Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Gifting a handgun to my dad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Renuco612
    Member
    • Feb 2013
    • 137

    Gifting a handgun to my dad

    So my dad and I have started shooting. He has had a Jennings J-22 for 30 years and never fired it untill this last month. Were both having a great time but he has come to the conclusion that his pistol is unreliable. That J-22 has so many malfunctions. I cleaned it and everything and its still acts up. we ran a whole bunch of ammo through it and it still hiccups. We live in the Bay Area if that helps.

    So he did mention that he has always wanted a revolver. So I plan on buying one for him. Is that legal to do without paper work? I plan on just buying it for him and giving it to him. Is that right or are there papers that have to be filed. I don't mind the gun being under my name aslong as it's his.
  • #2
    Librarian
    Admin and Poltergeist
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Oct 2005
    • 44691

    Originally posted by Renuco612

    So he did mention that he has always wanted a revolver. So I plan on buying one for him. Is that legal to do without paper work?

    I plan on just buying it for him and giving it to him. Is that right or are there papers that have to be filed. I don't mind the gun being under my name as long as it's his.
    No, can't do that legally.

    Perfectly fine to buy a gun with the intention of giving it as a gift.

    And, CA law allows intrafamilial transfers without an FFL, but requires some paperwork - see http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Tr...Family_Members

    I nominate you as 'good son of the week'.
    ARCHIVED Calguns Foundation Wiki here: http://web.archive.org/web/201908310...itle=Main_Page

    Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!

    Comment

    • #3
      Steve_In_29
      Banned
      • Nov 2009
      • 5682

      Just take dad to the LGS and have him pick out what he wants and do the paperwork in his name. Then you pay for it.

      Comment

      Working...
      UA-8071174-1