Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Do I clean my guns too much?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • BlackDrop50
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2008
    • 1024

    Do I clean my guns too much?

    I clean my guns every time I shoot them. I go to the range once every week or 2, sometimes once a month. Usually I shoot 100-250 rounds per gun. Lately been lazy and have heard people saying you really don't need to clean your guns too often. So I've just been wiping em off , boresnaking them a few times, and re-oiling my 1911 on the rails, barrel, hood and disconnector without dissasembly.



    What do you guys think?
  • #2
    What Just Happened?
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2007
    • 2504

    The only thing you have to worry about are the brushes damaging / wearing way the rifling. As long as you're not using steel brushes, you should be fine.

    Comment

    • #3
      11Z50
      Banned
      • Sep 2002
      • 1997

      I believe that one can actually wear out a weapon by over-cleaning it. Most modern firearms are designed to work while dirty. A wipe down, and bore snake is sufficient for a 2-300 rd shoot. I normally detail-clean a weapon after 1k plus rds. I do however, do what I call a combat clean after each shoot. I take a cloth rag and clean the breech face, chamber, and action. I bore snake and lube, and that's good enough.

      Comment

      • #4
        tziggs
        Member
        • Feb 2008
        • 301

        It probably depends on the gun you are shooting. Some are more temperamental than others.

        I'm in the habit of cleaning after every session...but that's just a ritual I have. Also, since a few of mine are specifically for HD I want them in them to be in tip-top shape. Just in case.

        Comment

        • #5
          onikuma
          Senior Member
          • Mar 2006
          • 575

          sounds fine to me. i also like to clean my guns after each range trip. i havent noticed any unusual wear or problems associated with cleaning alot.
          Mal: Dear Buddha, please bring me a pony and a little plastic rocket...

          Comment

          • #6
            Greg-Dawg
            Banned
            • Oct 2006
            • 7793

            Comment

            • #7
              Xerxes
              Senior Member
              • Mar 2008
              • 1665

              Originally posted by BlackDrop50
              I clean my guns every time I shoot them. I go to the range once every week or 2, sometimes once a month. Usually I shoot 100-250 rounds per gun. Lately been lazy and have heard people saying you really don't need to clean your guns too often. So I've just been wiping em off , boresnaking them a few times, and re-oiling my 1911 on the rails, barrel, hood and disconnector without dissasembly.



              What do you guys think?
              Yes you are over cleaning...


              STOP IT NOW!

              I am tired of wearing welding goggles all the time due to the extreme glare coming from those over cleaned firearms of yours.

              Knock it off please so I can see the light of day without being blinded by your glare!

              Comment

              • #8
                SFFRONTMAN
                Vendor/Retailer
                • Jul 2007
                • 1531

                Yes. Its a gun, just shoot the friggin thing.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Slowshooter
                  Member
                  • Aug 2007
                  • 214

                  Depends on what the gun is for. Is this just for the range or for self-defense?

                  If just for range, and you go to range about twice a month or more frequently, no need for cleaning after each session. I've gone through several thousand rounds before cleaning for my dedicated range gun. I even forgot how shiny the feeding ramps were.

                  For firearms reserved for self-defense, after each session is a must regardless of round count. When you are cleaning your self-defense gun, make sure you check for any problem on your gun.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    BigRich
                    CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                    • Nov 2002
                    • 788

                    Originally posted by 11Z50
                    I believe that one can actually wear out a weapon by over-cleaning it. Most modern firearms are designed to work while dirty. A wipe down, and bore snake is sufficient for a 2-300 rd shoot. I normally detail-clean a weapon after 1k plus rds. I do however, do what I call a combat clean after each shoot. I take a cloth rag and clean the breech face, chamber, and action. I bore snake and lube, and that's good enough.
                    I completely agree with this statement.
                    Last edited by BigRich; 05-27-2008, 1:19 AM. Reason: Spelling
                    No one arrives in Hell surprised. (St. Robert Bellarmine)

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Waingro
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2007
                      • 1214

                      Originally posted by BlackDrop50
                      I clean my guns every time I shoot them. I go to the range once every week or 2, sometimes once a month. Usually I shoot 100-250 rounds per gun. Lately been lazy and have heard people saying you really don't need to clean your guns too often. So I've just been wiping em off , boresnaking them a few times, and re-oiling my 1911 on the rails, barrel, hood and disconnector without dissasembly.



                      What do you guys think?
                      I think it is different with all guns, Glocks can go a while without cleaning, whereas I give my DE and P7M8 a good cleaning after the range, more so the DE (i feel the finish is not up to par).
                      You never hear the phrase eaten dead.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        USN CHIEF
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Nov 2007
                        • 11540

                        I was taught to clean my guns after every shooting them at the end of the day. I always take them apart and clean them and baby them. I cannot stand a dirty gun. I have spent soo much money on them that I really don't care how much time it takes me to clean them after I shoot them. I want to ensure that all parts are working properly so that they are ready whenever they are needed.
                        Originally posted by tankerman
                        I think most folks bubba their AR's because they watch too many action movies, play too many video games and don't understand how to socialize properly, so they fantasize about being 'action hero's'. Kind of like little girls playing dress-up.
                        Originally posted by Douglas711
                        Is everybody stocking up on guys now? Just curious some gun prices seem to be getting high.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          1911su16b870
                          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                          CGN Contributor
                          • Dec 2006
                          • 7654

                          Cleaning once per month for your trusted and regularly used blaster IMO seems appropriate. Clean any firearm prior to putting up in the safe for an unknown length of time. I enjoy cleaning firearms and a properly cleaned and lubed machine. One question for those who clean their HD firearms - Do you see a cold bore bullet impact shift on the first round? I do with my 92FS.
                          "Bruen, the Bruen opinion, I believe, discarded the intermediate scrutiny test that I also thought was not very useful; and has, instead, replaced it with a text history and tradition test." Judge Benitez 12-12-2022

                          NRA Endowment Life Member, CRPA Life Member
                          GLOCK (Gen 1-5, G42/43), Colt AR15/M16/M4, Sig P320, Sig P365, Beretta 90 series, Remington 870, HK UMP Factory Armorer
                          Remington Nylon, 1911, HK, Ruger, Hudson H9 Armorer, just for fun!
                          I instruct it if you shoot it.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            BlackDrop50
                            Senior Member
                            • Mar 2008
                            • 1024

                            I've been shooting a lot lately maybe that's the reason for my laziness. Gonna go clean my guns and put em away for a while.

                            I've been doing the "combat clean" on my 1911 and I guess I'll just keep doing that and clean it every 750-1000 rounds I guess. Or whenever it looks too dirty...

                            Thanks for the tips guys

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              an actual gun
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Jun 2007
                              • 5423

                              Originally posted by USN CHIEF
                              I was taught to clean my guns after every shooting them at the end of the day. I always take them apart and clean them and baby them. I cannot stand a dirty gun. I have spent soo much money on them that I really don't care how much time it takes me to clean them after I shoot them. I want to ensure that all parts are working properly so that they are ready whenever they are needed.
                              I don't think I could say it any better than that.

                              Especially on precision rifles, the bore--in my humble opinion-- should be cleaned after every use. Unless one is expecting to use it again within a few hours. I mean if you're shooting just to be shooting (not competition or anything), and then decide to take a couple hours break and go at it again, there's no sense in cleaning it immediately during that break.

                              Another consideration is the use of corrosive ammunition if one is to be using such. Yet another consideration is in the restoration of an old firearm. Old surplus rifles may be full of grit, and doing some form of cleaning process on them every day for as much as 2 weeks is usually not harming anything, only helping.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1