Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

My boy screwed up my 80% is it fixable

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • lovemyguns
    Junior Member
    • Feb 2014
    • 89

    My boy screwed up my 80% is it fixable

    So my boy wanted to complete his own 80% lower and I told him to wait until I got home to help him. Did he listen, NO, he saw a youtube video and decided to go ahead with the project alone. I get home and he tells me he messed up and if I can fix it. He said he had a problem because the jig side bolts and nuts are not flushed so he could not get it flat onto the press bench. Drilled all the way through on trigger slot and are to far apart. He bought one from an outfit in San Diego for $70 so I don't know the answer but can I fill it back up with a blob of aluminum and redo it? Any help will be appreciated. I told him to wait because I got my bridgeport running now but kids...here are some pics..


  • #2
    Carsgunsandchics
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2009
    • 3537

    Just a heads up, if he machined it it's now his receiver with bad holes.

    Yes you can weld up the holes and he can try again, but there might still be some problems later to keep an eye out for.
    Originally posted by fighterpilot562
    I am more of a sucker than a blower...

    Comment

    • #3
      lovemyguns
      Junior Member
      • Feb 2014
      • 89

      Originally posted by Carsgunsandchics
      Just a heads up, if he machined it it's now his receiver with bad holes.

      Yes you can weld up the holes and he can try again, but there might still be some problems later to keep an eye out for.
      Problem like what..

      Comment

      • #4
        Carsgunsandchics
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2009
        • 3537

        Loose pin holes at times, or voids in the weld. Usually remedy would be anti-walk pins if needed.
        Originally posted by fighterpilot562
        I am more of a sucker than a blower...

        Comment

        • #5
          hermosabeach
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Feb 2009
          • 19836

          OP
          If I read your post correctly, the trigger pin holes are in the correct placement and size, but the cut out where the trigger goes through to the trigger guard is the issue?

          The two holes drilled are too far apart so the opening under the sear will be large.... is this the issue?
          Rule 1- ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

          Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

          Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

          Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
          (thanks to Jeff Cooper)

          Comment

          • #6
            greg36f
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2009
            • 1758

            Not sure what these cost, but it seems that it's not worth whatever problems could occur. It's like putting a cracked frame under your prized project car. Why start off with a flaw? It's Just not worth it.

            Comment

            • #7
              Vertigofirearms
              Member
              • Mar 2013
              • 430

              Make this into a lesson, Firearms are no joke, doing it wrong will incur severe consequences. Discipline your son for not following YOUR directions by recycling the lower.
              Originally posted by SBCZILLA (ARFCOM)
              Its a ****in tube, one end capped, one end threaded. Dont over think it.

              Comment

              • #8
                jsigone
                Senior Member
                • Apr 2006
                • 1211

                call it lesson learned and get another one. If you do get another, practice on this one since it's scrap anyways, might as well "learn" off it. Things are always easier 2nd time around as its fresh in the mind.

                Comment

                • #9
                  saki302
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Oct 2005
                  • 7191

                  If it's just a bad trigger hole on the bottom, it's cosmetic- the lower will function fine if the hole is a bit too big.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    lovemyguns
                    Junior Member
                    • Feb 2014
                    • 89

                    Originally posted by hermosabeach
                    OP
                    If I read your post correctly, the trigger pin holes are in the correct placement and size, but the cut out where the trigger goes through to the trigger guard is the issue?

                    The two holes drilled are too far apart so the opening under the sear will be large.... is this the issue?
                    Yes....

                    Yes trigger pin holes and selector hole are correct place and size, its the two trigger holes and depth that is off and a small area of the hole. Can I melt a blob of aluminum back into it or fill it in with some JB weld.
                    Last edited by lovemyguns; 03-14-2014, 8:58 AM.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      baih777
                      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                      CGN Contributor
                      • Jul 2011
                      • 5680

                      If you have someone that will weld it for free then get it done. If you have to pay to get it welded then scrap it and get a new one. The weld will Anodize a little different color. If you paint it you should be OK.
                      Been gone too long. It's been 15 to 20 years since i had to shelf my guns. Those early years sucked.
                      I really miss the good old Pomona Gun Shows.
                      I'm Back.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        lovemyguns
                        Junior Member
                        • Feb 2014
                        • 89

                        Originally posted by baih777
                        If you have someone that will weld it for free then get it done. If you have to pay to get it welded then scrap it and get a new one. The weld will Anodize a little different color. If you paint it you should be OK.
                        I can do it for free myself and was asking if I could fill the slot back up with aluminum and just redo it.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Pearlpower
                          Member
                          • Jul 2013
                          • 185

                          Even if you could make it usable, would you want to, that would be my question. Live and learn, we all screwed up a few things in life. Recommend practicing on that reciever more, then once your comfortable, buy a new one to machine for your weapon.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            autoduel
                            Senior Member
                            • Jul 2009
                            • 1080

                            Originally posted by saki302
                            If it's just a bad trigger hole on the bottom, it's cosmetic- the lower will function fine if the hole is a bit too big.
                            This.
                            Depends why you are doing an 80% instead of buying a stripped lower.
                            It's only a longer slot, and no one looks at that part of the gun anyway. If you think tossing it is worth the time spent on it and cost of a new billet 80% for a cosmetic blem, it's your choice.
                            Ignorance, hate, fear and bigotry. The Four Horsemen of Liberalism.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              greg36f
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2009
                              • 1758

                              Originally posted by lovemyguns
                              I can do it for free myself and was asking if I could fill the slot back up with aluminum and just redo it.
                              Yes you can, but no you should not.

                              Are there any concrete reasons for not doing it, not really but there are so many possible issues that it's just not worth it; not for what? A hundred bucks?

                              Practice drilling with it and toss it

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1