Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Is Kel-tec a viable mainstream manufacturer?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • dwtt
    Calguns Addict
    • Oct 2005
    • 7470

    Is Kel-tec a viable mainstream manufacturer?

    Kel-tec makes mostly compact DA guns for the ccw market, but they've tried to make some guns that cater to other parts of the gun market. The SU-16 was their first real attempt at this and some can say it was a success for them. However, the guns that followed were all duds. They were duds not because they weren't good guns, but because the company has trouble making them. The RFB bullpup rifle, the KSG shotgun, and the PMR-30 pistol, all never seem to have ramped up to meet customer demand. Does anyone else here think like I do that Kel-tec will always remain one of those odd niche gun companies that will never be considered by gun owners in the ranks of Smith and Wesson, CZ, or Springfield Armory?
  • #2
    OIF_VET
    Senior Member
    • Jul 2008
    • 639

    Ask all the people who have deposits for KSGs at Turners for the last 3 years.

    Comment

    • #3
      18Dmedic
      Senior Member
      • Feb 2011
      • 596

      I don't see them going anywhere. They've been around too long and have brand recognition and loyalty. I think if they went belly up, a smart guy would come along and buy them out and start anew.

      Comment

      • #4
        bubbagump
        Senior Member
        • Aug 2006
        • 2302

        Kel-Tec is right there with Taurus, Bersa, Hi-point, etc

        One or two of their guns appeal to me, but everything else seems silly. That shotgun they recently came out with is clown shoes.

        Comment

        • #5
          alfred1222
          Calguns Addict
          • Jan 2010
          • 7331

          The owners of Kel-Tec have been going through a real nasty divorce, one thats tearing the company apart and slowing production. If they overcome it, im sure things could work. If they dont, they are screwed.
          Originally posted by Kestryll
          This guy is a complete and total idiot.
          /thread.

          ΦΑ

          Comment

          • #6
            kcjr1125
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2012
            • 3883

            I don't see the hype behind the KSG. I personally think it's silly. To each their own I guess.
            Originally posted by OHOD
            I guess I could rub my muff against his exwifes muff. Is that what they call muff diving?
            Originally posted by ivanimal
            I love you! (some Homo)
            I am a Gay muslim sometimes.
            we never had the problems in CA till the whiteys took over. We used to hunt, fish, roam, then they showed up and wanted to be civilized.............Ruined it for everyone!

            Comment

            • #7
              Trenchfoot
              Calguns Addict
              • Dec 2012
              • 7293

              Inexpensive guns that go boom. The market needs more of them. Someone shouldn't be deprived of the means to defend themselves because they are poor.

              Comment

              • #8
                Tommy C
                Senior Member
                • Aug 2013
                • 820

                Originally posted by Trenchfoot
                Inexpensive guns that go boom. The market needs more of them. Someone shouldn't be deprived of the means to defend themselves because they are poor.
                ^This^
                -Tommy

                Comment

                • #9
                  ojisan
                  Agent 86
                  CGN Contributor
                  • Apr 2008
                  • 11781

                  I like their innovation.
                  They certainly started some big industry trends with their P-32/380 and the P-11.

                  Originally posted by Citadelgrad87
                  I don't really care, I just like to argue.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    rambutan316
                    Senior Member
                    • Apr 2013
                    • 705

                    KelTec is not worth the prices they command. They reduce the number of guns they make to artificially inflate prices and create a feeling of "rarity" and "uniqueness" for a lot of their models (ex. do a Gunbroker search for PMR 30). They do have a lifetime warranty but it doesn't really mean anything when you pay for shipping, have them hold the gun for weeks or months, and then continue to have problems (cough,ahem, Taurus, cough, cough). It's best to spend your hard earned money on quality guns like Glocks, Rugers, and Berettas.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      pumpkinshooter
                      Member
                      • Mar 2009
                      • 168

                      They have been pretty innovative. Their small 380 and 9mm paved the way for many of todays pocket pistols. Other products are unique - who else makes a folding 223 rifle, a 30 rd 22 mag pistol or shotgun like the ksg? Many people have no problems, others have lots of problems.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        saki302
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Oct 2005
                        • 7191

                        The Ruger LCP and LC9 is a COPY of a Kel Tec design.
                        Imitation is a sincere form of flattery..

                        Anything of theirs I own or have shot seems to work well. I have a couple of their pistols I'd stake my life on. They USED to be cheap until this SB15 BS came about.

                        The KSG is as short as a SBS shotgun, holds 14 rounds, and is lighter (unloaded). What's not to like? (besides the price)

                        Anything with limited availability will cost more if people want it. If something was a true steaming POS (UTAS), then the price will stay low despite availability.

                        Now the PMR30 is a neat toy, but I didn't see the point then (Grendel P30), and I still don't see it now. In .22LR it would be a fun plinker in a free state.

                        -Dave

                        -Dave

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          sholling
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          CGN Contributor
                          • Sep 2007
                          • 10360

                          I consider them a 2nd tier player because of the light duty feel of most of the products that I've handled - but that doesn't mean that they make bad guns. In fact I've considered buying a couple of their products because they filled a niche better than anything else that I could find or afford at the time.

                          I see first tier as Colt, Beretta/Benelli, Ruger, Savage, Remington, Sako/Tika, Glock, Sig, HK and a few others. Companies with rock solid products, few out of the box lemons, and a top notch support infrastructure to quickly fix the few that sneak through. Of course their are degrees of 1st tier.

                          I look at Kel-Tec, Taurus, and Bersa some Kahr products as tier-2. If you get a good one life rocks, but if your luck sucks so might your experience with your new weapon.
                          Last edited by sholling; 12-12-2013, 10:49 PM.
                          "Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." --FREDERIC BASTIAT--

                          Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association, the Second Amendment Foundation, and the California Rifle & Pistol Association

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            pastureofmuppets
                            Senior Member
                            • May 2013
                            • 1805

                            The industry needs companies like Kel-Tec - not afraid to try and innovate rather than play it safe pump out the same thing each and every time. It means they will have failures and successes…
                            Host of the FAST OC podcast.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Steve_In_29
                              Banned
                              • Nov 2009
                              • 5682

                              I think they are definitely a viable company and one that isn't afraid to look at new ideas. Doing so is good for us as it forces other, bigger manufacturers to take notice.

                              Their stuff isn't up to full on battle rifle quality but for 99.9% of the buying public they will work just fine.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1