Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Glocks....what's the fascination?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Wild West
    Member
    • May 2014
    • 393

    Glocks....what's the fascination?

    Like the title states, what's the fascination with Glocks? I'm curios. I personally don't own one, but may in the future for the record, so please don't start a war here...that's not the intention.

    They seem to be the one gun that has either a LOVE or HATE crowd. I see people posting in other threads state how they just SSE'd "another" Glock and they already own 3-4 of them, etc., etc. What's so attractive to buying multiple Glock 19's for example? When I walk into a shop and look at all the handguns in the case, I pass right by the Glock section every time. No offense, but they are just plain jane with nothing that makes them stand out at all.

    For me, I'm a Sig Sauer guy...love the look, the feel, the quality... the variety....love everything about them. I also can appreciate a nice polymer gun like Springfield Armory, the all black or bi-tone. HK, CZ, S&W, Beretta, Colt, Kimber.....all of those and more are more appealing to me for some reason.

    So I've tried to come up with a reason why some people flock to them and only them....

    Price: They are CHEAP compared to a lot of other gun brands.

    Dependability: I don't know from personal experience, but I've read that they are very dependable...but so are Springfields and Sig's and Smith&Wesson's, no?

    Cult like following: What am I missing? Other than the name itself.."GLOCK", what's so cool about these guns? They're pretty ugly to be honest IMO, not to mention they have a different off-set grip that I hear people complain about.

    Anyways, like I said previously, I may buy one in the future just to have one, but would like to hear more about them first. So which side are you on...the LOVE or HATE Glock crowd?
  • #2
    vintagearms
    Calguns Addict
    • Jan 2009
    • 6841

    Try one first, then you might understand. They actually point, for me at least like Sigs.

    Comment

    • #3
      ElDub1950
      Calguns Addict
      • Aug 2012
      • 5688

      Well, like you, a lot of people place a great value on the appearance of a gun. That's fine.

      Me, like most glock owners, want a highly reliable tool that works every time, is easy to maintain and is cost effective. I don't care what my hammers look like either.

      I've never heard of a bad guy being dazzled by his victim's gun, so I don't care what my SD/HD guns look like.

      Comment

      • #4
        Wild West
        Member
        • May 2014
        • 393

        Originally posted by vintagearms
        Try one first, then you might understand. They actually point, for me at least like Sigs.
        I would love to shoot one actually as I enjoy shooting all guns. Just wanted to hear some valid reasons why I would buy one.

        Comment

        • #5
          tgunsmoke
          Member
          • Mar 2014
          • 266

          Reliable, low maintenance, and affordable.
          Rachael.

          Comment

          • #6
            barrage
            Banned
            • Oct 2012
            • 3351

            Because the work and are reliable, like others have said.

            I like them for their utilitarianism and lack of safety mechanisms.

            Comment

            • #7
              bergmen
              Senior Member
              • May 2011
              • 2493

              Well for me (and my wife who picked out a Glock before I did):

              01) Most reliable auto handgun I've ever owned.
              02) Consistently accurate.
              03) Corrosion resistant.
              04) Rugged and durable.
              05) Loads of accessories available.
              06) Carried by something like 65% of the world's Military and Law Enforcement Agencies.
              07) Easy to disassemble and clean.
              08) Runs perfectly when dirty and neglected (which we never do but nice to know).
              09) I don't care what it looks like (I did at one time but got over that pretty quick).

              Dan

              Comment

              • #8
                neouser
                Senior Member
                • Jan 2012
                • 1141

                Actually, Glocks cost more than the XD and M&P. So I wouldn't say "inexpensive" is a good reason.

                I don't love or hate them. I like them because they're "business" guns. They're not showy or flashy, they're simple and they work. They have very few parts, can be serviced completely with only a 1/8" punch, and have minimalist controls. They're accurate enough for most defensive purposes, have a good track record with law enforcement over the years, and have been torture tested to no end. Replacement parts are readily available and the magazines don't cost an arm and a leg. I also tend to like the trigger, as it gives good feedback and it's responsive.

                Glock are definitely "function over form" pistols. The fact that they're ugly makes me like them more, as I can focus on learning how to fight with one rather than avoid scratching it up or worry about ruining the finish.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Wild West
                  Member
                  • May 2014
                  • 393

                  Great reasons so far. I just haven't had the chance to shoot one yet. Sounds to me like they are a good gun to take with you when you don't mind what happens to it. I could use a good "camping" gun. I'll try and get my hands on one soon and give it a shot.
                  Last edited by Wild West; 05-30-2014, 5:50 PM.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Sharp Shooter
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2013
                    • 1128

                    Originally posted by Wild West
                    I would love to shoot one actually as I enjoy shooting all guns. Just wanted to hear some valid reasons why I would buy one.
                    Go rent a couple and see if they work for you. You will find plenty of threads here about Glocks (both haters and fanboys) if you do a search. I have two, a 26 and 19 and I think they are great. But I'm not 100% Glock. I have a Shield, a P938, Rugers, revolvers, etc.

                    It depends what you want to do with them, HD, CCW, plinking, etc.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      sig808
                      Member
                      • Sep 2010
                      • 419

                      If the unique ergonomics of the glick work for the individual, then its a highly reliable and accurate firearm. Its also a decent value.

                      If it doesn't fit then the person tends to end up in the "hate glock" camp.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        lovnik
                        Junior Member
                        • Mar 2014
                        • 60

                        Originally posted by bergmen
                        Well for me (and my wife who picked out a Glock before I did):

                        03) Corrosion resistant.
                        05) Loads of accessories available.
                        07) Easy to disassemble and clean.
                        These are pretty big "pluses" IMO, especially as a revolver guy.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          geoint
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2014
                          • 4385

                          They work, are affordable and are low maintenance. Im a Sig guy too but I cant pretend my Sigs are any more dependable than my glocks. With that said, there are nicer guns out there like high end 1911s, Sigs, HKs...etc. But they cost more, arent any more dependable than a Glock and IMO offer little the Glock doesnt besides 'being pretty'.

                          I will say that I think springfields are ugly as hell and I actually find my glocks far more 'pretty' in a stoic kind of way
                          Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt

                          I Hate California.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            barrage
                            Banned
                            • Oct 2012
                            • 3351

                            Almost forgot, they hold a ton of ammo compared to a lot of their counterparts. 15 rounds of .40s&w in a standard magazine is pretty awesome.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Virus55
                              Senior Member
                              • Aug 2012
                              • 1697

                              Originally posted by tgunsmoke
                              Reliable, low maintenance, and affordable.
                              +1!!!!
                              Active Law Enforcement
                              Certified Glock Armorer
                              Hunter & Fisherman
                              God Bless The USA
                              Lets Go Brandon!!!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1