Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

GAMMA-M rifle plates vs. M855, M193?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Sundo
    Member
    • Oct 2009
    • 138

    GAMMA-M rifle plates vs. M855, M193?

    I recently bought some GAMMA rifle plates that I thought were GAMMA PLUS plates, which have successfully stopped 5.56 M855 and M193 rounds in testing. What I got is a similar, but not the same, plate labeled "GAMMA-M". I'm wondering if the GAMMA-M plates are effective against M855 and M193.

    The label indicates the manufacturer is "Tactical Armor Products", the same manufacturer as for the GAMMA PLUS. I understand TAP was bought by PACA/Point Blank.

    The size, shape, and NSN number indicate the GAMMA-M is a SAPI spec plate. The NSN number on the label is "NSN8470-01-504-7877". When I look that up, it describes the item as being an alumina and Kevlar rifle plate. It's size LARGE with dimensions slightly larger than 10x13 inches, and triple-curved. This is consistent with a SAPI plate. The thickness is 0.75 inches.

    The GAMMA PLUS is a 10x12 inch single curve plate that is 1.0 inches thick. It has been shown to prevent penetration of 5.56 M193 and M855, so is considered "standalone" (although soft armor backing is still recommended for blunt trauma protection).

    Anyway, does anybody have any hard information about the GAMMA-M plates? Is it fair to consider them effective at stopping M855 and M193 in conjunction with a IIIA soft armor backer? Is there any testing/documentation/experience to back this up?

    I'm considering whether to keep these plates or look for GAMMA PLUS plates. Any info appreciated. Thanks!
  • #2
    Lugiahua
    Senior Member
    • Sep 2011
    • 1576

    shouldn't they have a NIJ rating? NIJ III would stop all 5.56 non APs

    Comment

    • #3
      voiceofreason
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2010
      • 3785

      contact the manufacturer
      "You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
      John Quincy Adams

      "You will never know how little my generation has traded away our freedoms and rights for. I'm sorry and ashamed for what we've left to the following generations."
      voiceofreason

      Comment

      • #4
        dieselpower
        Banned
        • Jan 2009
        • 11471

        if you bought these any other place then a reputable retailer, I wouldnt trust them. Stopping a rifle round isn't a walk in the park even for the real deal stuff. If you did buy them from a reputable dealer call them and ask whats the difference.

        Comment

        Working...
        UA-8071174-1