Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Routine traffic stop, asked about my registered firearms

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • JDay
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Nov 2008
    • 19393

    Originally posted by sl0re10
    its been renumbered... still a crime.

    Nope.

    California state laws including the Business and Profession Code, Civil Code, Code of Civil Procedure, Commercial Code, Corporations Code, Education Code, Evidence Code, Family Code, Fish and Game Code, Health and Safety Code, Insurance Code, Labor Code, Penal Code, Probate Code, Revenue and Taxation Code and Vehicle Code.


    See where it says "for any lawful purpose"? There is no destination requirement.
    Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace. -- James Madison

    The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)

    Comment

    • boy&hisdogs
      Member
      • Apr 2014
      • 399

      IMO it's all about how he asks it. If he asks "Have you been drinking?" or "Do you have any weapons/drugs/etc?" casually or as if he's reading a script, then I wouldn't be offended, but if he's eyeballing me and asking it in an accusing manner then I would be bothered. I don't drive drunk (or drive like I'm drunk) nor do I brandish weapons at people. If it's just a routine question for his own safety that's one thing, but if he's making baseless or weakly based (like on a bumper sticker) accusations then that's not okay.

      Cops aren't machines. They're human beings just like you and me, with families that love them and want them to get home safely every night. I respect his right to look after his own safety just like I would wish him to do for me. I'll answer whatever questions I can (within reason) as long as they're polite about it.

      Comment

      • sl0re10
        Calguns Addict
        • Jan 2013
        • 7242

        Originally posted by JDay
        Nope.

        California state laws including the Business and Profession Code, Civil Code, Code of Civil Procedure, Commercial Code, Corporations Code, Education Code, Evidence Code, Family Code, Fish and Game Code, Health and Safety Code, Insurance Code, Labor Code, Penal Code, Probate Code, Revenue and Taxation Code and Vehicle Code.


        See where it says "for any lawful purpose"? There is no destination requirement.
        25400 is still there


        Its not lawful to carry a concealed weapon around w/o a permit....

        hey; you guys play it if you want. I'm not buying it though. 25400 seems the same as the old PC.
        Last edited by sl0re10; 08-07-2014, 12:53 PM.

        Comment

        • bonusweb
          Banned
          • Aug 2007
          • 1189

          Originally posted by boy&hisdogs
          Cops aren't machines. They're human beings just like you and me, with families that love them and want them to get home safely every night.
          The problem is a certain percentage seem to have a disdain for their fellow human beings. They consider us as a lower class with less rights, the despised "civilians". The disamed peon class, that needs to be shown its place.

          Comment

          • Tripper
            Calguns Addict
            • Jan 2011
            • 7628

            Originally posted by sl0re10
            25400 is still there


            Its not lawful to carry a concealed weapon around w/o a permit....

            hey; you guys play it if you want. I'm not buying it though. 25400 seems the same as the old PC.

            A concealed weapon is no longer concealed once it's stored in a locked container, which is where it becomes exempt
            Else I know LOTs of folks that would be criminals by now


            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            WTB NAA Belt Buckle
            MILITARY STRETCHER/RADIATION DETECTION KIT

            Comment

            • Tripper
              Calguns Addict
              • Jan 2011
              • 7628

              Routine traffic stop, asked about my registered firearms

              You can start with section 25505, and go from there
              Maybe that will help
              Last edited by Tripper; 08-07-2014, 4:17 PM.
              WTB NAA Belt Buckle
              MILITARY STRETCHER/RADIATION DETECTION KIT

              Comment

              • TeddyBallgame
                Calguns Addict
                • Sep 2012
                • 5732

                Originally posted by ojisan
                Teddy, the internet values brevity, which is why I tried to not post a long reply.
                It's too bad you didn't bother to take the time to review the link.
                You didn't notice the NRA-ILA in the link address?
                It was included so you could see what the NRA has to say regarding this murky law.
                It's obvious that the law is not written correctly, leading to many different understandings.

                Transport your guns and ammo in what ever way you feel comfortable with.

                Have a nice day.
                actually i did read the link, but, you're not the author of that link, therefore you're not the one who said any of it...at no point in your post did YOU state it was an interpretation, as i've already pointed out...but, it is valuable information to consider regardless, and, thank you for posting it

                Originally posted by TeddyBallgame
                that's not quite true...in fact, in your original post, aside from the linked article itself, you never even mentioned NRA, let alone it being an interpretation from the NRA that you were talking about...all you said, as bolded below, was that while CA law says loaded mags in the same locked case as the gun is OK, Federal law does not...i see nothing with YOU actually saying it was an NRA interpretation
                sigpic

                Comment

                • I Swan
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Sep 2010
                  • 8770

                  Originally posted by bonusweb
                  The problem is a certain percentage seem to have a disdain for their fellow human beings. They consider us as a lower class with less rights, the despised "civilians". The disamed peon class, that needs to be shown its place.
                  Unfortunately I think you hit the nail on the head.

