Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

AR-15 designation... illegal?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • rightaboutmeow
    Junior Member
    • Jan 2013
    • 43

    AR-15 designation... illegal?

    I was looking at purchasing one of the next batch of Umbrella Corporation lower receivers directly from Umbrella, but noticed that they have the designation "AR-15" on them. I know that the "AR-15" designation is banned by name in our state, but specifically in regards to Colt who owns the registered trademark. Would it then be illegal to get one of these Umbrella lowers as well? & are they technically breaking trademark law?
  • #2
    rightaboutmeow
    Junior Member
    • Jan 2013
    • 43

    here are some photos... & their website is http://ucwrg.com

    Comment

    • #3
      Merc1138
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Feb 2009
      • 19742

      Banned by name? Really? I'd like to see where "Umbrella Corporation" is listed.

      Please read the flowchart at the top of the page, be sure to scroll down to see what the banned lists actually state.

      Comment

      • #4
        Exodus343
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2012
        • 4740

        That's one sweet lower....
        "Adversity Introduces Us To Ourselves"

        sigpic

        Comment

        • #5
          rightaboutmeow
          Junior Member
          • Jan 2013
          • 43

          Originally posted by Merc1138
          Banned by name? Really? I'd like to see where "Umbrella Corporation" is listed.

          Please read the flowchart at the top of the page, be sure to scroll down to see what the banned lists actually state.
          I have read the flowchart & I know Umbrella Corporation isn't on there. That isn't my question. If Colt owns the actual "AR-15" designation & this lower is designated AR-15 that means it's either endorsed by Colt or an illegal trademark infringement. My question was in regards to the legality if the first were true.

          Comment

          • #6
            Merc1138
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Feb 2009
            • 19742

            Originally posted by rightaboutmeow
            I have read the flowchart & I know Umbrella Corporation isn't on there. That isn't my question. If Colt owns the actual "AR-15" designation & this lower is designated AR-15 that means it's either endorsed by Colt or an illegal trademark infringement. My question was in regards to the legality if the first were true.
            What in the world are you talking about?

            That lower is not a Colt AR-15, or any model of Colt AR-15. "AR-15" is not banned by name in California. Read the list.

            Comment

            • #7
              Chaos47
              Calguns Addict
              • Apr 2010
              • 6615

              It has to be 100% match, brand and model.

              For example:
              The old Colt 6920 is banned by name
              Colt: Law Enforcement (6920)
              But the new model has SP or LE infront of 6920
              Making it a Colt SP6920 not a banned by name 6920


              "AR-15" model under any other brand name (as long as that name is not banned) is not listed and therefore legal

              Because there are other "AR-15" models banned by name
              Frankford Arsenal: AR-15 (all)
              Olympic Arms: AR-15, Car-97, PCR (all)
              Ordnance, Inc.: AR-15
              Wilson Combat: AR-15


              Don't worry about tradmark infringment, thats just silly.

              Comment

              • #8
                dropbox
                Junior Member
                • Jan 2013
                • 31

                I think it's much more likely that they'd get sued by whatever owns the Resident Evil franchise...

                Comment

                • #9
                  QuarterBoreGunner
                  Administrator
                  CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                  • Oct 2005
                  • 9389

                  Originally posted by dropbox
                  I think it's much more likely that they'd get sued by whatever owns the Resident Evil franchise...
                  This right here; but that's still a badass lower.
                  /Chris

                  I have a perfect Burning Man attendance record: zero.

                  You do know there are more guns in the country than there are in the city.
                  Everyone and their mums is packin' round here!
                  Like who?
                  Farmers.
                  Who else?
                  Farmers' mums.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Arkangel
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2010
                    • 4458

                    Originally posted by dropbox
                    I think it's much more likely that they'd get sued by whatever owns the Resident Evil franchise...
                    IIRC Capcom gave them permission to use the logo.
                    _██_
                    (ಠ_ృ) riveting tale, chap.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Tjfearl
                      Senior Member
                      • May 2012
                      • 1108

                      Originally posted by Arkangel
                      IIRC Capcom gave them permission to use the logo.
                      I believe that they bought the rights for firearms manufacturing, which weren't covered by Capcom's trademark. Or something like that. UCWRG has explained it tons of time on their Facebook page.
                      HM2(FMF) Earl

                      NRA Life Member...Are you?!?!

                      Can't wait to be DEEP SEA!!!

                      "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it's natural manure." Thomas Jefferson 1787

                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        DisgruntledReaper
                        Senior Member
                        • Jan 2009
                        • 1863

                        That is kewel, how much were those going for before the PANIC? Would be nice to get one, goes well with 1911 with Umbrella Corp grips
                        'There is no theory of evolution, just a list of creatures Chuck Norris allows to live.'

                        'I have so many good karma points I am approaching Saint Hood'

                        "They tell you of a laundry detergent that takes out bloodstains- I'm thinking that if you have clothes covered in bloodstains-maybe laundry isn't your biggest problem"

                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          kaligaran
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2011
                          • 4800

                          OMFG... I've got to have one of these!
                          WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up.
                          Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Tjfearl
                            Senior Member
                            • May 2012
                            • 1108

                            FYI they are made by Mega, so they are legit quality.
                            HM2(FMF) Earl

                            NRA Life Member...Are you?!?!

                            Can't wait to be DEEP SEA!!!

                            "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it's natural manure." Thomas Jefferson 1787

                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              call-in
                              Senior Member
                              • Apr 2011
                              • 646

                              I think the OP is stating that because "AR-15" is a registered trademark of Colt, then it would be illegal for other manufacturers to to use it on their own variant of the weapon. Is this correct OP?
                              -Colin
                              ︻デ═一

                              Originally posted by KillAllGuns
                              Black color scheme makes the bullets more deadly.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1