Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Texas Gun "Law" ...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • cpatbay
    Senior Member
    • May 2011
    • 1631

    Texas Gun "Law" ...

    These are music to my ears! 8)

    Q: How long is the waiting period to buy a Handgun / Shotgun / Rifle in Texas?
    A: There is no waiting period for purchasing a firearm in the state of Texas.

    Q: I just moved to Texas, do I have to register my firearms?
    A: No, there is no state registration of firearms.

    Q: I just inherited / bought a gun from someone in Texas, do I need to transfer the gun to my name?
    A: No, there is no state registration of firearms, thus there is no requirement transfer the firearm in your name.

    Q: What is required to purchase a firearm in the state of Texas?
    A: You will need a valid state-issued ID. Many FFLs will not sell to out-of-state residents. This is due to the FFL's requirement to uphold your resident state's gun laws, and the inherient complexity associated with many states.

    Q: Can I carry a firearm on my person?
    A: Yes, with proper licensing (Concealed Handgun License) you may carry a pistol or revolver on your person so long as it remains concealed. Long guns (rifles / shotguns) do not have to be concealed, but must be carried in a manner not calculated to cause alarm, and do not require a license.

    Q: Can I strap a gun on my hip in Texas?
    A: No, with some exceptions. Open carry is not legal in Texas, but you may open carry on your own property, in the commission of a sporting activity (competition, shooting ranges, etc.), and while engaged in hunting.

    Q: Can I carry a firearm in my vehicle?
    A: Yes. With the passage of the Motorist Protection Act you may now readibly carry handguns, loaded and within reach, so long as you conceal the firearm. Long guns (rifles / shotguns) do not have to be concealed and may be loaded and within reach.

    Q: Are machine guns / suppressors / short-barreled firearms, etc. legal in the state of Texas?
    A: Yes. All NFA rules apply. See this FAQ for more info regarding Class III / Title II items.

    Q: Are "assault weapons" banned in Texas?
    A: No. Texas abides by Federal law which at this time has no restrictions on so-called "assault weapons" such as semi-auto AR15, FAL, G3 / HK91 rifles.

    Q: Is there a limit on the number of rounds a magazine may hold?
    A: No. The only limit on magazines in Texas is the number of rounds you are physically able to cram into the thing and/or carry and/or afford.
    NRA Lifer

    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason
    for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government - Thomas Jefferson


  • #2
    SonofWWIIDI
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Nov 2011
    • 21583

    I'm jealous.
    Sorry, not sorry.
    🎺

    Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!

    Comment

    • #3
      AreWeFree
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2013
      • 4558

      Wow, I wish things were as clear and simple for us...

      Comment

      • #4
        Kilber
        Member
        • Apr 2013
        • 441

        Originally posted by cpatbay
        These are music to my ears! 8)


        Q: Is there a limit on the number of rounds a magazine may hold?
        A: No. The only limit on magazines in Texas is the number of rounds you are physically able to cram into the thing and/or carry and/or afford.
        My fav...

        Comment

        • #5
          toby
          Banned
          • Jan 2010
          • 10576

          Heading there now! I can smell happiness all through the state as I fly over.
          .

          Comment

          • #6
            Steve_In_29
            Banned
            • Nov 2009
            • 5682

            Gotta love a place with common sense.

            My son lives there and we might end up with him after we retire next year.

            They also have NO State Income Tax.

            Comment

            • #7
              geoint
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2014
              • 4385

              Plus you can buy guns from anyone without the need for an FFL. Ive bought and sold over a dozen guns this way. While it can be a little intimidating, theres really nothing to worry about as long as you are smart about it. Smart meaning you save emails, phone numbers and require buyers/sellers fill out a bill of sale. And meeting in public places during regular hours. Though I had one deal at a gas station at about 8pm one time, but I had my wife in the car with an M92 pap ready to back me up if stuff got hairy.
              Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt

              I Hate California.

