Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Eye Dominance Retraining

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • tdubgunner
    Junior Member
    • Jan 2013
    • 12

    Eye Dominance Retraining

    SO, I could've sworn that when I was younger (over 20 years ago), that I was right eye dominant (I am right handed).

    I haven't shot consistently since boot camp prior to college and now have discovered that I am left eye dominant. I understand that eye dominance can shift as you get older and am not worried about this.

    I have always been pretty accurate with my right eye, especially when my left eye is closed, but have also adjusted easily to pistol shooting with cross eye dominance by tilting my head as recommended.

    My dilemma are all my right handed rifles when I try to use iron sights!

    Not only is this a huge investment to retool, but if the SHTF and I "acquire" a new rifle off the field, the weapon will most likely be right handed. Thus, shooting "left" handed is not a reasonable solution in my opinion.

    Currently, I experience a battle between the eyeballs for dominance which confuse my focus somewhat. Therefore, what are some techniques to properly re-train my right eye to have near equal dominance as my left when shooting rifles with iron sights?

    P.S. though not entirely perfect, shooting with rifles scopes ()especially red dot) via my right eye does not present the same problems as an iron sights since my acquisition is tolerable with a scope.
  • #2
    Bongo Truck
    Member
    CGN Contributor
    • Jul 2010
    • 153

    When you wear shooting glasses put masking tape on the right lens, you'll be shooting wings off a nats *** in no time.
    Last edited by Bongo Truck; 04-16-2013, 11:36 PM. Reason: grammar

    Comment

    • #3
      HighLander51
      Banned
      • Feb 2010
      • 5144

      Well shifting dominance can be medically related. You should first see an eye doctor and make sure you are not developing a cataract. If that is not the case then you need to fool your left eye by putting scotch tape over your left eye shooting glasses and keep both eyes open. You can 'see' thru your left eye but your right eye is focused on the front sight, not the target. Works for pistol, rifle and shotgun.

      Comment

      • #4
        voiceofreason
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2010
        • 3785

        not "tactical", but close your left eye the moment before acquiring the sights on right handed rifles

        this is how I practice shooting left eye only (we practice for our dominant arm being useless, why not eye?)
        "You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
        John Quincy Adams

        "You will never know how little my generation has traded away our freedoms and rights for. I'm sorry and ashamed for what we've left to the following generations."
        voiceofreason

        Comment

        • #5
          tdubgunner
          Junior Member
          • Jan 2013
          • 12

          Approximately how long does the tape method take for training? Also, will this allow a natural focus without the glasses later?

          It'd be cool to shoot the wings off a nats **** haha
          Last edited by tdubgunner; 04-17-2013, 8:34 PM.

          Comment

          Working...
          UA-8071174-1