Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

AR/AK pistol "brace" users. A question, if you will..

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • JWHuey
    Senior Member
    • Jun 2011
    • 2300

    AR/AK pistol "brace" users. A question, if you will..

    I am just curious, as I know people are using these "accessories" in the PRK.

    I see a bunch of brace equipped pistols being sold at the LGS, so it seems like there should be a fair amount of them in circulation, as well as a good number of people willing to roll the dice in owning & shooting them.

    Are people who own AR/AK pistols, which came with braces installed upon purchasing, actually shooting in public with these firearms?

    If so, has anyone had LEO contact whilst shooting their pistols, & what happened if they did?

    I personally own a M92 PAP, but I don't have the stones to jeopardize my 2A rights, & or freedom, to run a brace on it.

    ETA: I know what the BATFE has ruled on these stabilizing braces, I also know that what the CADOJ thinks remains to be seen.
    I don't want this to become a legality debate. I am just looking for examples of people's PERSONAL experiences with DOJ/LEO/DA interaction. If you "talked to someone, who knows a guy". Or, a "cop/attorney/DA/alphabet agency agent said" it is hearsay, & irrelevant to the discussion.

    Thx
    sigpic
  • #2
    meno377
    ?????
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Jul 2013
    • 4911

    I put a brace on my AR pistol and shot it at the local range. I tried it as what it is designed for and it's difficult to use effectively, at least for me. Then tried it on my shoulder and of course it was so much more effective, again at least for me. No one approached me and there was no discussion afterwards.
    Originally posted by Fjold
    I've been married so long that I don't even look both ways when I cross the street.
    Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program.
    -Milton Friedman


    sigpic

    Comment

    • #3
      BigPimping
      CGN Contributor
      • Feb 2010
      • 21487

      I would not even ask about one personally. Dangerous waters to tread in I think.
      sigpic

      PIMP stands for Positive Intellectual Motivated Person

      When pimping begins, friendship ends.

      Don't let your history be a mystery

      Comment

      • #4
        Quiet
        retired Goon
        • Mar 2007
        • 30242

        Awhile back, I informally (we were waiting for a conference to start and small chatting) asked a Riverside County ADA and San Bernardino County ADA what their thoughts were about installing an arm brace on an AK pistol.

        They both agreed that an AK pistol is legal in CA when properly configured (maglock/fixed 10 round magazine) and that installing an arm brace was "redesigning" the handgun to be fired from the shoulder, which would make it a SBR and that they would prosecute it as such.

        Since I live and work in both counties, I determined that using an arm brace on my AK pistol was not worth the risk of a SBR arrest/trial.
        Last edited by Quiet; 08-18-2014, 7:47 AM.
        sigpic

        "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

        Comment

        • #5
          JWHuey
          Senior Member
          • Jun 2011
          • 2300

          Originally posted by Quiet
          Awhile back, I informally (we were waiting for a conference to start and small chatting) asked a Riverside County ADA and San Bernardino County ADA what their thoughts were about installing an arm brace on an AK pistol.

          They both agreed that an AK pistol is legal in CA when properly configured (maglock/fixed 10 round magazine) and that installing an arm brace was "redesigning" the handgun to be fired from the shoulder, which would make it a SBR and that they would prosecute it as such.
          Yeah. This is my thinking as well.
          I guess I'm just surprised that no arrests, or prosecutions have been reported yet. In speaking with the LGS employees, it is apparent that a bunch of brace equipped pistols have been sold.

          I actually know a retired LEO, and an active duty one, who both have AR pistols with braces. I have argued with them that they are most likely committing felonies, but they cite the ATF letter, and tell me I'm wrong.
          Last edited by JWHuey; 08-18-2014, 7:55 AM.
          sigpic

          Comment

          • #6
            CK_32
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Sep 2010
            • 14369

            I plan to, once my pistol is finished. And know someone is going to question it.

            My plan is to have a print out of the Sig Brace ATF approval letter and 80% process and anytime I'm questioned explain I'm fully in the right and let them read to their hearts content. I'm sure once shown documentation and a 3 page explanation they will just take my word for it.

            And help explain and cut time trying to explain to those interested on how to get one them selves. I'm sure you'll get a few of those as well.
            For Sale: AR500 Lvl III+ ASC Armor

            What's Your Caliber??


            My Youtube channel

            Comment

            • #7
              jchen76@gmail.com
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2004
              • 2092

              AR/AK maybe a fine line, but now there's folks pushing the line.

              Someone on another forum decide to dress up a glock with SB15 brace. This is asking for trouble





              On MP5 clone, as atlantic arms is advertising is probably on Ar/AK lines



              Out here in nevada, brace is 'meh since SBR's are already allowed. This is stop gap until ATF approves the Form 1 to manufacture an SBR.

              Comment

              • #8
                JWHuey
                Senior Member
                • Jun 2011
                • 2300

                Originally posted by jchen76@gmail.com
                AR/AK maybe a fine line, but now there's folks pushing the line.

                Someone on another forum decide to dress up a glock with SB15 brace. This is asking for trouble





                On MP5 clone, as atlantic arms is advertising is probably on Ar/AK lines



                Out here in nevada, brace is 'meh since SBR's are already allowed. This is stop gap until ATF approves the Form 1 to manufacture an SBR.
                Pretty sure that's an XD. But yeah, playing with fire in the PRK.
                sigpic

                Comment

                • #9
                  CK_32
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Sep 2010
                  • 14369

                  Originally posted by JWHuey
                  Pretty sure that's an XD. But yeah, playing with fire in the PRK.
                  Haha I was thinking the same thing. I didn't want to say anything tho lol


                  The way I see it, I'm going to enjoy this dam thing as much as possible before it gets closed and banned. SBR's shouldn't be restricted in the first place. AW I get, but SBR's come on, that's on par with SB808 and killing SSE. Now yall are (poloticians) just being dicks
                  For Sale: AR500 Lvl III+ ASC Armor

                  What's Your Caliber??


                  My Youtube channel

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    mr2ndamendment
                    Member
                    • Aug 2013
                    • 451

                    It's easy for me to say what I'm about to because I just moved to Utah where LE is more open to the idea of "scary-looking guns" and SBRs are a dime a dozen out here, but I'd say go for it. Keep the ATF letter with you and don't go out of your way to seek attention. I'd only shoot it at gun shop/ranges that sell Sig-braced AR/AK pistols so if there's any problems you can refer to the examples on sale under the glass or on the wall.

                    I'm about to start work on a Sig-braced Mk18 clone and even in Utah I'll be a little more careful about where I take it just in case I run into "that cop" that doesn't know about the brace and wants to give me a hard time.

                    I really just hope the Sig brace doesn't become like the slidefire where it gets approval but then it gets revoked. I don't think that'll be the case though because Sig is a name-brand company with lots of pull and it was designed to assist veterans and the handicapped, so I can't imagine they'd go back on it now. Either way, watch your back -living in California I always felt like I had to watch my back by simply just owning a bullet-buttoned AR.
                    VMI '11
                    11B
                    NRA Life Member, RSO, Rifle/Pistol Instructor

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    UA-8071174-1