Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Is This the Future of Firearms????

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ICONIC
    Senior Member
    • Aug 2010
    • 1223

    Is This the Future of Firearms????

    A New 'Smart Rifle' Decides When To Shoot And Rarely Misses

    A new rifle goes on sale on Wednesday, and it's not like any other. It uses lasers and computers to make shooters very accurate. A startup gun company in Texas developed the TrackingPoint rifle, which is so effective that some in the shooting community say it should not be sold to the public.


    I am not too sure how I feel about a scope that takes the skill out of shooting. I have worked a long time to hone my skills and become a better marksman.

    I wonder what the gun control implications would be once this product hits the open market.
    sigpic I am only here for the milk and cookies
  • #2
    smitty88
    Junior Member
    • May 2013
    • 64

    I agree with the op. Part of being a marksman is the amount of time that you invest into shooting. The more time you put in the better you become. I can already see this becoming a very bad thing for the shooting community as a whole.

    Comment

    • #3
      poefernando
      Member
      • Oct 2010
      • 202

      Shhh...don't let Senator ? See this or He will try to band it.

      Comment

      • #4
        poefernando
        Member
        • Oct 2010
        • 202

        Ban

        Comment

        • #5
          jdouglas
          Senior Member
          • Apr 2011
          • 1101

          Looks cool. Though unless the price came down 90% I doubt I'd ever buy it. I mean, who wants to be the newbie at the range that has to use fancy electronics to help him/her aim? Unless/until these become very common place (won't happen either unless they are just as cheap as regular guns), there will be a negative stigma attached to their use.
          WARNING: THE ABOVE POST MAY CONTAIN EXCESSIVE USE OF SARCASM.

          sigpic
          Are you a member?

          Comment

          • #6
            dwtt
            Calguns Addict
            • Oct 2005
            • 7470

            How is that any different than a shooter who uses a laser ranger to get an accurate range, then manually calculates the amount of elevation and windage to dial into his scope? Some shooters can mentally do the calculations all in their heads!

            Comment

            • #7
              Renaissance Redneck
              Senior Member
              • May 2012
              • 638

              Originally posted by dwtt
              How is that any different than a shooter who uses a laser ranger to get an accurate range, then manually calculates the amount of elevation and windage to dial into his scope? Some shooters can mentally do the calculations all in their heads!
              I agree. It is merely simplification of already-existing technology; in properly trained hands, that is.

              I'd like to compare the results of that system to the performance of a Marine scout/sniper with currently-existing gear. And, I think the sniper would not be so happy if he couldn't shoot at exactly the moment he wants to, but rather the rifle chooses the moment for him.

              I'll ask my son; he's a USMC scout/sniper.
              Last edited by Renaissance Redneck; 05-16-2013, 8:13 AM.
              .
              .

              Comment

              • #8
                Dano3467
                Calguns Addict
                • Mar 2013
                • 7381

                Holy crap, could get a car for that. Looks super cool. With that said, I want one !

                Comment

                Working...
                UA-8071174-1