Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Varmint cartridge and rifle

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • 4Patriot
    Junior Member
    • Nov 2013
    • 78

    Varmint cartridge and rifle

    Anyone care to share some thoughts? What is the most versatile/best cartridge/rifle combination for varmint hunting? Assume that you only get one choice -- what do you bring to that proverbial desert isle?
  • #2
    pacrat
    I need a LIFE!!
    • May 2014
    • 10285

    22-250 rem

    Comment

    • #3
      davidb
      Senior Member
      • Sep 2010
      • 1769

      my take on it is no need for the oddball or exotic calibers

      .22lr and .223 cover all the varmint needs

      Comment

      • #4
        capitol
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2005
        • 2503

        .204 Ruger

        Comment

        • #5
          postal
          Banned
          • Mar 2008
          • 4566

          Depends on distance and target size.

          22lr close
          223 2-3 hundred yards if you're good- more if you're exceptional....
          22-250,243,260,6 or 6.5mm for 400+

          Everything has a trade off too. Cost/availability of ammo, and barrel life are relative as you step up.

          Comment

          • #6
            damon1272
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2006
            • 4857

            For all around I would say the .223. I love my 22-250 but I have to run a brake to stop the scope black out and you just cannot shoot as much as the .223 due to the barrel heating faster. I also love the .17 HMR but not good on anything above a rabbit. I would not feel right going after a coyote with a .17 HMR.

            Comment

            • #7
              Bangzoom
              Calguns Addict
              • Jul 2012
              • 6793

              Originally posted by davidb
              my take on it is no need for the oddball or exotic calibers

              .22lr and .223 cover all the varmint needs
              agreed...but i could also use my 5.45x39

              Comment

              • #8
                Tank 57
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2009
                • 4178

                Love my .22-250. Think .223 is more versatile.

                Comment

                • #9
                  SB1964
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2012
                  • 4876

                  Depends on what I'm shooting. 17HMR, .22LR, 22-250. Bucket list "to do" drive until I find a legal area to blast prarie dogs & squirrels. Like that "dog b gone" video.
                  Yes I took the pic, no I didn't go swimming!

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Virus55
                    Senior Member
                    • Aug 2012
                    • 1697

                    .223 OR 22-250
                    Active Law Enforcement
                    Certified Glock Armorer
                    Hunter & Fisherman
                    God Bless The USA
                    Lets Go Brandon!!!

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      NorCalFocus
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2013
                      • 3913

                      .223 in a AR. The whole reason I'm building an AR.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        krwada
                        Senior Member
                        CGN Contributor
                        • Jun 2013
                        • 1457

                        varmints

                        .22-250

                        followed by

                        .223

                        Believe it or not ... I have bagged quite a few small critters using a 12 ga loaded with #4 shot. You did say desert isle did you not?

                        If I were on a small to medium sized Pacific Island ... then my go to would be 12 gauge loaded with #4 shot. I know I would probably eat pretty well with a combo like that ... for awhile anyhow.
                        Last edited by krwada; 06-03-2014, 8:00 AM.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          4Patriot
                          Junior Member
                          • Nov 2013
                          • 78

                          Great, thanks for the input. I see some consensus. Would your answers differ if the question were applied to varmints and small game?

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            09rubicon
                            Senior Member
                            • Mar 2011
                            • 2133

                            I have a .223 AR platform set up with a 22" full float match barrel and some nicer redfield optics. I can take out ground squirels all day long at 100-400 meters.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              curtru
                              Senior Member
                              • Feb 2012
                              • 1278

                              If was my choices I'd use a 223 now days because 22.lr is harder to find and you can take larger vermin with 223. Btw I use a savage bolt action with a bull barrel and an ar in 223 for my vermin guns and so far my farthest confirmed with my bolt gun I think 750 yards but it wasn't easy.

                              Sent from my SCH-S735C using Tapatalk

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1