Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Sheriff confiscated PPT AK for failed side folding lock mechanism

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • gizmodon
    Junior Member
    • Feb 2013
    • 3

    Sheriff confiscated PPT AK for failed side folding lock mechanism

    Had this AK for 10 days in my possession from the previous ppt, the previous owner put in place a locking mechanism that didn't allow the side folder button to be depressed. I didn't make any modifications to it. I decided to sell it for a different AK type. While doing the PPT, myself and the buyer verified that it was locked and the side folder could not be folded. One of the employees muscled the stock with full arms/shoulders and got the stock to move about 15 degrees. They told each other that it was locked and it couldn't move any further and proceeded to finish out PPT on 3/31. Subsequently I received a call on 4/10 by the sheriff, as stated previously, stating that my weapon is illegal and folded. I'm not sure what the employees did to the firearm after they accepted it and completed the DROS, but apparently now the locking mechanism has failed.

    tldr:
    PPT at Turners Outdoorsman
    Employees tried to bend the side stock, moved 15 degrees, told each other it was locked
    10 days later, sheriff called and said it was illegal and to call him

    What should I do? I was 100% sure it was locked before bringing it in (although I didn't use 100% strength trying to bend the damn thing). I'm currently talking to Jason Davis (Calguns attorney) and plan to pay the hourly rate in order to avoid a misdemeanor/felony at all cost.

    Edited to remove turners location
    Last edited by gizmodon; 04-12-2013, 7:05 PM.
  • #2
    Hoologan
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    • Feb 2010
    • 1254

    Whew. Sucks bro. Best of luck to you.
    sigpic

    Comment

    • #3
      bohoki
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Jan 2006
      • 20826

      its a good lesson not to have that "for looks" stuff on there cause someone may make it work

      Comment

      • #4
        Maltese Falcon
        Ordo Militaris Templi
        CGN Contributor
        • Feb 2009
        • 6752

        How did the Sheriff get involved in a PPT that employee accepted?

        Somebody from Turner's had to have called them?

        .

        Comment

        • #5
          jaymz
          CGSSA Associate
          • Oct 2006
          • 6298

          Whoever defeated the locking device created an assault weapon.
          War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is......

          Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself.

          Comment

          • #6
            L4D
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2009
            • 3053

            Turners just called the Sheriff on themselves.

            What mechanism or modification was made to keep it locked?
            RIP iTrader: Feedback Profile for L4D

            Comment

            • #7
              stormvet
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Mar 2010
              • 12681

              Good luck man, with enough force any stock can bend or break. Making it illegal do to over all length. Your FFL really screwed you. I sure as hell would never do biz with them.
              Im a warmonger baby, I got blood in my eyes and I'm looking at you.

              Comment

              • #8
                E92335i
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2013
                • 2937

                Turners just turned you in.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Quiet
                  retired Goon
                  • Mar 2007
                  • 30242

                  Retain a lawyer and contact the Calguns Foundation.
                  sigpic

                  "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    9mmrevolver
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2006
                    • 1477

                    Did I even take possession? If not then they can pound sand. Seems like if it was locked before you guys brought it in and you hadn't picked it up that its pretty clear turners made an illegal sbr or maybe aow

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      gizmodon
                      Junior Member
                      • Feb 2013
                      • 3

                      I haven't taken possession of it since I did the ppt. I'm currently in the process of getting a lawyer to work things out. I'm just amazed how things can turn so quickly. One moment it was an innocent rifle transfer, the next moment I'm looking at a potential felony. I've only been a gun owner since Nov 2012 and I didn't foresee something like this happening, ever.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Sofatactical
                        Senior Member
                        • Jan 2013
                        • 603

                        1st lesson, never darken the door of any turners.
                        Find a true LGS that you know and deal with them.
                        Sofa King Tactical!

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Joe'Bronco
                          Senior Member
                          • Sep 2010
                          • 621

                          Noted. I will never step foot in a turners. Hope this all works out for you!

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            dwtt
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Oct 2005
                            • 7470

                            How is this any different than someone ppt an AR pattern rifle with a bullet button installed, and Turners removed the bullet button after the paperwork was submitted? It looks like Turners owe the OP the value of the AK, $500, $700?

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              gizmodon
                              Junior Member
                              • Feb 2013
                              • 3

                              At this point, I don't even care of they keep the AK. I rather do that than potentially facing a misdemeanor or a felony. That pretty much ends my career.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1