Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Steel case ammo in SA M1A

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • rickster1269
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2009
    • 1277

    Steel case ammo in SA M1A

    tmac@springfield-armory.com
  • #2
    M1A Rifleman
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2005
    • 3691

    Interesting, thou not sure I agree with all of what he says. My opinion is to stay clear of steel cased, as the M14 was not designed for it.

    I have no info on the current CAVIM ammo, but the stuff from 1992 ran fine for me. It had a green colored sealant at the bullet/case that some claimed caused plugging of the gas port, yet I had no problems.

    Soft point ammo, such as Remington will work fine. The worry is the tips may deform as the round chambers. This would affect accuracy a bit, but its minimum at say 100 yd. I use soft points for hunting.

    Figure the M14 was designed for M80 ball with a 147grn bullet, so staying in the 147 to 175 limit would be best.

    Moose and elk would better hunted with something larger than a 308.
    The only thing that is worse than an idiot, is someone who argues with one.

    Comment

    • #3
      Rob454
      CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
      • Feb 2006
      • 11254

      I shoot steel case out of my guns. mostly steel. never had a issue at all. I wont keep a gun that cannot reliably handle cheap ammo.

      Comment

      • #4
        shooting4life
        Calguns Addict
        • Jan 2009
        • 5770

        I shoot steel case out of my loaded m1a

        Comment

        Working...
        UA-8071174-1