Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

gun store partner not a NRA fan

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • NOTABIKER
    Calguns Addict
    • Mar 2012
    • 7635

    gun store partner not a NRA fan

    i was at a small gun store recently and was surprised one of the owners is not a NRA member. it seems some of the younger gun owners feel the NRA is old farts and it does not represent them ??
  • #2
    shda5582
    Senior Member
    • May 2013
    • 1175

    From my perspective, yea. But I also feel that they are somewhat extreme in their views/how they portray themselves. Being seen as a rapid, foam-at-the-mouth gun-rights person doesn't really help our PR issues (my opinion).
    Originally posted by DRH
    I think Claire Wolf said it best as "America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards."
    Originally posted by Kestryll
    Seriously??
    Have you looked around?
    Nutjobs are the staple of CGN, at least in OT.
    Originally posted by Joshua Tree
    Then again, Dick's never ceases to leave a bad taste in the mouth.

    Comment

    • #3
      velillen
      Junior Member
      • Dec 2013
      • 3

      I know a few people who aren't nra members. Don't support all the positions of the nra. They are pro gun and everything and support other organizations instead

      Comment

      • #4
        ScottsBad
        Progressives Suck!
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • May 2009
        • 5610

        Originally posted by velillen
        I know a few people who aren't nra members. Don't support all the positions of the nra. They are pro gun and everything and support other organizations instead
        Allow me to retort. I really doubt we would continue to have most of our 2A rights today if it were not for the NRA. Loss of the NRA now would accelerate diminishment of our rights. Someone has to be hardcore against hardcore efforts to take our guns away. IMHO

        Originally posted by shda5582
        From my perspective, yea. But I also feel that they are somewhat extreme in their views/how they portray themselves. Being seen as a rapid, foam-at-the-mouth gun-rights person doesn't really help our PR issues (my opinion).
        Every firearms store in the country owes a debt of gratitude to the NRA for helping to maintain their rights to own and sell firearms. If a retailer does not understand that fact they do not deserve my business.

        Many of the other gun rights groups are to be commended for their efforts, but they are far less effective at rallying gun owners to fight for their rights. Without the grassroots efforts of the NRA the smaller gun rights groups would be overpowered by the gun-grabbers. It takes massive grassroots efforts to keep the people fired up and informed.

        It is short sighted not to give the NRA support even if you do not agree with all or their tactics.

        That is my position.

        On CalGuns - I'm frankly not crazy about the folks who run it or the foundation, but I try to support the good parts of what they do.
        Last edited by ScottsBad; 07-02-2014, 10:39 AM.
        sigpicC'mon man, shouldn't we ban Democracks from Cal-Guns? Or at least send them to re-education camps.

        Comment

        • #5
          QuarterBoreGunner
          Administrator
          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
          • Oct 2005
          • 9389

          The NRA still has, for the most part, the classic image of "the angry old white guy" - this *is* changing. Slowly but surely the NRA is realizing that if they don't change that image, they're losing the shifting demographic of the new, young gun owners.

          They're headed in the right direction with Mr Colion Noir, Natalie Foster, Chris Cheng as new faces and voices, but people have long memories and it's going to take awhile.

          BUT! Never let that stop you from becoming a member and donating - they are still the best at the National/Federal level at fighting for the 2A.
          /Chris

          I have a perfect Burning Man attendance record: zero.

          You do know there are more guns in the country than there are in the city.
          Everyone and their mums is packin' round here!
          Like who?
          Farmers.
          Who else?
          Farmers' mums.

          Comment

          • #6
            NOTABIKER
            Calguns Addict
            • Mar 2012
            • 7635

            i think what some of the above are saying is they like guns but they are not very Conservative. you loose one you loose the other. My son in law is one of the above. it is not cool to be a conservative i guess.

            Comment

            • #7
              MisplacedTexan
              Senior Member
              • May 2012
              • 706

              Originally posted by ScottsBad
              Loss of the NRA now would accelerate diminishment of our rights. Someone has to be hardcore against hardcore efforts to take our guns away. IMHO
              I couldn't agree more.

