Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Who here has heard gunshots at night?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • elvinjones
    Junior Member
    • Aug 2011
    • 26

    Who here has heard gunshots at night?

    Hey all. I made a thread in the introduction section. Hopefully this is the right place for this question/comment.

    First of all, thanks a lot for the welcome there.

    One of the things that has brought me here has been this: I just moved to a less nice area from a rural area -- for education and job opps. Probably 4 nights already in a few months I have heard gunfire. I don't always keep my window open though... I think two weekends ago, it was about 8 quick shots followed by sirens a minute later, and then a helicopter with searchlights scouring my neighborhood for hours after that. I come from a neighborhood where I could leave an xBox on the porch overnight and nobody would touch it let alone see it.

    I currently don't have any guns where I am living. I have only shot my flintlock back up near Rough and Ready. I am not a gun nut (yet?). I understand that I am a noob, but am I crazy to want some type of self defense?

    I am not even planning on a CCW anytime soon, but it's sad when you take a walk around a park and the same car...I'd bet money it's a drug dealer...follows you.

    Does anyone else live where there is or seems to be some amount of crime? Has that affected you or have you learned to quit worrying and love the gun regardless of the crime in your area?
    Thanks
    elvinjonesbones
    115
    High
    0%
    27
    average
    0%
    29
    low
    0%
    45
    rural area
    0%
    14

    The poll is expired.

  • #2
    Beelzy
    Calguns Addict
    • Apr 2008
    • 9225

    I am sure I hear gunshots at night but all the voices in my head drown them out.
    "I kill things for a living, don't make yourself one of them"

    Comment

    • #3
      RonnieP
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2012
      • 2750

      Elvinjones, if you are worried about crime, you need to move to California. We have laws against murder/rape/robbery/assaults and a host of other things.

      We are perfectly safe in this state.
      Trump 2016

      Comment

      • #4
        blakdawg
        Senior Member
        • Sep 2008
        • 1503

        Self-defense is a natural right and duty of an adult. You're perfectly normal and it seems very reasonable to want to have good self-defense tools available, especially if you see a lot of bad behavior in your neighborhood. At present, it's not realistic for an ordinary Santa Clara county resident to expect a CCW permit.

        I am in San Jose pretty frequently; crime has increased a lot over the past 10-15 years, and the police force is shrinking. SJPD really doesn't have the resources to deal with property crime and h bad guys know it. It's going to get worse before it gets better.
        "[T]he liberties of the American people [are] dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box . . without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country." -- Frederick Douglass (1892)

        Comment

        • #5
          DNA
          Senior Member
          • Oct 2005
          • 1517

          I live in an area worse than yours. Situational awareness will get you further than any weapon ever will.

          And no it's not crazy to wany a weapon or just something for self defense. But know that if you arm yourself you are willing to live with the consequences of using it
          Originally posted by bigmike82
          That doesn't matter.

          If you believe in Liberty, you should believe it for everyone, not simply those whom you agree with.

          Comment

          • #6
            DNA
            Senior Member
            • Oct 2005
            • 1517

            I live in an area worse than yours. Situational awareness will get you further than any weapon ever will.

            And no it's not crazy to wany a weapon or just something for self defense. But know that if you arm yourself, you have to be willing to live with the consequences of using it. Again mind set is the key here.

            Dan
            Originally posted by bigmike82
            That doesn't matter.

            If you believe in Liberty, you should believe it for everyone, not simply those whom you agree with.

            Comment

            • #7
              elvinjones
              Junior Member
              • Aug 2011
              • 26

              I definitely don't live paranoid and realize that driving to work/uni is definitely the most dangerous thing I do by far every day....but I can tell you that I won't be staring down a group a kids walking down the street, I keep my car empty, keep space in front of it while driving etc...

              Oh yeah, my classes were cancelled the last day due to a reported gunman on campus.

              I have read a lot on carrying etc, and it seems that most people never have to draw, or if they do it's maybe once in a span of many decades. I believe in having a good value system and don't expect to have to use a weapon, and have de-escalated situations before. But it's hard not to feel a bit underarmed with groups of roaming kids who look like they desperately want to show how tough they are and lay a beat down plus the semi-regular gun shots that I hear.

              My roommate said he say a guy walking down the street get mugged by a group of these kids, haha. What a stupid lifestyle. Seriously. Where I am at may not be the worst in the state or even county, but a nice little country town it ain't.

              Comment

              • #8
                MossbergMan
                Senior Member
                • Oct 2009
                • 1255

                Gunshots at night? have I heard them? Hell, I'm the one firing them. Low light/no light training is essential to self defense. Of course these shots I speak of are at a range.
                The County park next to my home seems to be a gang-banger function firing zone. I'm a frequent caller to the PD. "911, state your emergency....oh Mr. Renner? yes.More gunshots at the park? yes. we'll send someone over promptly to check it out."
                I live in a fairly low to average crime area. Mostly property crimes...but yes I hear gunshots at night.
                Larry Renner
                Plus (+) P Proficiency LLC
                NRA and CA. P.O.S.T certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Tactical Instructor.
                You never rise to the occassion, you only sink to your lowest level of training" Unknown.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Dutch3
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Oct 2010
                  • 14181

                  I'm in a rural area with fairly high crime. Tweakers, dope growers, burglars, domestic battery, etc. Likely all related. Myself and several others even watched a guy get shot once.

                  Plenty of gunshots at night, mostly harmless plinking into a pasture or orchard. Bird hunters opening up at sunrise, random rifle and shotguns during the day. Just the normal noises around here.
                  Just taking up space in (what is no longer) the second-worst small town in California.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    norcal.xd
                    Senior Member
                    • Jun 2010
                    • 846

                    I hear gun shots nightly. Infact I actually heard some last night while watching the dark Knight. Just another day in e.p.a. LOL

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      SeanCasey
                      Now in AZ
                      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                      • Mar 2009
                      • 1562

                      I hear gun shots all day long! Of course, I do live near a shooting range

                      Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
                      -Sean Casey

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        billmaykafer
                        Senior Member
                        • May 2012
                        • 1264

                        less now,but lots while in military.
                        MOLON LABE

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Sully
                          CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                          • Jan 2007
                          • 263

                          You'll need to get urbanized and have situational awareness.
                          Don't look like a target or walk into groups that look like trouble.
                          I wouldn't buy a gun as a student until I had many safety practices clear,
                          As well as time and safety training to use and store a weapon.

                          My wife took some 'Impact' self defense training, after the second drive by pestering at a bus stop in one week.

                          A conservative is a liberal who was mugged...

                          Best
                          Sully

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            delta9
                            Senior Member
                            • Jun 2011
                            • 1690

                            I live in San Francisco and over the hill from my house is a neighborhood that is a little "rough" - I occasionally hear gun shots and see on the everyblock.com reports of police responding to "shots fired". The gun shots never seem to correlate to any murders or injuries so I'll assume it's just fools firing into the air

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              bsg
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Jan 2009
                              • 25954

                              i live in the 'old town' area of my community. it's relatively quiet, with the surrounding areas being much more 'active' than the one i live in.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1