              Comment

              • #8
                cpatbay
                Senior Member
                • May 2011
                • 1631

                Originally posted by geoint
                Plus you can buy guns from anyone without the need for an FFL. Ive bought and sold over a dozen guns this way. While it can be a little intimidating, theres really nothing to worry about as long as you are smart about it. Smart meaning you save emails, phone numbers and require buyers/sellers fill out a bill of sale. And meeting in public places during regular hours. Though I had one deal at a gas station at about 8pm one time, but I had my wife in the car with an M92 pap ready to back me up if stuff got hairy.
                This seems so foreign to us, Kalifornians. I guess we can meet at Walmart or Targets to do the sales!
                NRA Lifer

                No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason
                for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
                to protect themselves against tyranny in government - Thomas Jefferson


                Comment

                • #9
                  Steve_In_29
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2009
                  • 5682

                  Originally posted by cpatbay
                  This seems so foreign to us, Kalifornians. I guess we can meet at Walmart or Targets to do the sales!
                  Some of us still remember back when we could do this in Cali as well. Younger guys are the ones that think it's always been this way.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    sir9usr
                    Member
                    • Jan 2011
                    • 199

                    Yeup - I still remember listing my Iver Johnson M1 carbine (that I bought at B&B Noho) in the Recycler. Met the guy on my porch and sold it for $200. This may have been mid 80's?


                    Sent from SkyNet

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      anothergunnut
                      Senior Member
                      • Jan 2006
                      • 1819

                      Originally posted by Steve_In_29
                      My son lives there and we might end up with him after we retire next year.

                      They also have NO State Income Tax.
                      They have very high property tax which, for many people (especially retirees) can be more important than income tax. Of course, the overall tax (and regulatory!) burden is low in TX.
                      Check back later for a witty comment.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        beretta929mm
                        Senior Member
                        • Oct 2009
                        • 1492

                        California indeed feels like a separate country

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          bubbapug1
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 7958

                          Texas marriage laws.

                          If a husband and wife get a divorce they still can remain brother and sister.

                          Texas beach sights

                          Barbed wire, broken glass, and crude oil balls.

                          Seriously, do you want any yahoo armed in the next pick up truck next to you?

                          While our gun laws suck, our state is rich in economic opportunity and excellent recreational pursuits. While housing is expensive, your house will probably triple in value during your lifetime allowing you a big nest egg just from appreciation.

                          It's such stereotypical easy cheap shot to hold up Texas gun laws, we've seen it weekly here for years.
                          I love America for the rights and freedoms we used to have.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            jyo
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Sep 2008
                            • 5320

                            A short while back, I was visiting an old buddy who now lives in SW Texas---he introduced me to his friend, the local DPS (LE) officer and told him I had an unloaded pistol in the trunk of my car---he told me to "Load that puppy up!" and carry it up front where you can get at it if needed! He said that in Texas you could have a loaded gun with you "while traveling"---many folks there just carry their pistols the minute they leave the house because, well, "you're traveling." OK, I get it...



                            And I like it!!

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              afteractionreport
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jun 2013
                              • 2867

                              Originally posted by bubbapug1
                              Texas marriage laws.

                              If a husband and wife get a divorce they still can remain brother and sister.

                              Texas beach sights

                              Barbed wire, broken glass, and crude oil balls.

                              Seriously, do you want any yahoo armed in the next pick up truck next to you?

                              While our gun laws suck, our state is rich in economic opportunity and excellent recreational pursuits. While housing is expensive, your house will probably triple in value during your lifetime allowing you a big nest egg just from appreciation.

                              It's such stereotypical easy cheap shot to hold up Texas gun laws, we've seen it weekly here for years.
                              Texas is not what it use to be it's turning democrat more and more everyday but you still can't compare it to Ca. Texas is still 10x better....
                              Kyle "Kenosha Kid" Rittenhouse did nothing wrong

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1