              As far as I'm concerned, they should be MORE hard core. Quite simply I don't think the other side is interested in allowing or permitting the 2nd Amendment to stand. They win the semantic argument in wanting "common sense" or "sensible" reform. B.S. - it's death by a thousand pinpricks. The other side understands they way to ban guns is by systematically and very gradually nipping away at the edges. They realize time can be on their side - for the most part - we do not.

              By not being hardcore - that just accelerates their position by giving in to their "compromises" for P.R.'s sake

              Comment

              • #8
                Victor Cachat
                Senior Member
                • Apr 2014
                • 1546

                I stopped giving to the NRA decades ago.
                While I may not agree with all of their ideas and desires, I am glad they are fighting for me.
                Funny thing is that I have been thinking about joining again and they must have got my address from a vendor that recently shipped me "gun stuff" because I just got a membership letter from them.

                I decided to join, but I will add my voice to those telling them to try some different ideas when it comes to what no longer works.
                Democrats>Socialists>Communists - Same goals, different speeds.

                The most effective and pervasive enemy of American freedoms today is the Legacy Media. Defeat them first.

                Comment

                • #9
                  ElvenSoul
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Apr 2008
                  • 17431

                  I hate the NRA and disagree on what they are doing most of the time but I renew my membership every year.

                  Our rights are under serious attack and freedoms are evaporating out there.
                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Barang
                    CGN Contributor
                    • Aug 2013
                    • 13428

                    If image is what going to prevent future members in joining, then we are going to lose an important advocate. One less formidable protector of our 2A.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      billofrights
                      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                      CGN Contributor
                      • Oct 2012
                      • 2343

                      If an organization fighting for what you believe in doesn't have the image you want, then join up and CHANGE IT. If it's "angry old white guys" then get all of your young female and minority friends with 2A leanings to join up.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        NOTABIKER
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Mar 2012
                        • 7635

                        I would hate this to become a old vrs young debate but the values of a lot of older gun owners are not the same as younger gun owners. Maybe some older NRA officials and Conservative people in general do not fit their life style. nobody on the left fits my values and lifestyle for sure. looking at HOLDER, OBAMA on the news bothers me a lot. mostly younger voters elected them 2 times.
                        Last edited by NOTABIKER; 07-02-2014, 6:15 PM.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          I Swan
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Sep 2010
                          • 8770

                          [QUOTE=ScottsBad;14397907

                          On CalGuns - I'm frankly not crazy about the folks who run it or the foundation, but I try to support the good parts of what they do.[/QUOTE]

                          Care to explain why? Seems strange since you are a lifetime contributor.

                          I usually send in the money for NRA when I remember I think my membership ran out I'll renew it soon.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            003
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jul 2010
                            • 3436

                            The NRA is the 800 pound gorilla when it comes to protecting our 2nd amendment rights. They are the only national pro gun organization that walks the halls of congress. While some may not agree with the NRA on every issue, they are the best hope for all gun owners when it comes to protecting our rights.

                            Anyone that does not support the NRA is being very shortsighted when it comes to the big picture and what is best for all of us.

                            Keep in mind the NRA does not have a sugar daddy like the former mayor of New York. The strength of the NRA IS DRIECTLY RELATED TO ITS MEMBERSHIP.

                            I always get a kick out hearing the national media and some anti-gun politicians talk about the NRA as if it was a single evil entity that has some mystical power over congress and not a true grass roots organization made up of 6 million members.

                            A challenge to my fellow Cal Gunners - - - provide a gift membership to one deserving teen that you know. A neighbor - - family friend - - niece - - nephew- - or??
                            Last edited by 003; 07-02-2014, 12:26 PM.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              philobeddoe
                              Senior Member
                              • Aug 2007
                              • 2022

                              Angry old white guys? That's the perception? That's ridiculous. Must be a lot of HuffPo and Daily Kos readers posting today.
                              ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

                              NRA MEMBERSHIP


                              GOA MEMBERSHIP

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1