Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Undetectable Firearms Act of 1988

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • A-J
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2011
    • 2586

    Undetectable Firearms Act of 1988

    I was reading an article about 3-D printed guns and saw this law mentioned. Man, I thought this was some made up BS for the article. Turns out this not only passed, but was renewed (a couple years after it sunset/expired) and is coming up for renewal in December of this year.

    Having read the theory behind it, I think it 100% and unequivocally (again, still) shows that the politicans have absolutely NO clue what they are doing. They're just going with the "it sounds bad, we must ban it!!" mentality.

    Look at when the law was passed - 1988. Now look at when Die Hard came out - 1988 again! Remember, this is the movie with the "Glock - a porcelain gun that doesn't show up on your x-ray scanners" line. And what did this law ban? Any plastic or ceramic gun not detectable by xrays.
    It was not a threat. It was an exaggerated response to an uncompromising stance. I was taught never to make a threat unless you are prepared to carry it out and I am not a fan of carrying anything. Even watching other people carrying things makes me uncomfortable. Mainly because of the possibility they may ask me to help.
  • #2
    Nick Justice
    Senior Member
    • May 2010
    • 1985

    Not that I know for sure, but I will say that no gun in existence violates the Act. And no one had ever created a gun that violates the Act. I know of no technology that will produce a working firearm that would violate the Act.
    Not for lack of trying by the researchers though.
    It doesn't matter how scary, ugly, uncomfortable, or inconvenient self defense can be. Like it or not, you will never, ever be relieved of your duty and responsibility to defend your life, your family, your country and your freedom.

    How much ammo do I need? Enough to last me the rest of my life, and then lot more for later.

    The government does not come knocking at your door. It comes knocking down your door.

    Comment

    • #3
      Citadelgrad87
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Mar 2007
      • 16976

      Originally posted by Nick Justice
      Not that I know for sure, but I will say that no gun in existence violates the Act. And no one had ever created a gun that violates the Act. I know of no technology that will produce a working firearm that would violate the Act.
      Not for lack of trying by the researchers though.
      And even if someone did, load that invisible firearm and then what do you have on X ray?

      Originally posted by tony270
      It's easy to be a keyboard warrior, you would melt like wax in front of me, you wouldn't be able to move your lips.
      Originally posted by repubconserv
      Print it out and frame it for all I care
      Originally posted by el chivo
      I don't need to think at all..
      Originally posted by pjsig
      You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
      XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
      sigpic

      Comment

      • #4
        call-in
        Senior Member
        • Apr 2011
        • 646

        Originally posted by Citadelgrad87
        And even if someone did, load that invisible firearm and then what do you have on X ray?

        A SQUIB?!?
        -Colin
        ︻デ═一

        Originally posted by KillAllGuns
        Black color scheme makes the bullets more deadly.

        Comment

        • #5
          Ninety
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2012
          • 4062


          NRA Member
          The Constitution does not bestow wisdom. It's up to the body politic to be wise. -Patriot
          All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.
          -Edmund Burke
          I'd much rather go to my grave never needing my gun, than go there wishing I had it.
          - Phil Dalmolin

          The Battle of Athens was illegal too.

          Comment

          • #6
            JDay
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Nov 2008
            • 19393

            Originally posted by Citadelgrad87
            And even if someone did, load that invisible firearm and then what do you have on X ray?

            Looks like there's a round stuck in the barrel.
            Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace. -- James Madison

            The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)

            Comment

            • #7
              Citadelgrad87
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Mar 2007
              • 16976

              Originally posted by call-in
              A SQUIB?!?
              But that squib shows up on x ray.
              Originally posted by tony270
              It's easy to be a keyboard warrior, you would melt like wax in front of me, you wouldn't be able to move your lips.
              Originally posted by repubconserv
              Print it out and frame it for all I care
              Originally posted by el chivo
              I don't need to think at all..
              Originally posted by pjsig
              You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
              XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
              sigpic

              Comment

              • #8
                Librarian
                Admin and Poltergeist
                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                • Oct 2005
                • 44689

                As well as a Glock on Xray -

                People sure fear the strangest things.
                ARCHIVED Calguns Foundation Wiki here: http://web.archive.org/web/201908310...itle=Main_Page

                Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!

                Comment

                Working...
                UA-8071174-1