Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Interesting Target Stand Ideas?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • GunRunnerz
    Member
    • Sep 2013
    • 216

    Interesting Target Stand Ideas?

    Hey guys! I just finished building a steel target stand. It's lightweight, collapsible, and was only $5, but now I want to make something more challenging.

    What kind of crazy target stand ideas do ya'll have? I am open to some interesting ideas. Preferably nothing too difficult to construct and not incredibly expensive. While we are on the topic what are your favorite target stands?


    Video for those interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLEaW0vlcio
    sigpic

    Check us out on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/GunRunnerz762
  • #2
    NytWolf
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2010
    • 3935

    You should include a warning on welding galvanized or zinc plated steel.

    Comment

    • #3
      Ron Swanson
      Member
      • Apr 2013
      • 311

      Good job!

      Comment

      • #4
        morfeeis
        Calguns Addict
        • Apr 2010
        • 7605

        I'd buy one for $25, you should start selling them.....
        ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
        Originally posted by Ayn Rand
        You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.

        Comment

        • #5
          iluvmycolt
          Veteran Member
          • May 2013
          • 3247

          Not bad at all. Nice job!

          Comment

          • #6
            nickel plate
            Senior Member
            • Jul 2012
            • 2134

            This is my favorite wooden target stand. I built this wood target/paper stand with hillside slopes or flat ground in mind-the stand will variably rotate (no wrenches required) from flat ground 90 degree vertical to a very steep hillside and still be at 90 degrees vertical. No staple gun/hammer tacker or thumb tacks required to hold the 36" target paper (kraft or roofing paper) as full length pressure plates do that job. Stows neatly-OA length is 48 inches, extended OH height is 72+ inches. I'm thinking about distributing plan sets that the average guy with a tape measure, drill and a saw can build a set from products found at a standard hardware store/lumber yard. The photo showing the kraft paper and blue taped on target was applied with a hammer tacker-thus the random paper wrinkles-my new design utilizes adjustable pressure points that eliminate paper shadow/wrinkles.
            Last edited by nickel plate; 12-23-2014, 8:07 AM.

            Comment

            • #7
              baka
              Senior Member
              • Jul 2013
              • 485

              Nice job!

              I'm putting together a new target stand for the zombie shoot - If I had bought the parts already I would have given this a shot
              Fear Can Hold You Prisoner - Hope Can Set You Free!

              Reporter: "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist?"

              Marine: "Recoil."

              Comment

              • #8
                cwilliams
                Senior Member
                • Jun 2012
                • 1244

                All fits into a bag with other range goodies. No piece is longer than 30" and it's very lightweight

                -3/4" EMT pipe bolted to a folding stand I picked up at a gun show
                -5/16" threaded rod to hold the clays on SureSite hangers
                -3/8" piece of rebar for the steel targets (clearance bin at GongShot.com)
                -Steel is hung with rubber tarp straps and a grade 8 bolt. Straps are great because the bullet splash goes right through it and won't continue to tear if it splits.

                I used to use the wood for the upright. It was plenty sturdy for this rig, but the splash really chewed it up. EMT is as cheap to replace. I generally only shoot .22 at this setup.

                Comment

                • #9
                  GunRunnerz
                  Member
                  • Sep 2013
                  • 216

                  Originally posted by cwilliams
                  All fits into a bag with other range goodies. No piece is longer than 30" and it's very lightweight

                  -3/4" EMT pipe bolted to a folding stand I picked up at a gun show
                  -5/16" threaded rod to hold the clays on SureSite hangers
                  -3/8" piece of rebar for the steel targets (clearance bin at GongShot.com)
                  -Steel is hung with rubber tarp straps and a grade 8 bolt. Straps are great because the bullet splash goes right through it and won't continue to tear if it splits.

                  I used to use the wood for the upright. It was plenty sturdy for this rig, but the splash really chewed it up. EMT is as cheap to replace. I generally only shoot .22 at this setup.

                  Wow that is an innovative design. Thanks for sharing.
                  sigpic

                  Check us out on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/GunRunnerz762

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    cwilliams
                    Senior Member
                    • Jun 2012
                    • 1244

                    Originally posted by GunRunnerz
                    Wow that is an innovative design. Thanks for sharing.
                    Thanks! I just modified it to use the EMT today. Hardest thing is lining up the holes on each side to drill. If I had a drill press, it would have cut the time in half by being able to drill straight through. Not as easy as it sounds to line it up by hand even with thoroughly marking everything.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Jimi Jah
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Jan 2014
                      • 19256

                      One of my fav's are political candidate signs that are left all over town after an election. Some have metal poles that easily pull in and out of the ground. Slap on some shoot n C targets and blast away at some of your favorite candidates!

                      Wish I saved more Obama signs...

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        barrage
                        Banned
                        • Oct 2012
                        • 3351

                        Originally posted by Jimi Jah
                        One of my fav's are political candidate signs that are left all over town after an election. Some have metal poles that easily pull in and out of the ground. Slap on some shoot n C targets and blast away at some of your favorite candidates!

                        Wish I saved more Obama signs...
                        Good one!

                        I usually just rely on all the crap left behind by other shooters to jerry rig a stand out of. God knows there's always enough garbage left out there to get creative with.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          CGT80
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 2008
                          • 2981

                          I built folding bases that have the upright tubes welded on. The base is 18" long and about 5" tall. It folds out into a cross. There are two holes for 8" nails. I use 1x2 wood pieces that are 4' long. An official IPSC target is 18" wide. I use the IPSC targets in competition and for practice. When they get shot up quite a bit, I use them with paper targets taped on.

                          The same stand will support up to a 12" x 1/2" AR 500 steel plate. I have a 12", 2 8", and 2 6" AR 500 circles. I made an upright out of rebar with a piece of square tubing on the top and bottom. The bottom side slips into the target stand. When shooting steel, I often put 2 more nails through the sides of the stand, where the wood stakes usually go. The top of the upright has a 1/2" hole in the tubing. A 1/2" bolt holds the steel plates in place. The plate will move a fair amount so that the force is dissipated and the bullets are not thrown straight back at the shooter.

                          I need to take some photos of them. I have been using them for the last year and the bases have held up extremely well. The tops of some of the uprights have been hit with bullets and I can no longer take the bolt out. A simple hook design on the rebar might be even better. I shoot the plates with 223, 30-30, 30-06, and 460 S&W Mag, plus all of the smaller pistol cartridges. The range I shoot at is in a canyon with rocky riverbed type soil. The 3/8" x 8" spike work well to hold the target stands.


                          I also have a few other target holders for steel plates. At our range, we have big t posts on the back rifle ranges. It looks kind of like a clothes line pole made of 1.5" pipe. I have a 4" pipe with an arm welded to it. The end of the arm has a 1/2" nut. A bolt holds the steel plates to the nut/arm. The whole thing slips on the t post. It takes around 2 minutes to pull it out of my truck and throw it on the post and paint it. One of them has a 14"x14"x1.5" steel plate hanging from it.

                          I have been very pleased with my stands for being something that I just welded up from steel that I got as remnants from Industrial Metal Supply. The Ar 500 plates are from Wideners. They are holding up great to 223 and 30-06 even as close as 50 yards.
                          He who dies with the most tools/toys wins

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          UA-8071174-1