                  Comment

                  • realitycheck
                    Banned
                    • Aug 2014
                    • 16

                    Originally posted by I Swan
                    Unfortunately I think you hit the nail on the head.
                    they learn to disdain after seeing people at their worst day after day

                    but we want cops, and they are only human, and this is what the job does to a "certain percentage"

                    In general its all a made up bunch of bs that any question is an "intrusion"....in many other countries you can find yourself attached to a bedspring with a car battery...then they ask you questions
                    '
                    lighten up and be thankful to be American, instead of a self promoted hero for your "rights"

                    Theres a time to fight. Know when that is and develop perspective instead of paranoia

                    Comment

                    • calibased
                      Member
                      • Jun 2014
                      • 476

                      Originally posted by dorbie
                      A couple of hours ago I was stopped for a moving traffic violation, no other suspicious circumstances (IMHO) just a U-turn at a junction in the middle of downtown.

                      After handing over my CA driver's license the LEO left then returned after a few minutes and told me he was aware that I had registered firearms and inquired if I had any in my vehicle. I was a bit surprised by this at a routine traffic stop.



                      I have no CCW and no criminal record. I have gone through the typical DROS and other paperwork during purchase but I was not aware that a weapons registry would be accessed during routine traffic stops by LEOs.



                      I have a dash-cam running at all times and it incidentally picked up the audio of the LEO asking about the "weapons registered to you, guns".



                      Posted here because the archived discussion I found suggested this was extremely unlikely. Well it doesn't seem unlikely to me now, not anymore.

                      How long before LEOs start obtaining this information when they run your plate before the LEO approaches your vehicle?

                      I'm pretty sure that's the whole purpose of the registration process. The guns registered to you and part of a database accessible to law enforcement or anyone else sanctioned to access it.
                      Using Tapatalk

                      Comment

                      • sunlupeo
                        Junior Member
                        • Mar 2013
                        • 37

                        I work as a dispatcher and running the name for weapons registered is standard practice. We also run locations and names at residences for weapons registered as well. You would be surprised how many of those stops or residences will have firearms registered to them. But as it was pointed out, usually the officers/deputies are not concerned about the law abiding citizen who has weapons. They are more concerned about the ones who don't have any registered to them.

                        Comment

                        • GW
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • May 2004
                          • 16078

                          Originally posted by realitycheck
                          they learn to disdain after seeing people at their worst day after day

                          but we want cops, and they are only human, and this is what the job does to a "certain percentage"

                          In general its all a made up bunch of bs that any question is an "intrusion"....in many other countries you can find yourself attached to a bedspring with a car battery...then they ask you questions
                          '
                          lighten up and be thankful to be American, instead of a self promoted hero for your "rights"

                          Theres a time to fight. Know when that is and develop perspective instead of paranoia



                          Sojourner
                          You're back already.
                          sigpicNRA Benefactor Member

                          Comment

                          • I Swan
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Sep 2010
                            • 8770

                            Originally posted by GW
                            Sojourner
                            You're back already.
                            My thoughts exactly? My "rights" and all. And paranoia? I think not. After all cops are human and there is many example and cases of misconduct from the bad apples. A good example is the stuff going on in LA county jails with the sheriffs.

                            Which I feel is especially wrong as many people in jail are possibly innocent and are awaiting trial. Not that abuse in a prison is ok.

                            Comment

                            • Get3CoffinsReady
                              Member
                              • Apr 2011
                              • 202

                              Originally posted by Sojournertruth
                              Good one for the cop....why not ask?...make sure if you do have them with you they're being properly secured and transported...a perfectly polite inquiry

                              too many Zimmermans / paranoids out there to count, too easy to get guns even when you have a screw loose or bad intentions

                              all for polite, good thorough police work anytime, keeps everyone on point and observing the rules
                              Yep, every gun owner is a terrorist.

                              Never mind the fact they are more likely to be killed by a passing motorist while they are lollygagging over a registered gun owner rather than the actual gun owner.
                              People in LA drive like sh** especially downtown, I would not want to have my *** hanging out in traffic for something that is meaningless, stupid, none of my business, and has nothing to do with my job.
                              Last edited by Get3CoffinsReady; 08-08-2014, 4:22 AM.
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              • uhlan1
                                Calguns Addict
                                • Aug 2012
                                • 6217

                                Originally posted by Mayor McRifle
                                Why not? If gun owners want to protect and expand their gun rights, then at some point they're going to have to stop acting as though owning guns is somehow wrong or illegal.
                                In Santa Cruz at least you'd run the risk of getting your car keyed. The tolerance of the left and all that.
                                "Hence it happened that all the armed prophets conquered, all the unarmed perished." - Niccolo Machiavelli

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1