Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Firearms Insurance Companies

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • BBR
    Member
    • Apr 2006
    • 196

    Firearms Insurance Companies

    So my search-fu sucks, so here I am asking.

    I am going through some housing changes and I now need to insure my firearm collection. I have been shopping around and I have come to the mountain to ask the experts. So far I have picked up quotes from the NRA, Union insurance, Cor-vens, and historic firearms. I am getting quotes of about 600 on $35,000. Is this what everyone else is seeing? Any recommendations on companies? I know I will have to prove ownership (photos and serial numbers), but I am not looking to have to appraise, as there aren't a whole lot of shops willing to provide this service and it would be a total pain to have to haul them in to some shop to have them picked over. Any recommendations?

    Thanks

    BBR
  • #2
    bbrad06
    Junior Member
    • Jan 2013
    • 32

    It sounds about right. You would pay more for full coverage on a $35k new car and you wouldn't question that after 4 quotes.

    Comment

    • #3
      ke6guj
      Moderator
      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
      • Nov 2003
      • 23725

      you may want to check out collectibles insurance, collectinsure.com . its around $250-300 for 40k , no need to provide them with an itemized list you want to insure. And that covers ammo and other accoutrements as well.
      You estimate the value of your collection and determine the amount of insurance. Although an inventory is not always required at the time of application to purchase insurance, we strongly recommend maintaining an inventory to provide proof and expedite claims in the event of a loss.

      a lot of the class 3 guys post online that they use collectibles to register their MGs. haven't heard of too many people needing to submit claims, but those that had, hadn't heard of any horror stories.
      Jack



      Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

      No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

      Comment

      • #4
        Nick Justice
        Senior Member
        • May 2010
        • 1985

        I got mine covered by homeowner and renter insurance with State Farm. The agent asked for only make and model. He said "You have some nice guns.", and wrote the policy. Try them.
        It doesn't matter how scary, ugly, uncomfortable, or inconvenient self defense can be. Like it or not, you will never, ever be relieved of your duty and responsibility to defend your life, your family, your country and your freedom.

        How much ammo do I need? Enough to last me the rest of my life, and then lot more for later.

        The government does not come knocking at your door. It comes knocking down your door.

        Comment

        • #5
          XVIga_Rob
          Senior Member
          • May 2012
          • 2354

          I have mine covered under my home owners policy with State Farm as well. Come to think of it, I should update/increase the value on the policy.

          Comment

          • #6
            BBR
            Member
            • Apr 2006
            • 196

            Thanks guys,

            Its not so much the cost of the policy that is giving me pause, its the itemization and appraisal that is doing it to me. I will give collectinsure.com a try and see if they will meet my needs. I have to say its so odd to send someone, especially a stranger, a list of my collection.

            BBR

            Comment

            • #7
              trigger945
              Calguns Addict
              • Sep 2012
              • 5795

              I have State Farm as well. They let me use declared value for my guns. I believe I pay $180 for $15K... Somewhere around there. Good luck. Smart move.
              One Way to Post Pics ********** How to Submit an iTrader Rating That Counts ********** Brass for Sale

              AR's for Sale ********** Ammo for Sale ********** Accessories/Parts for Sale ********** Handguns for Sale

              Comment

              Working...
              UA-8071174-1