Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Home Insurance for gun owner

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • OmegaTrader
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2014
    • 575

    Home Insurance for gun owner

    If you own guns, should you notify your home insurance agent to update the policy? Is there a downside of this, since the company can cancel your policy? I'm a total newbie on this thing. And if you tell them, do you have to tell them the number of guns you own? What's the downside for not telling them?
  • #2
    Squirly
    Senior Member
    • Jun 2013
    • 674

    I spoke to aaa and state farm on about this previously. Seems there is a separate policy that covers that type of item. And they need to know make and serial numbers of what is covered!
    CA/TX

    Comment

    • #3
      OmegaTrader
      Senior Member
      • Mar 2014
      • 575

      Originally posted by Squirly
      I spoke to aaa and state farm on about this previously. Seems there is a separate policy that covers that type of item. And they need to know make and serial numbers of what is covered!
      So I assume that if you don't tell them and that yours get stolen, they won't cover that? My worry isn't so much about the covering of the firearms. It's more about the houses themselves. Given the current sentiment regarding firearms, especially AR15 which I happen to own quite a few, they may just cancel the whole policy altogether.

      Comment

      • #4
        duckman1
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
        CGN Contributor
        • Aug 2009
        • 3786

        You need to read your policy, many contain a sublimit for firearm theft.

        Comment

        • #5
          AKSOG
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2007
          • 4139

          ...
          Last edited by AKSOG; 04-01-2015, 10:27 PM.

          Comment

          • #6
            003
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2010
            • 3436

            Most home owner insurance policies only cover a relatively small fixed amount for all personal property, which will include firearms. To cover the full amount of a gun collection will require a secondary or “rider” policy. Doing that will require you to list all firearms with detailed description and serial number, similar to insuring expensive jewelry or any other expensive item/s.
            Last edited by 003; 03-31-2014, 7:49 AM.

            Comment

            • #7
              9M62
              Senior Member
              • Oct 2011
              • 1519

              This thread is full of correct answers, so I'll repeat it:

              Your insurance likely covers up to a given amount for any and all "incidentals." My insurance covered like $3000 worth of jewelry, like $1500 worth of firearms, etc. etc.

              I increased my coverage to cover all of my rifles and our jewelry.

              There's two things you need to consider: Most insurance is around $100/yr per $10,000 of coverage (as a very rough estimate). Most insurance will give you two figures:

              1) Total coverage, I.E., $30,000 total for guns (as an example).
              2) Coverage per item, I.E., no more than $3000 per item.

              In my case, and I use Farmers, they requested make/model/serial for the firearms as well as a value associated with. I did not need to provide receipts. They review it, underwrite it, and come back with a quote and a coverage listing the two things I said above - a per item coverage limit and a total value coverage limit. I specifically asked my good friend (who is also my insurance agent) what they do with the make/model/serial, and who it's transferred to. It stays in the office of the agent, and is only pulled out when a claim is made to ensure the particular firearm is on the "list." They will also cross reference it with any police report you file when you report it stolen. It does not get sent anywhere, and no one else see's it.

              In the end, we pay a few hundred bucks extra per year for coverage and my per-item cost is set to cover even my most expensive rifle, and the overall cost covers more than the current lot of firearms I own are worth. This gives me room to grow.

              Do not simply buy based on total value -- you'll be pissed if you get $1000 for a $3000 rifle, when it was the only one stolen or whatever.

              Comment

              • #8
                XDJYo
                Calguns Addict
                • Apr 2012
                • 7100

                In the process of doing this with Farmers. My agent is supposed to call me back today with info.


                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Les Baer 1911: Premier II w/1.5" Guarantee, Blued, No FCS, Combat Rear, F/O Front, Checkered MSH & SA Professional Double Diamond Grips
                Springfield Armory XD-45 4" Service Model
                Springfield Armory XD9 4" Service Model (wifes).
                M&P 15 (Mine)

                Comment

                • #9
                  coryhenry
                  Senior Member
                  • Jul 2012
                  • 1326

                  USAA had me take out a personal property rider, which I also had to do with my wifes engagement ring to cover the items.
                  Cory

                  "Every man dies, not every man really lives!"

                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    whipkiller
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2009
                    • 3461

                    My State Farm policy covered up to $2,500 and I added a rider to increase it to $5K which is their limit.

                    They didn't ask me for serial numbers.
                    Too many hobbies, Too little time.

                    Mind you, I'm 5'7", 180, with a visible Ab...

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      ldsnet
                      Senior Member
                      • Oct 2008
                      • 1423

                      Originally posted by coryhenry
                      USAA had me take out a personal property rider, which I also had to do with my wifes engagement ring to cover the items.
                      I had to do the same with USAA - a bit time consuming but was not expensive (in the big picture) and now have coverage for everything (including the safe) and accessories. When you stop to add it all up (magazines, holsters and other gear) it would very quickly hit the $5,000 cap without a separate rider.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        -hanko
                        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                        CGN Contributor
                        • Jul 2002
                        • 14174

                        Originally posted by OmegaTrader
                        If you own guns, should you notify your home insurance agent to update the policy? Is there a downside of this, since the company can cancel your policy? I'm a total newbie on this thing. And if you tell them, do you have to tell them the number of guns you own? What's the downside for not telling them?
                        Why would the company cancel your policy??

                        As has been posted a "few" times here, with several in the last week, CALL YOUR AGENT AND ASK.

                        You agent can advise you of costs to cover the weapons above and beyond what the policy usually covers, around $2500 or so.

                        You can also seek insurance on the weapons from a company that specializes in that kind of coverage.

                        If you don't tell them how many you own, how the hell do you expect them to quote you??

                        Get on the google. Report back what you find.
                        True wealth is time. Time to enjoy life.

                        Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

                        Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

                        A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          jerhyn
                          CGSSA Associate
                          • Apr 2013
                          • 711

                          I hate the NRA for sending me so many damn insurance spam letters. However, you NRA membership includes free insurance for your guns if stolen. Forget the covered amount though.

                          Most home owner's insurance policies have a very small cap for the amount of stolen items that they cover regardless of how much is stolen.
                          Donate to CalGuns Shoot Sports Association Today!

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            billped
                            Veteran Member
                            • Oct 2009
                            • 2504

                            I think the NRA coverage is $1000 which is similar to many home insurance standard limits. Neither makes much of a dent in even small collections, but it helps a bit.
                            Bill

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              G-forceJunkie
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Jul 2010
                              • 6479

                              Originally posted by whipkiller
                              My State Farm policy covered up to $2,500 and I added a rider to increase it to $5K which is their limit.

                              They didn't ask me for serial numbers.
                              Same here.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1