Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Exercises to teach a lefty to shoot right

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • DS94901
    Senior Member
    • Jul 2012
    • 1302

    Exercises to teach a lefty to shoot right

    Lefty looking to start shooting right handed with handguns and rifles. Any recommended exercises other than dry firing?
  • #2
    echoThreeOneSix
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2013
    • 1332

    i'm doing the same thing right now. i'm using a DA GBB airsoft gun to teach myself to draw from a holster and get quick target acquisition.
    Originally posted by m---------------1
    Bump... also interested in 1911 for trade
    ...as a trade for a glock 43. wtf guys, wtf.

    Comment

    • #3
      voodoomedman
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 781

      Just doing the same thing you do with your left. I'm lefty and never did until advanced classes where you have to run off hand and do malfunctions one handed off hand and such. I'm doing a basic class next weekend and am going to run it right handed to get more proficient.

      Actually pretty accurate since its new, no bad habits built in and it's uncomfortable so you take time to make sure to do it right. That's just it though. Great sim but it takes all day. 4 days should help fix that.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

      Comment

      • #4
        davidb
        Senior Member
        • Sep 2010
        • 1769

        not left handed, but i often shoot left handed just for the practice...not too different just strange feeling at 1st, just do what you do when you shoot lefty and use both eyes open

        Comment

        • #5
          HonkingAntelope
          Senior Member
          • May 2010
          • 515

          Is the lefty in question right-eye or left-eye dominant? If someone is a lefty but they are more comfortable shooting right-handed than left, it only makes sense for them to keep practicing right-hand stances.

          *Spoken as someone who writes and swings golf clubs left-handed, but shoots handguns and rifles RH (right eye dominant, too).
          That ain't a stolen gun under my car seat - it's undocumented sports equipment!

          "So do I. In fifteen goddamn towns this has happened to me. This is the last. I won't be ******* shoved anymore." -John Rambo.

          "When it's used more and more, extortion can seem to a terrified and traumatized populace as a normal tax system" -cnn.com, http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/19/world/...ney/index.html

          Comment

          • #6
            DS94901
            Senior Member
            • Jul 2012
            • 1302

            Originally posted by HonkingAntelope
            Is the lefty in question right-eye or left-eye dominant? If someone is a lefty but they are more comfortable shooting right-handed than left, it only makes sense for them to keep practicing right-hand stances.

            *Spoken as someone who writes and swings golf clubs left-handed, but shoots handguns and rifles RH (right eye dominant, too).
            I may be right eye dominant but I feel pretty equal between left and right eye. I'm very uncomfortable shooting right handed though. I write left handed, use a knife left handed, shoot left and do nearly everything else right handed. Hoping it won't take too long.

            Comment

            • #7
              Revhendo
              Senior Member
              • Aug 2014
              • 521

              The dominant eye thing does come into play here. I'm a left hander that is left eye dominant. Been that way my whole life. I've learned to adapt to a right handed world. I've practiced right handed just in case I need that skill, but stay predominantly left.

              Being said, I'm actually confused as to how you right handed folk work some of your stuff. My autos are a breeze for me to work left handed. Index finger goes right to the slide release on my Witness and 1911. Same for the mag release. When I shoot right, I still use my left hand to work those functions.
              My only issue is with ejection ports that can be a touch unfriendly at times.
              My M16 hated me and made a point of throwing hot shell casings down my neck to prove it.
              Rev.

              "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
              W.T. Sherman

              Comment

              • #8
                gemini1
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 2230

                I am right handed but left eye dominant. When shooting short or long firearms, I would normally close my left eye.
                I've just recently started one handed (dry firing) shooting practice, and I noticed that with my left, I tend to shoot the pistol without disturbing the front sight, and my holding the grip feels natural. In comparison, I have to first find the proper grip with my right hand, to keep the sight from moving. With my right hand, the proper grip hold is like how you would shoot a revolver, trigger finger is past the first joint. If I move it to the middle or at edge of first joint, the pistol jerks to the left.
                Weird huh?

                Comment

                • #9
                  geeknow
                  Lifetime Contributor #1
                  CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                  • Aug 2007
                  • 3144

                  OP, just practice. Don't worry about quick draw, and other high speed stuff just yet. Just practice, slowly and deliberately. You're building muscle memory.

                  I'm left handed, and right eye dominant. I can shoot with either hand. Rifles are easier to shoot right hand, as the ejection port is on that side (typically).

                  I grew up in a "right hand world", so pretty much had to build that skill from an early age. Not just shooting, but other everyday things (good luck finding a nice left hand baseball mitt).

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    SunsetIE
                    Senior Member
                    • Jun 2013
                    • 2108

                    Just roll with what makes you comfortable.

                    Im right handed, but due to a cross dominance issue, I have to shoot rifles lefty. I draw my pistol right handed with no issues though.

                    If i run my pump 870 hastily, or an autoloader I end up with hulls in the hood of my sweatshirt

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      IraCiotog
                      Junior Member
                      • Sep 2014
                      • 46

                      Originally posted by DS94901
                      Lefty looking to start shooting right handed with handguns and rifles. Any recommended exercises other than dry firing?
                      The question is why do you want to learn to shoot right handed with both rifle and pistol? I am a lefty who is right eyed cross dominant. If I was still a lad just learning to shoot I would probably shoot right handed, but since I am of riper years I just close my right eye when shooting rifle as I have always done.

                      Pistol I shoot pretty much equally well or equally badly with both hands. but I use my right eye. I have found that canting the pistol 45 degrees is easier plus your buddies can razz you about shooting "gangsta".

                      Best way to learn to shoot is to shoot.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        gsxr310
                        Senior Member
                        • Dec 2013
                        • 662

                        i'm left handed.. but strted practicing to shoot right. it felt weird at first, but ive done it repeatedly that it's almost natural now. i still shoot left handed as preference.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          orangeusa
                          • Jul 2009
                          • 9055

                          Stop the madness!!

                          As a lefty, I find every semi-automatic handgun - unmodified and shooting with my left hand easier. Mag dump - trigger finger. Safety/Decker are mostly ambi on most guns.


                          Bolt Rifles are different and I don't have enough experience to help you. But I refuse to modify the gun to fit my hand. How do you try out other folks guns or rent a pistol that way? You don't.

                          .

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            DS94901
                            Senior Member
                            • Jul 2012
                            • 1302

                            Originally posted by IraCiotog
                            The question is why do you want to learn to shoot right handed with both rifle and pistol? I am a lefty who is right eyed cross dominant. If I was still a lad just learning to shoot I would probably shoot right handed, but since I am of riper years I just close my right eye when shooting rifle as I have always done.

                            Pistol I shoot pretty much equally well or equally badly with both hands. but I use my right eye. I have found that canting the pistol 45 degrees is easier plus your buddies can razz you about shooting "gangsta".

                            Best way to learn to shoot is to shoot.
                            I like the idea of being able to adapt quickly to more guns off the bat rather than figuring out works rounds to accommodate my lefty ways. Nothing wrong with shooting lefty. I just want to open up more options.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1