Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Buying online vs LGS for hands on

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Propane
    Member
    • Jul 2012
    • 267

    Buying online vs LGS for hands on

    I'm just getting ready to build my first AR and had a few questions for those of you who have built a few. When I build anything I like to do it right the first time around. I do lots of reading, research and comparisons but nothing is like hands on shopping. The ability to see the quality of material and craftsmanship, the personal fit and helping the local business. Downside to the LGS is selection and often a higher price. Here are my questions.
    1. Do you buy a decent AR and buy upgrades to make it exactly what you want? (Starts you with a complete working platform) Or build from a stripped lower and upper?(Know your firearm inside out)
    2. If it were your first time building, would you buy parts using online stores, or would you keep to the LGS?
    www.KlingOnRC.com
  • #2
    SB1964
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2012
    • 4876

    I would buy a stripped lower locally & shop for the rest online. Assemble the lower yourself however you want.
    Yes I took the pic, no I didn't go swimming!

    Comment

    • #3
      Wallabing
      Senior Member
      • Jan 2009
      • 1499

      Buy everything else online/catalog.

      Comment

      • #4
        tanakasan
        Senior Member
        • Oct 2011
        • 1638

        Originally posted by SB1964
        I would buy a stripped lower locally & shop for the rest online. Assemble the lower yourself however you want.
        This^^

        Buy a stripped lower through an FFL. Then get a completed upper and everything else online or CGN's classifieds.

        Will save you sales tax on everything but the stripped lower. Will save you the excise tax charged on a completed firearm. Will allow you to build it exactly as you envision it. It will allow you to learn more about the platform. No down side, really.

        Robert
        WTB/WTT

        Comment

        Working...
        UA-8071174-1