Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

80% lower polymers.....never again.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • D_ninja
    Member
    • Nov 2012
    • 283

    80% lower polymers.....never again.

    Milled it out per specs and per company recommendation. Placed an AR pistol upper on it and had about 300 successful shots.....then pow!! It literally shattered. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399357246.409397.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399357279.305920.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1399357290.439218.jpg

    I'll never trust polymer lowers again.
    Just want to give you guys the heads up on my personal experience. Note the several fractures in the grip and trigger guard area.
  • #2
    Jasonaspears
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2011
    • 1200

    What brand was this? Any chance the grip was overtightened?

    Comment

    • #3
      Eagle Eyes
      Member
      • Aug 2010
      • 225

      From the description of the cracking and the way the plastic looks and shines in the photos I am would guess it was a fiberglass lower and not a true polymer plastic lower (which would be a plastic similar to Glock frame plastic).

      Comment

      • #4
        D_ninja
        Member
        • Nov 2012
        • 283

        80% lower polymers.....never again.

        I didn't over tighten the grip. Even if I did, the buffer tube region should have held up.

        I bought it from Polymer80. It does feel similar to a glock polymer.

        Comment

        • #5
          Discogodfather
          CGN Contributor
          • Feb 2010
          • 5516

          No shortage of quality AR lowers out there, find a cheap FFL and buy the best for a grand total of $150. Drill press 80% polymer lowers are, well, awful.

          A CNC party is about the bare minimum of quality, these drill press jigs just produce the worst quality imaginable, even in aluminum. Your going to drill out a pocket and grind it with a dremel when the factory tolerance on a CNC part is .005" and get a similar result? I'm 100% pro-home built but this is getting silly.
          Originally posted by doggie
          Someone must put an end to this endless bickering by posting the unadulterated indisputable facts and truth.
          Originally posted by PMACA_MFG
          Not checkers, not chess, its Jenga.
          "The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez

          Comment

          • #6
            Jasonaspears
            Senior Member
            • Feb 2011
            • 1200

            Originally posted by D_ninja
            I didn't over tighten the grip. Even if I did, the buffer tube region should have held up.

            I bought it from Polymer80. It does feel similar to a glock polymer.
            Definitely a high stress area. Sorry you had the problems. Maybe the manufacturer will work with you on a replacement.

            Comment

            • #7
              Jimi Jah
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Jan 2014
              • 19232

              Originally posted by Jasonaspears
              Definitely a high stress area. Sorry you had the problems. Maybe the manufacturer will work with you on a replacement.
              In aluminum?

              Comment

              • #8
                SkyHawk
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Sep 2012
                • 23531

                Originally posted by D_ninja
                I didn't over tighten the grip. Even if I did, the buffer tube region should have held up.
                That square hole they molded in for the grip nut was just asking for it IMO. Not sure why the buffer tube tower let go at the same time. Out of curiosity, were you shooting .223 or 5.56?


                Originally posted by Discogodfather
                No shortage of quality AR lowers out there, find a cheap FFL and buy the best for a grand total of $150.
                You don't just walk into an FFL and buy a serialized pistol AR lower in CA. If you know of an out of state provider that will ship a lower to CA as a PISTOL and a CA FFL that will transfer it to the buyer as a PISTOL, please share what you've got.
                Last edited by SkyHawk; 05-06-2014, 9:33 AM.
                Click here for my iTrader Feedback thread: https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...r-feedback-100

                Comment

                • #9
                  IntoForever
                  CGSSA Associate
                  • Sep 2010
                  • 3891

                  What caliber upper did you have on it? I only have .22 on mine.
                  With all this "gun control" talk, I've not heard one politician say how they plan on taking guns from criminals, just law abiding Citizens.

                  Originally posted by Nose Nuggets
                  5 guys, hot damn thats some good eat'n.
                  Originally posted by pyromensch
                  damn, i duped my own thread...first time i did a poll

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    mif_slim
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Apr 2008
                    • 10089

                    Im sure the 7" barrel had put a lot more pressure on the buffer/tube forcing the buffer to crack the lower.

                    I have 3 polymer lowers, two were built from factory (Plum Crazy and NFA) and one 80%, I haven't had problems with them yet, but the PC does have well over 6000 rounds with no signs of giving up. The NFA I just got and haven't really went out to shoot it yet as well as the 80%, which will be a dedicated 22 AR pistol.

                    I'm not speaking for anyone else, but when I got the 80% poly, I just got it for educational purposes. If it breaks it breaks.
                    Originally posted by Gottmituns
                    It's not protecting the rights of the 1%, it's IMPOSING new laws because of the 1%.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Jasonaspears
                      Senior Member
                      • Feb 2011
                      • 1200

                      Originally posted by Jimi Jah
                      In aluminum?
                      What do you mean? This is a polymer lower as stated by the OP

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        bohoki
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Jan 2006
                        • 20826

                        simple thing they have to redesign it to not have the rear take down pin hole

                        i have this idea to mount it using a little stirrup type fitting clamping to the upper then going through a vertical hole in the receiver under the grip

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          -hanko
                          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                          CGN Contributor
                          • Jul 2002
                          • 14174

                          Originally posted by Discogodfather
                          No shortage of quality AR lowers out there, find a cheap FFL and buy the best for a grand total of $150. Drill press 80% polymer lowers are, well, awful.

                          A CNC party is about the bare minimum of quality, these drill press jigs just produce the worst quality imaginable, even in aluminum. Your going to drill out a pocket and grind it with a dremel when the factory tolerance on a CNC part is .005" and get a similar result? I'm 100% pro-home built but this is getting silly.
                          Thanks for a well-needed bit of reality.

                          If the folks using drill presses, with or without jigs, or dremel tools, or routers, or whatever, would take a look at an ar lower drawing and note the tolerances...they'd see very quickly that they're lucky to get a finished lower that works at all.

                          Go cheap, go half-arse, you'll get crap.

                          If you want a diy lower that will work, try aluminum and a milling machine. If you want the off-paper aspect...you're too late.
                          True wealth is time. Time to enjoy life.

                          Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

                          Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

                          A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Area 52
                            Senior Member
                            • Apr 2009
                            • 533

                            Originally posted by Sky.Hawk

                            You don't just walk into an FFL and buy a serialized pistol AR lower in CA. If you know of an out of state provider that will ship a lower to CA as a PISTOL and a CA FFL that will transfer it to the buyer as a PISTOL, please share what you've got.
                            There are none. There are no AR lower recievers on the roster. To SSE, you need a complete pistol.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              DisgruntledReaper
                              Senior Member
                              • Jan 2009
                              • 1863

                              They supposedly have a LIFE TIME WARRANTY offered on their lowers, they do usually want the damaged lower back.. I would call Poly80 and talk to them......

                              They are back to making and selling lowers... had to change the red material in the lower to all uniform black material....
                              'There is no theory of evolution, just a list of creatures Chuck Norris allows to live.'

                              'I have so many good karma points I am approaching Saint Hood'

                              "They tell you of a laundry detergent that takes out bloodstains- I'm thinking that if you have clothes covered in bloodstains-maybe laundry isn't your biggest problem"

                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1