little more weight up front to help control flip. I agree the bull barrel is a little more of a pain to disassemble. The solution to the take down issue is a Dawson Precision tool-less guide rod. It was worth every penny.

        Yep +1000 for this thing. The Dawson Precision tool-less guide rod works great! Makes it a snap to field strip the M1911 bull barrel.

        Comment

        • #5
          ojisan
          Agent 86
          CGN Contributor
          • Apr 2008
          • 11782

          The flared / wider at the muzzle end bull barrels came about when compensators were installed on race guns.
          Flaring the muzzle end allowed deletion of the barrel bushing, allowing the rear face of the comp to fit right up against the front slide face.
          It was also possible to leave the barrel at an even diameter and have the tapered part be part of the comp.
          I don't see much advantage to this no bushing design on a non-comped gun.

          Originally posted by Citadelgrad87
          I don't really care, I just like to argue.

          Comment

          • #6
            postal
            Banned
            • Mar 2008
            • 4566

            About as pointless and a PITA to deal with as a full length guide rod....

            People think they look cool sticking out the muzzle end when the slide is back... until they have to disassemble the gun... and curse it to no end.

            Comment

            • #7
              RR.44
              CGSSA Leader
              • Mar 2012
              • 1933

              My smith and my Citadel both have full length guide rods, I have no problem field stripping either one of them, it's all in the technique. BTW, Kimbers compact carry is known to be one of their more pleasant shooting and accurate gun.
              Last edited by RR.44; 11-23-2014, 1:43 PM.
              sigpic

              Comment

              • #8
                jyo
                Calguns Addict
                • Sep 2008
                • 5320

                OK, the real reason short-barrel (4" or less) 1911s have a bull barrel and no bushing is because when the barrel gets too short, the barrel bushing becomes too small and thin which leads to bushing breakage---the Colt Officers model 45 suffered from bushing breakage.
                I have a 4" SA Champion "Loaded" stainless pistol with this set-up and no real issues...

                Comment

                • #9
                  TurboChrisB
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Mar 2010
                  • 5116

                  The Dawson toolless guide rod makes field stripping my full rail TRP simple and fast.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    evlblkrfl
                    Member
                    • Feb 2009
                    • 476

                    Didnt realize people had such a difficult time taking down 1911s. I find the bull barrel model is easier to take apart. Maybe its just me??

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      InGrAM
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2010
                      • 3699

                      It looks cool...

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Bob Hostetter
                        Senior Member
                        • Oct 2005
                        • 1291

                        On all 1911's it eliminates the tolerance stack where the muzzle of the barrel fits to the slide. A properly fit bull barrel will have .003-.005" between the barrel and the slide. On a bushing gun you will have .003-.005 between the barrel and the bushing and the additional clearances between the bushing and the slide. The bull barrel set up provides a potential increase in mechanical accuracy.

                        It allows you to move the point of balance forward towards the muzzle with the additional thickness in the barrel walls.

                        It eliminates the issues with trying to fit a durable bushing into the short slide guns.

                        It adds additional weight to the reciprocating mass slowing the cycle rate down and providing for slightly less felt recoil.

                        It is easier and simplier to build, which means it is cheaper to build.
                        Last edited by Bob Hostetter; 11-23-2014, 5:32 PM.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        UA-8071174-1