Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Shooting in Adverse Weather?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    sohappy
    Member
    • Jun 2012
    • 175

    Originally posted by DennisCA
    Yup - As a 22-year Army Vet, I can vouch for that!

    As my Drill Sgt once told me:

    "If ain't raining we ain't training"
    Builds character!

    Comment

    • #17
      Grumpyoldretiredcop
      Calguns Addict
      • Sep 2008
      • 6437

      I have shot on and worked ranges in some pretty bad weather, and hunted in it also. I'm a little more ready to go inside than I used to be, guess it must be that old age thing I keep hearing folks talk about. Having spent most of my life doing jobs that make you prepare for the weather, I always think that it's a little odd when I see students come to a training class knowing that the weather will be bad and don't bring any rain or cold weather gear at all. Same thing for those who are afraid that their guns and pricey gear will get wet and ruined - it won't, but you might actually have to clean it when you get home instead of just hanging it up for next time...
      I'm retired. That's right, retired. I don't want to hear about the cop who stopped you today or how you didn't think you should get a ticket. That just makes me grumpy!

      Comment

      • #18
        Teeko
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2013
        • 2698

        The wetter the better

        Comment

        • #19
          acegunnr
          • Oct 2005
          • 2334

          I took a couple of training courses where it rained. My Peltors hearing protection got fried and stopped working. Make sure your gear is waterproof.

          Comment

          • #20
            Tri750
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2011
            • 1030

            Couple years ago there was a multi day class in Fresno put on by Matt Pimentel and Bill Luper. We're pretty spoiled in Fres because we sadly don't get much rain. It rained off and on pretty good on the Sunday.
            We shot anyway by vote. No one melted, we got wet and muddy.
            Looked like a bunch of wet cats. But smiling wet cats.

            Had another class for my Church's Security team where we had our famous tule fog. Shot anyway.
            We also had a night shoot at the Peace Officers Range.
            I think you have to shoot in adverse conditions. The world can be a bit adverse at times.

            Comment

            • #21
              toby
              Banned
              • Jan 2010
              • 10576

              It's been going on since firearms were invented.

              Comment

              • #22
                SanPedroShooter
                Calguns Addict
                • Jan 2010
                • 9732

                I like to go to the range when its raining or right after, no one there.

                In some relation to the stories about military quals in the rain, we shoot indoors mostly in the Coast Guard, its not a combat service so we did more police type training, but I remember the first SAR call I ever went on. It was about three AM, pitch black and pouring rain.

                When I finally got home it occurred to me that nature of search and rescue is going to involve a lot darkness and bad weather, seems obvious now.... I like to test my gear in conditions similar to conditions I would use it under.

                If it aint raining, we aint etc etc..

                Comment

                • #23
                  CK_32
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Sep 2010
                  • 14369

                  I've shot in drizzle. Nothing crazy tho. Idk about how much that tests your equipment really tho.. That's like saying leaving your car in the rain is a good test.. Only thing it's testing is the paint..


                  If you think about it physically the only thing those adverse conditions are touching is your finish.. Unless your combat rolling which I doubt most if any of use aside for the youtube commandos are actually going to do. The internals see no different...
                  For Sale: AR500 Lvl III+ ASC Armor

                  What's Your Caliber??


                  My Youtube channel

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    OldShooter32
                    Senior Member
                    • Jan 2012
                    • 2065

                    I was shooting at a major NMC match -- 200 yard rapid sitting stage. We (about 70 shooters) got prepped and were ready to go when a huge Arkansas squall hit. Targets came up and the rain came down! I dropped into sitting just in time for the target to disappear in the pouring rain. No alibis, so I shot "position" and when the scores came up, I was top shooter -- with 85-1x!
                    Unfortunately, relay two had clear weather and the usual "cleans" showed up... But for a short while I was leading the pack!
                    "If we make enough laws, we can all be criminals."

                    Walnut media for bright brass
                    http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=621214

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      emtmark
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2010
                      • 2494

                      I so rarely get to go shooting that if/when I get the chance I go. Had a BLM guy roll up on us out a panoche in driving sleet/rain. He was concerned that we would become hypothermic/stuck/hurt etc. It was funny that for all his concern he never got out of his truck. We had a blast and still talk about that trip.
                      I know what this man needs.............bring me the vodka

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        postal
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2008
                        • 4566

                        High wind/dust and a little rain can screw up some triggers. Saw 3 bolt actions tank during a match with those conditions. 2 were jewels. (just enough rain to get the dust and dirt to stick to everything like glue....)

                        Besides that, they should work just fine in rain or snow. Unless it gets REALLY cold outside.... then you need to consider the temp your lube will freeze at.

                        Sunflower oil as I recall has the lowest freezing temp, and was used by military's in really cold weather for decades. Otherwise, run the gun completely clean and dry of lube so it doesnt freeze shut.

                        Consider the "Winter War" when Russia invaded Finland.... In the mountains in winter it was -40.... -42 is the identical on both scales farenheit/ celsius.... The Fins managed to kill about 500,000 Russians in a whopping 3 months in those conditions.... The guns work if you have a reliable gun, and know how to operate it in those conditions.

                        Rain... Meh..... after you get home and clean it, use more oil more liberally and coat it well... otherwise, no big thing....

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          SacTown
                          Senior Member
                          • Apr 2011
                          • 1784

                          I've taken my AR's and AK out in pouring down rain a couple times and in heavy snow before. That's about it I guess. No failures as expected but it was fun nonetheless.
                          sigpic SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            smle-man
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Jan 2007
                            • 10606

                            Besides nasty conditions in the military I used to go shooting in the middle of the winter in Michigan, Colorado, Illinois, Pennsylvania. I hated losing fired cases in the snow. I usually had the range pretty much to myself.

                            These are pictures from a shooting trip a couple winters ago right here in the Los Padres forest





                            It was snowing so hard we couldn't see the targets and finally had to give up!
                            Last edited by smle-man; 02-27-2014, 11:30 PM.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              Anthracis
                              Banned
                              • Jan 2014
                              • 966

                              It seems everytime I'm in a training environment, adverse weather comes a knockin'. My motto drilled in...if it ain't rainin', it ain't trainin'.

                              Last class, it was horizontal rain. Windy as hell and targets kept falling over or tearing off. Sucked so good!

                              Shot in snow, sand, desert, and pretty much all wx. Good clothing/uniform and a cleaning kit are your best friends.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                Jimi Jah
                                I need a LIFE!!
                                • Jan 2014
                                • 19273

                                Raining today. I'm going out to shoot, in the indoor range.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1