Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

AK 74 side folder legality question

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • seldomwright
    Junior Member
    • Jul 2009
    • 45

    AK 74 side folder legality question

    Hey guys, legality question. I have an extended muzzle brake for 30" overall length when folded on my AK 74, must this brake be actually tack welded on and permanent? Or is the spring loaded retaining pin that holds the threaded device on sufficient? I assume the answer is that it must be permanent, thus welded. Thoughts?

    And if I must permanently attach it, should it be brazed (low heat) or is a small tack from a mig welder advisable? I realize mig welds are messy, but I'm confident I could get a clean tack on the underside.

    Thanks for reading.
  • #2
    SJgunguy24
    I need a LIFE!!
    • May 2008
    • 14849

    There is no permenance required for whatever you use to make the 30". You could even attach a bayonet.
    This is a state law, the only time anything needs to be permenently attached is when you need to get the barrel length over 16" to meet federal law.
    There are 3 kinds of people in this world.
    The wise, learn from the mistakes of others.
    The smart, learn from their own mistakes.
    The others, well......they just never learn.

    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
    Patrick Henry.

    Comment

    • #3
      chillincody
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2011
      • 2675

      Originally posted by seldomwright
      Hey guys, legality question. I have an extended muzzle brake for 30" overall length when folded on my AK 74, must this brake be actually tack welded on and permanent? Or is the spring loaded retaining pin that holds the threaded device on sufficient? I assume the answer is that it must be permanent, thus welded. Thoughts?

      And if I must permanently attach it, should it be brazed (low heat) or is a small tack from a mig welder advisable? I realize mig welds are messy, but I'm confident I could get a clean tack on the underside.

      Thanks for reading.
      yes pin and weld ( high heat solider.braze ) the muzzle brake to make it perm to meet the OAL or youll be in possesion of a SBR IIRC
      Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774_1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764

      Comment

      • #4
        SJgunguy24
        I need a LIFE!!
        • May 2008
        • 14849

        Originally posted by chillincody
        yes pin and weld ( high heat solider.braze ) the muzzle brake to make it perm to meet the OAL or youll be in possesion of a SBR IIRC
        Please do your research before giving advice. This is wrong.
        There are 3 kinds of people in this world.
        The wise, learn from the mistakes of others.
        The smart, learn from their own mistakes.
        The others, well......they just never learn.

        "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
        Patrick Henry.

        Comment

        • #5
          chillincody
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2011
          • 2675

          Originally posted by SJgunguy24
          Please do your research before giving advice. This is wrong.
          it doesnt say in the law that it does or doesnt need to be permanet but it says in SHORTEST firing position for OAL measurement so stock folded and muzzle device removed it would be in its shortest firing position and not meeting the OAL

          it would be to easy for that muzzle device to get unscrewed from barrel and to go missing between the time your arrested and the time it hits evidence


          play stupid games win stupid prizes .........
          Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774_1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764

          Comment

          • #6
            SJgunguy24
            I need a LIFE!!
            • May 2008
            • 14849

            Originally posted by chillincody
            it doesnt say in the law that it does or doesnt need to be permanet but it says in SHORTEST firing position for OAL measurement so stock folded and muzzle device removed it would be in its shortest firing position and not meeting the OAL

            it would be to easy for that muzzle device to get unscrewed from barrel and to go missing between the time your arrested and the time it hits evidence


            play stupid games win stupid prizes .........
            Legal lesson,
            The law states what is illegal. Everything else is therefore legal. There is nothing in the penal code stating anything needs to be permenently attached to meet overall length. Posting that what you did is false. Jsut because a cop might not like it doesn't make it illegal.
            Now what is the lowest melting temp for silver solder to be considered permenently attached and who came up with that ruling?
            I've been building professionally for a couple of years now and I have to know all of the regulations, federal and state. Some work even has to be performed in steps so I don't run afoul of state law even though the feds don't care.

            1200f
            Last edited by SJgunguy24; 04-11-2013, 2:09 PM.
            There are 3 kinds of people in this world.
            The wise, learn from the mistakes of others.
            The smart, learn from their own mistakes.
            The others, well......they just never learn.

            "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
            Patrick Henry.

            Comment

            • #7
              SilverTauron
              Calguns Addict
              • Jan 2012
              • 5699

              Originally posted by SJgunguy24
              Legal lesson,
              The law states what is illegal. Everything else is therefore legal. There is nothing in the penal code stating anything needs to be permenently attached to meet overall length. Posting that what you did is false. Jsut because a cop might not like it doesn't make it illegal.
              There's a saying in the Chicago Police Force. What counts is not what happened, but whats on paper.

              In plain English: if a crooked cop unscrews a flash hider so as to nail a "gun collar", you're hosed. Its your word versus an army of police officers and the official report.
              The more prohibitions you have, the less virtuous people will be.
              The more subsidies you have, the less self reliant people will be.
              -Lao-Tzu, Tau Te Ching. 479 BCE

              The 1911 may have been in wars for 100 years, but Masetro Bartolomeo Beretta was arming the world 400 years before John Browning was ever a wet dream.

              Comment

              • #8
                chillincody
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2011
                • 2675

                Originally posted by SJgunguy24
                Legal lesson,
                The law states what is illegal. Everything else is therefore legal. There is nothing in the penal code stating anything needs to be permenently attached to meet overall length. Posting that what you did is false. Jsut because a cop might not like it doesn't make it illegal.
                Now what is the lowest melting temp for silver solder to be considered permenently attached and who came up with that ruling?
                I've been building professionally for a couple of years now and I have to know all of the regulations, federal and state. Some work even has to be performed in steps so I don't run afoul of state law even though the feds don't care.

                1200f
                what I posted clearly was just my opinion I never claimed it was the law .........


                Originally posted by SilverTauron
                There's a saying in the Chicago Police Force. What counts is not what happened, but whats on paper.

                In plain English: if a crooked cop unscrews a flash hider so as to nail a "gun collar", you're hosed. Its your word versus an army of police officers and the official report.
                Exactly
                Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774_1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764

                Comment

                • #9
                  seldomwright
                  Junior Member
                  • Jul 2009
                  • 45

                  Thanks for the input guys, didn't mean to start a little war. SJgunguy24 you're for sure right about the letter of the law, thanks for clarifying it for me. chillincody I might be more inclined as you are to tack weld it just to cover my ***. I'm kind of on the fence actually. Either way, thanks for your time and thoughts.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  UA-8071174-1