Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Gun Cabinet in Laundry room

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Newbshooter
    Member
    • Oct 2012
    • 258

    Gun Cabinet in Laundry room

    I have a small house with very few little extra space and trying to find a location for a gun cabinet. I have some space in my laundry room but a little worried about humidity. is this a bad idea? any recommendations for a small dehumidfier I can put in the gun safe if I go this route?
  • #2
    rstrobel
    Member
    • Dec 2010
    • 200

    There's quite a few here. Some have really good reviews. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...20dehumidifier

    Comment

    • #3
      sl0re10
      Calguns Addict
      • Jan 2013
      • 7242

      yeah the humidity is a prob.

      How about cutting open a wall and putting it in recessed like a medicine cabinet is in a bathroom? Since safes have a lip that goes around the opening they can open and closed even if recessed some.

      or Barska makes an under bed safe that rolls open sideways (you don't have to move the safe to use it).

      Comment

      • #4
        Dee_Dub
        Senior Member
        • Aug 2011
        • 2097

        A man's GOT to know his limitations.

        Comment

        • #5
          NPFreedom
          Senior Member
          • Jan 2012
          • 1568

          I wouldnt recommend it. The dryer steam will over power those dehumidifiers
          Visit www.npfreedom.com for discounted firearm parts and accessories

          Comment

          • #6
            Wildhawk66
            CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Mar 2006
            • 3608

            Not a great idea, but if you must do it, I would install a golden rod in the cabinet and a large rechargeable desiccant. Then I would store the guns in silicon gun socks. I would also try to add seals to the cabinet and make it a point to not open the cabinet when the humidity in the laundry room is high. If you really wanted to go pro, you could also install a bathroom style ceiling vent in the room and run that when you are running laundry. Lots of things you can do to make this workable, just depends on the money and effort you want to put into it.

            Comment

            • #7
              beanz2
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Nov 2008
              • 12032

              Originally posted by Newbshooter
              I have a small house with very few little extra space and trying to find a location for a gun cabinet. I have some space in my laundry room but a little worried about humidity. is this a bad idea? any recommendations for a small dehumidfier I can put in the gun safe if I go this route?
              In my last house, I had a safe in a closet off the bathroom. Bad idea. I had a golden rod and two of those plug-in silica gel dehumidifiers inside. The humidifiers got saturated with moisture every 2-3 days. That was with the bathroom fans always on while showering and windows open in the summer.

              Better, if you are cramped for space, is to move other things like brooms and mops into the laundry room and use the space left behind for the gun safe.
              sigpic
              The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.

              Comment

              • #8
                Newbshooter
                Member
                • Oct 2012
                • 258

                thanks for the input, I'll go with my next option of finding a spot in the garage, I did not like this as my first option because the garage tends to get left open and its just a locked cabinet and there tools in the garage someone can use to force themselves into it. I'll probably build a cabinet for it to go into so its not obvious.

                Comment

                • #9
                  tpuig
                  Senior Member
                  • Jun 2005
                  • 2163

                  Laundry room probably isn't the ideal place, but if you do put them there, you might consider using the some airtight gun storage bags. They are meant for long term storage and/or burying, so they'd likely work for the laundry room. IIRC they run about $10 for a rifle size.

                  If you do go with the garage, get a safe and bolt it down. You can make it look like an old refrigerator...
                  NRA LIFE Member

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Toyman321
                    Senior Member
                    • Mar 2009
                    • 1620

                    Originally posted by Newbshooter
                    thanks for the input, I'll go with my next option of finding a spot in the garage, I did not like this as my first option because the garage tends to get left open and its just a locked cabinet and there tools in the garage someone can use to force themselves into it. I'll probably build a cabinet for it to go into so its not obvious.
                    I've been thinking about putting a second safe in the garage and gutting a refrigerator and cutting the back out of it so I can bold the safe to the wall, then slip the fridge over it. Open the fridge door and whala, there's the safe and no one's the wiser.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      odysseus
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Dec 2005
                      • 10407

                      Originally posted by Newbshooter
                      I did not like this as my first option because the garage tends to get left open and its just a locked cabinet and there tools in the garage someone can use to force themselves into it.
                      Stop leaving your garage open unattended. It's a bad idea, even in lafayette where snatch-and-grabbers drive around looking for people doing that for moments of opportunity.
                      "Just leave me alone, I know what to do." - Kimi Raikkonen

                      The moment the idea is admitted into society, that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence.' and that `Property is surely a right of mankind as real as liberty.'
                      - John Adams

                      http://www.usdebtclock.org/

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      UA-8071174-1