Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unloaded Conceal Carry of AOW...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • pullnshoot25
    Banned
    • Mar 2007
    • 8068

    Unloaded Conceal Carry of AOW...

    So as we all know, it is legal to conceal a rifle or shotgun under your coat or whatever as long as it is unloaded.

    My question is, can you do it with an AOW? Like, a cut-down Mossberg Cruiser or other such weapon? I know there might be some nuances in the law concerning this so I thought I would ask, at least for scholarship purposes.

    Just curious...
  • #2
    pullnshoot25
    Banned
    • Mar 2007
    • 8068

    NM, just answered my own question... it can't have a barrel shorter than 16"... which doesn't do jack for an AOW... crap!

    Not unless I get a C&R SxS and cut the hell out of it...

    Comment

    • #3
      aplinker
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Feb 2007
      • 16762

      Originally posted by pullnshoot25
      NM, just answered my own question... it can't have a barrel shorter than 16"... which doesn't do jack for an AOW... crap!

      Not unless I get a C&R SxS and cut the hell out of it...
      Even then you would have issues with the language of the law that says, "handgun or other firearm capable of being concealed"...

      I would say they wrote that with shorty AOW (how did they know we'd be so smart?) in mind.

      PS - you don't need C&R to cut an AOW shotgun.

      Google Map of OLL Dealers

      List of CA-friendly Manufacturers, Dealers, Middlemen, and Magazine rebuild kit dealers
      Click me-->So you're a n00b and you want to build an AR? <--Click me
      This post is based on actual events. Some facts may be altered for dramatic purposes. All posts are pure opinion. All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental, and should not be construed.

      Comment

      • #4
        pullnshoot25
        Banned
        • Mar 2007
        • 8068

        Oh I know about the AOW making rules, but it has to be a "firearm" first, e.g. Mossberg Cruiser or the like. C&R rules apply to making an SBR or SBS, as far as my understanding of these draconian laws go.

        PC12001 states a concealable firearm is a pistol, revolver or firearm with a barrel less than 16"... so I think that even if you had an SBR/SBS/AOW, the barrel length requirement alone means you can't carry it concealed, right?

        Comment

        • #5
          aplinker
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Feb 2007
          • 16762

          Originally posted by pullnshoot25
          Oh I know about the AOW making rules, but it has to be a "firearm" first, e.g. Mossberg Cruiser or the like. C&R rules apply to making an SBR or SBS, as far as my understanding of these draconian laws go.
          Nothing I said was in reference to building

          Originally posted by pullnshoot25
          PC12001 states a concealable firearm is a pistol, revolver or firearm with a barrel less than 16"... so I think that even if you had an SBR/SBS/AOW, the barrel length requirement alone means you can't carry it concealed, right?
          That's what I was referring to.

          Google Map of OLL Dealers

          List of CA-friendly Manufacturers, Dealers, Middlemen, and Magazine rebuild kit dealers
          Click me-->So you're a n00b and you want to build an AR? <--Click me
          This post is based on actual events. Some facts may be altered for dramatic purposes. All posts are pure opinion. All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental, and should not be construed.

          Comment

          • #6
            GuyW
            Banned
            • Dec 2002
            • 4298

            Originally posted by pullnshoot25
            PC12001 states a concealable firearm is a pistol, revolver or firearm with a barrel less than 16"... so I think that even if you had an SBR/SBS/AOW, the barrel length requirement alone means you can't carry it concealed, right?
            Right (not without a CCW...)
            Last edited by GuyW; 07-25-2008, 1:10 PM.

            Comment

            • #7
              pullnshoot25
              Banned
              • Mar 2007
              • 8068

              Originally posted by GuyW
              Not without a CCW...
              Not according to the Sacramento memo. Unloaded rifle or shotgun can be concealed on the person or in a car without a permit. Of course, you have to submit to a 12031 check if requested.

              Comment

              • #8
                GuyW
                Banned
                • Dec 2002
                • 4298

                Let's do this another way.

                If I'm correct, a CCW can permit concealed carrying of a loaded AOW "shotgun", short-barreled rifle, or short-barreled shotgun.

                Those 3 cannot be carried concealed (or loaded) in public otherwise.
                Last edited by GuyW; 07-25-2008, 1:11 PM.

                Comment

                • #9
                  tgriffin
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Nov 2006
                  • 5175

                  Originally posted by pullnshoot25
                  Not according to the Sacramento memo. Unloaded rifle or shotgun can be concealed on the person or in a car without a permit. Of course, you have to submit to a 12031 check if requested.

                  What you are refering to in the Sacramento memo was the Chief acknowledging that NFA barrel length for rifle is 16". If it was a true SBR, that 16" concealled carry would not apply without separate provision in law against the concealled carry of a SBR. For a shotgun, the minimum barrel length, as I'm sure you know, regardless of concealment, is 18" in length and not a hair less.
                  Originally posted by pullnshoot25
                  I would love to have a hole cut in the ceiling so I could pop out and BAM! Hit 'em with my spice weasel...
                  Originally posted by aileron
                  The hassle would be between this. (_._) and this (_0_).
                  Originally posted by Neil McCauley
                  When Im wearing a miniskirt than yeah sure I use my foot to flush the urinals all the time!

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    hoffmang
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Apr 2006
                    • 18448

                    AOW's are basically regulated as if they are handguns under California law as it pertains to bearing them. Keeping them is only really controlled by Federal NFA rules.

                    You could conceal an unloaded Mossberg Cruiser with an 18.25" barrel, but you can't conceal and unloaded 10" Mossberg AOW as it would be considered a concealed "other weapon concealable on the person."

                    Normal rifles and shotguns are by definition not concealable on the person. That does leave an interesting argument about even the 18.25" cruiser but...

                    -Gene
                    Gene Hoffman
                    Chairman, California Gun Rights Foundation

                    DONATE NOW
                    to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @cgfgunrights on Twitter.
                    Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
                    I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!


                    "The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Hopi
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Oct 2005
                      • 7700

                      Originally posted by hoffmang
                      AOW's are basically regulated as if they are handguns under California law as it pertains to bearing them. Keeping them is only really controlled by Federal NFA rules.

                      You could conceal an unloaded Mossberg Cruiser with an 18.25" barrel, but you can't conceal and unloaded 10" Mossberg AOW as it would be considered a concealed "other weapon concealable on the person."

                      Normal rifles and shotguns are by definition not concealable on the person. That does leave an interesting argument about even the 18.25" cruiser but...

                      -Gene
                      What type of firearm is the Cruiser, according to CA law, considering that it is a long arm that requires the buyer to be 21 yrs of age?

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      UA-8071174-1