Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Best Carry Ammo For 3" Barrel

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • TheProfessional
    Member
    • Jun 2013
    • 111

    Best Carry Ammo For 3" Barrel

    So I just purchased an HK P2000SK .40! I generally carry Winchester Ranger T-Series or Hornady Duty ammunition in my pistols. Well, I was recommended Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel .40, 180 grain ammunition for a barrel of 3 inches. I purchased two boxes yesterday.

    How much of a reduction in fps/f.lbs is there when firing regular ammunition (non-short barrel ammo) through a 3 inch barrel?

    I do understand that you're dead with whatever I shoot you with, but, I want optimum terminal performance.

    Is Speer short barrel ammo the best way to go?
    Last edited by TheProfessional; 09-25-2013, 8:13 PM.
  • #2
    1911su16b870
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • Dec 2006
    • 7654

    I would run a +P ammo if the firearm is rated for it, simply because it will give you more velocity from the start.
    "Bruen, the Bruen opinion, I believe, discarded the intermediate scrutiny test that I also thought was not very useful; and has, instead, replaced it with a text history and tradition test." Judge Benitez 12-12-2022

    NRA Endowment Life Member, CRPA Life Member
    GLOCK (Gen 1-5, G42/43), Colt AR15/M16/M4, Sig P320, Sig P365, Beretta 90 series, Remington 870, HK UMP Factory Armorer
    Remington Nylon, 1911, HK, Ruger, Hudson H9 Armorer, just for fun!
    I instruct it if you shoot it.

    Comment

    • #3
      MrPlutonium
      Senior Member
      • Apr 2008
      • 503

      Originally posted by 1911su16b870
      I would run a +P ammo if the firearm is rated for it, simply because it will give you more velocity from the start.
      +p ammo is not an option for .40S&W

      As to the OP's question, speer's short barrel loads are the only commercially available rounds specifically designed for use in shorter barrels. As far as how much velocity you might lose, it 's not likely to be so significant that any other ammo would be deemed ineffective. I would personally worry less about splitting hairs on the actual premium bullet selection and worry more about the reliability and accuracy in my specific pistol to choose the right load.

      Comment

      • #4
        voiceofreason
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2010
        • 3785

        .40 is not a caliber sensitive to weight/speed

        Ranger-T is a pretty hot round to start with and it has the advantage of "cutting". It's a proven round.

        What's important is that the round expands easily.

        read up on sectional density in regards to handgun rounds; makes for interesting reading
        "You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
        John Quincy Adams

        "You will never know how little my generation has traded away our freedoms and rights for. I'm sorry and ashamed for what we've left to the following generations."
        voiceofreason

        Comment

        • #5
          Mr357magnum
          Member
          • Oct 2012
          • 393

          I wouldn't go with the 180 grain at a short barrel, simply because your velocity would probably dip to around 875 or 900..

          Id go with a 155 or 165

          Comment

          Working...
          UA-8071174-1