Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

I need advice and/or an opinion...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Cereal Killer
    Banned
    • Aug 2013
    • 129

    I need advice and/or an opinion...

    I'll try to make this quick: last year I bought four 80% AR lowers in a group buy. I built out two for myself. A friend who I occasionally shoot with asked about my new rifle and I mentioned that I had an extra 80% (I'm saving one). He bought it from me and had it machined and proceeded to build it. This was Feb/March of this year.
    Last month he and his wife split up and the usual accusations went flying. In short: he has to get rid of his guns. He turned everything over to his father for safe keeping except the AR because based on California law as best as we can understand it, he cannot give the rifle away or sell it because it is a personal build with no serial number. My opinion is that he should strip it down and saw the lower in half (or otherwise make it unusable) and that will be my advice to him unless there is some other way to legally transfer it out of his hands. What would be your advice?
    Last edited by Cereal Killer; 10-10-2013, 6:45 PM.
  • #2
    Jason_2111
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2010
    • 3831

    I'd suggest not relying on anything offered up in a public forum, and have him call Jason Davis @ Davis & Associates.
    Get the scoop from the guy with legal bonafides.

    Comment

    • #3
      postal
      Banned
      • Mar 2008
      • 4566

      While Jason has *THE BEST ADVICE*....

      I would suggest your recommendation is a little strong..... Because it was built from an 80% with no serial and no paperwork, it can easily be lost in a boating accident.

      Who knows what person mighta been scuba diving that day.... and what they found....

      Comment

      • #4
        bender152
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2006
        • 4237

        I am not a lawyer....

        But you are able to sell an 80% lower which has been completed IF you get the proper engravings done (serial, location, etc.).

        Comment

        • #5
          golfish
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Mar 2013
          • 10124

          This ^^
          It takes a lot of balls to play golf the way I do.
          Happiness is a warm gun.

          MLC, First 3

          Comment

          • #6
            six seven tango
            CGSSA Associate
            • Jan 2012
            • 1725

            Originally posted by bender152
            I am not a lawyer....

            But you are able to sell an 80% lower which has been completed IF you get the proper engravings done (serial, location, etc.).
            This^^^ Make sure he takes it to someone familiar with the ATF requirements because there are minimum letter/number sizes and depth, ie: you can't just take a pencil engraver and go to town.
            sigpic

            When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance is Duty


            Comment

            • #7
              Armando de la Guerra
              Banned
              • Aug 2013
              • 1018

              My best advice is: Don't bring this kind of stuff up on a public forum. It's not only counterproductive; it completely defeats (whatever) might be your main objective.

              Both you and your 'friend' know EXACTLY what to do.

              Comment

              Working...
              UA-8071174-1