Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Converting 1911 38 Super to 9mm (and back)

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • California44
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2012
    • 1092

    Converting 1911 38 Super to 9mm (and back)

    For you experts and experienced ones. Can a commander size (or full size) 1911 in 38 Super be easily converted to 9mm by simply changing out the barrel and mag (and vice versa)? For example, can a DW Guardian in 38 Super be converted to 9mm easily?
    Last edited by California44; 09-30-2014, 9:53 PM.
  • #2
    Garand1911
    Senior Member
    • Sep 2002
    • 1443

    In general yes, simple mag and barrel swap.
    Dunno about the DW, i would think so.
    "I saved your life, AND brought you pizza" -- Me

    Comment

    • #3
      robcoe
      Calguns Addict
      • Apr 2010
      • 8685

      Originally posted by California44
      For you experts and experienced ones. Can a commander size 1911 in 38 Super be easily converted to 9mm by simply changing out the barrel and mag (and vice versa)? For example, can a DW Guardian in 38 Super be converted to 9mm easily?
      No specific experience with the commander or DW guns, but my RIA .38 super was easy. Just a barrel, barrel link and pin.

      The .38 super magazines even work ok for 9mm, though the dedicated 9mm ones tend to work better.
      Yes, I am an electrical engineer.
      No, I will not fix your computer.

      Comment

      • #4
        Sunday
        Calguns Addict
        • Jan 2010
        • 5574

        9mm 1911 are sweet to shoot.
        California's politicians and unionized government employees are a crime gang that makes the Mexican drug cartels look like a Girl Scout Troop in comparison.

        Comment

        • #5
          rdubya
          Member
          • Oct 2009
          • 145

          My Smith & Wesson Doug Koenig Performance Center had ejection issues when changed to 9mm. I was told it was due to the external extractor needing to be tuned. My Rock Island Armory works like a champ with only the barrel and mag swap. Some 38 super mags work better than others.

          Comment

          • #6
            VegasND
            Calguns Addict
            • Aug 2007
            • 8621

            I bought a 9mm barrel (and some 9mm mags) for my .38 Super XSE Commander and convert it between them based on what I want to shoot.

            It works great either way.
            People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.
            --River Tam

            Comment

            • #7
              emy
              Senior Member
              • Jan 2011
              • 901

              I have a 22TCM and 9MM combo commander size 1911, looking for a 38super barrel. That way i should be able to shoot all three caliber on one gun. Also you might have to get a 12lb spring to work with the 9mm conversion
              Last edited by emy; 09-26-2014, 7:00 PM.

              Comment

              • #8
                California44
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2012
                • 1092

                What about a full size 1911. Can a Super 38 be converted to 9mm in the same way?

                Comment

                • #9
                  .45JHP
                  Member
                  • Mar 2011
                  • 196

                  Funny thing this thread popped up, I'm currently in the process of swapping my wife's Colt XSE Commander from 38 Super to 9mm.

                  - Yes, a full size 1911 can be converted to 9mm the same way
                  - Most barrels will drop in, no modifications to the frame or slide. The exception being of course match fit or gunsmith fit barrels which will need fitting no matter what.
                  - Most extractors will not need to be tuned or changed out as most 1911 manufacturers (Wilson, etc.) use the same extractor on 38 super and 9mm.
                  - Both 9mm or 38 super magazines will work and are interchangeable.
                  - Recoil springs are fine but if you're having issues that's usually a very simple fix.

                  Currently awaiting Bar-Sto to ship my wife's barrel otherwise I'd be able to do a write up on how simple this is. Literally all you'll need in about 99% of 1911s is a barrel change to be able to run both 38 super and 9mm.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    CGT80
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2008
                    • 2981

                    Does anyone actually choose 38 super over 9mm now that 9 can be pushed so hard? I know 38 super was the king for action pistol matches, but 9mm major works great since the brass is cheap or free. My dad has a Springfield 9mm 1911 open gun that is fun to shoot.

                    I can see why people would want to go from 38 to 9mm, but I am not sure if they still have a good use for 38 or if they just want to be able to use the original barrel and cartridge that the gun was setup for, just for kicks.
                    He who dies with the most tools/toys wins

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Markdshark
                      Junior Member
                      • Mar 2013
                      • 46

                      Yes I have one use a bar sto barroel best shooting guns have

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        SonofWWIIDI
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Nov 2011
                        • 21583

                        Gonna have to try that on my SA mil-spec .38 super.

                        Thanks for the info!

                        Any suggestions as to where to get a decent priced drop in barrel. Just for plinking, doesn't need to be match grade.
                        Thanks.
                        Last edited by SonofWWIIDI; 10-01-2014, 4:37 PM.
                        Sorry, not sorry.
                        🎺

                        Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          .45JHP
                          Member
                          • Mar 2011
                          • 196

                          Originally posted by SonofWWIIDI
                          Gonna have to try that on my SA mil-spec .38 super.

                          Thanks for the info!

                          Any suggestions as to where to get a decent priced drop in barrel. Just for plinking, doesn't need to be match grade.
                          Thanks.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            .45JHP
                            Member
                            • Mar 2011
                            • 196

                            Originally posted by CGT80
                            Does anyone actually choose 38 super over 9mm now that 9 can be pushed so hard? I know 38 super was the king for action pistol matches, but 9mm major works great since the brass is cheap or free. My dad has a Springfield 9mm 1911 open gun that is fun to shoot.

                            I can see why people would want to go from 38 to 9mm, but I am not sure if they still have a good use for 38 or if they just want to be able to use the original barrel and cartridge that the gun was setup for, just for kicks.
                            Generally no, but .38 Super chambered 1911s are easier to find than 9mm chambered 1911s. Colt in particular for some reason or another discontinued most of their 9mm offerings. However, if you reload, .38 Super loads are way better than 9mm especially some of the defensive loads.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              California44
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2012
                              • 1092

                              Has anyone ever converted the Springfield 9mm (PI9134L) to 38 Super?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1