Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

First timer buying handgun from private seller

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • HMGHUNTER
    Junior Member
    • Aug 2012
    • 28

    First timer buying handgun from private seller

    I'm looking to purchase a handgun, preferably from a local private seller to save a little money. It'll be for home defense and personal defense while in the woods (Had a recent close encounter with 2 bears while out hunting with only a .22lr rifle).

    My understanding of the procedure is this:

    1. Obtain handgun certificate
    2. Locate a seller and meet person at a FFL
    3. Pay seller, pay transfer/DROS fees, sign papers.
    4. Wait 10 days and pick up handgun

    Is this correct? Anything I should watch out for?
  • #2
    APV
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2011
    • 620

    it looks right to me
    sigpic

    Comment

    • #3
      scifigunner
      • May 2012
      • 468

      Best to pay seller outside of the store if possible. Some places will try to charge tax based on the amount they observe changing hands.
      Bill of Rights: Void Where Prohibited By Law

      Comment

      • #4
        AGGRO
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2009
        • 2793

        Originally posted by scifigunner
        Best to pay seller outside of the store if possible. Some places will try to charge tax based on the amount they observe changing hands.
        Seriously? I'll have to remember that. Usually it's a done deal before going in.

        Comment

        • #5
          Ed_Hazard
          Calguns Addict
          • Oct 2008
          • 5146

          Good to go on the paperwork. As far as tips on buying this video has some good advice.

          Originally Posted by Sic Boy
          And I bet Jobs surfs porn. If he doesn't, I'll eat a live baby on stage at the next Apple event.
          Originally posted by AJAX22
          Don't F with those guys... they can probably use their teabag to inflict blunt force trauma.


          Comment

          • #6
            Ed_Hazard
            Calguns Addict
            • Oct 2008
            • 5146

            Originally posted by scifigunner
            Best to pay seller outside of the store if possible. Some places will try to charge tax based on the amount they observe changing hands.
            Never seen that myself, also dont think it's legal. Excise tax is only charged on guns shipped in from out of state vendors. Private sales are not subject to it.

            Here's a previous thread where the question of tax came up. Several resident FFL's chimed in.

            Last edited by Ed_Hazard; 09-19-2013, 1:54 PM.
            Originally Posted by Sic Boy
            And I bet Jobs surfs porn. If he doesn't, I'll eat a live baby on stage at the next Apple event.
            Originally posted by AJAX22
            Don't F with those guys... they can probably use their teabag to inflict blunt force trauma.


            Comment

            • #7
              billofrights
              CGN/CGSSA Contributor
              CGN Contributor
              • Oct 2012
              • 2343

              Maybe do the PFEC before you try, so that if you're prohibited you don't waste your or the seller's time- unless you're 100% certain there's nothing in your past that might affect your eligibility.

              Comment

              • #8
                Trenchfoot
                Calguns Addict
                • Dec 2012
                • 7293

                One thing to think about. I know it is tempting to buy a used gun to save money, I have bought a few used ones myself. If this gun is going to be for self defense, I would strongly recommend taking someone with you that has experience inspecting used guns, or doing your best to educate yourself on the inspection process for the particular model you are buying.

                Comment

                • #9
                  cranky1
                  Junior Member
                  • Oct 2008
                  • 1

                  good god! and I thought it was bad in Canada. for a handgun we make 1 phone call and for a long gun ..........nothing!

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    someoneeasy
                    Senior Member
                    • Feb 2011
                    • 2372

                    just remember, just because its in the marketplace, doesn't mean it'll be your best deal. I use to find handguns for sale in the marketplace for a pretty decent deal, but lately all I've been seeing is people selling their handguns that you can find at any LGS for a lot more... good deals are out there, just not as common anymore

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Clee
                      Member
                      • Oct 2008
                      • 394

                      Don't forget your proof of residency.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        dunndeal
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Sep 2009
                        • 5488

                        Originally posted by Trenchfoot
                        One thing to think about. I know it is tempting to buy a used gun to save money, I have bought a few used ones myself. If this gun is going to be for self defense, I would strongly recommend taking someone with you that has experience inspecting used guns, or doing your best to educate yourself on the inspection process for the particular model you are buying.
                        Good idea.
                        Those that call the US Constitution a living, breathing document only want to asphyxiate liberty.

                        M76

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          mjsweims
                          Senior Member
                          • May 2009
                          • 807

                          Originally posted by Trenchfoot
                          One thing to think about. I know it is tempting to buy a used gun to save money, I have bought a few used ones myself. If this gun is going to be for self defense, I would strongly recommend taking someone with you that has experience inspecting used guns, or doing your best to educate yourself on the inspection process for the particular model you are buying.
                          +1

                          Originally posted by scifigunner
                          Best to pay seller outside of the store if possible. Some places will try to charge tax based on the amount they observe changing hands.
                          +1 It is legal and required for a shop to collect sales tax if the transfer of funds is on their premises.

                          Originally posted by Clee
                          Don't forget your proof of residency.
                          If your DL has a PO box as a mailing address be prepared to show at least one and possibly two alternate items of proof of residence - phone bill (not cell), utility bill, rental agreement.

                          When you pick up the handgun you will be required to show your ability to handle - load and unload the firearm safely.
                          Jack

                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            HMGHUNTER
                            Junior Member
                            • Aug 2012
                            • 28

                            Also, am I required to have a DOJ approved gun safe or lock box before they'll release to gun to me? Would a generic safe with key and combo be sufficient to satisfy that requirement?

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              APV
                              Senior Member
                              • Feb 2011
                              • 620

                              Originally posted by HMGHUNTER
                              Also, am I required to have a DOJ approved gun safe or lock box before they'll release to gun to me? Would a generic safe with key and combo be sufficient to satisfy that requirement?
                              If I am not mistaken the requirement is to present a receipt for the gun lock or purchase it at the store during the firearm transfer. I believe any safe with any type of lock or gun box or locked gun cabinet is fine. I think the only requirement is that a gun should be locked separately from ammo if there are kids in the household.

                              I'd like to add my two cents on sales tax. Sales taxes according to the law are paid one time only. So if one person purchased an item lets say at the store and paid sales tax there is no need to pay sales tax if the item is sold later to another person. On the other hand resellers typically have sales tax exemption. I.e. that if an item is purchased from a reseller with no sales tax paid the buyer (or any other party) would be required to pay the sales tax. Private sales of used items practically do not involve sales taxes. I hope it helps a bit clarify the question about taxes.
                              Last edited by APV; 09-21-2013, 3:12 PM.
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1