I'm considering selling a rifle but have never sold one before and I'm trying to figure out what I need to do to keep it legal. I understand that the gun would have to be brought to an FFL so a PPT can be processed and the buyer can do the DROS and 10 day wait. As far as the actual sale is concerned do funds (the actual cost of the gun NOT the PPT fees) have to go through the FFL as well or can payment take place through PayPal, cash or some other means before the gun is brought to the FFL for the PPT? Also, I've noticed that most people here will not ship. Is there a legal reason for this or is it mostly out of convenience?
Unconfigured Ad Widget
Collapse
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Questions on selling used firearms...
Collapse
X
-
FFL is never responsible for handling the payment for the transaction. They just take their own cut for transfer, shipping, whatever.
Sellers wont ship If they want cash and cant be bothered to package the weapon. you can ship a long gun to a receiving FFL for a transfer.. From the post office. No problem.
Paypal is ok but you should gift the funds so the buyer can't scam you through a dispute, also i dont think they take a percentage of gifted money. They may freeze your account if they learn the payment is part of a firearm sale, as they are anti gun.
For your own safety You should Insist on cash or money order.Last edited by durandal; 11-04-2012, 3:37 PM.---
WTB: old cz75 with round trigger guard & spur hammer, sf bay -
I've never done it, but always cash. Don't even take a money order, they can and are frequently forged. So are bank checks. I'd stick to cash only or pay pal if they are willing to eat the fee paypal would charge you for the transaction, which I think is something like 5%.Comment
-
You pretty much have it op. I will argue though that most don't ship because its so incredibly complicated and is an absolute burden. ( sarcasm)
Money. If ftf then obviously you would want cash. If its a distance buyer then you have a couple safe options.
USPS money orders can be validated upon receipt at the post office or via the USPS website. Simply punch in the mo serial number and it will tell you if it's valid and the amount it's worth.
PayPal is an option. But why would you donate a percentage of you're money to a company that is adamantly anti 2A. It amazes me how people will support a crap company like that. Also noting they can lock you're account and freeze you're funds for 6 months for really any reason they want to. Been there, done that. If they even smell firearm in a transaction they lock you're account down.
Bank checks and personal checks are fine. They all have these magical things called phone numbers on them. Call the bank to confirm either you're good to go and know the exact status of said payment.
The overall rule being the weapon doesn't ship until the funds clear. Make the buyer aware of that policy and any honest person won't have issues with it.
Back to shipping. Easy peezy. UPS is you're friend. Have the buyer send a copy of the recieving ffl , take ffl , weapon packaged in unmarked box and ups will do the rest.
It's really that easy.
Long guns can go by ground. Handguns have to go overnight/next day. Shipping a handgun can be expensive but buyer gets to eat those costs so no worries
Slayer of abalone and lingcod.Comment
-
I've never done it but I'm gonna speculate anyways?I've never done it, but always cash. Don't even take a money order, they can and are frequently forged. So are bank checks. I'd stick to cash only or pay pal if they are willing to eat the fee paypal would charge you for the transaction, which I think is something like 5%.Slayer of abalone and lingcod.Comment
-
That's funny. On gunbroker most businesses won't take Paypal, and charge extra for credit cards vs money orders/checks.I've never done it, but always cash. Don't even take a money order, they can and are frequently forged. So are bank checks. I'd stick to cash only or pay pal if they are willing to eat the fee paypal would charge you for the transaction, which I think is something like 5%.
You're more likely to meet a flake in a PPT than a scammer.WTB:
Emerson SOCFK-AComment
-
I sold a rifle on calguns last night and met buyer at oaktree this morning he paid me outside building and I carried rifle inside and we finished transaction in 10 minutes. Both gave ids and thumbprints. he paid fees and will pickup after 240 hours. ppt was $35 for him. best way is always ftf cash at ffl. And also I purchased a firearm on gunbroker and paid with paypal. A lot of sellers use paypal and the fees are 3.5% or discreet personal.Comment
-
Everything I have done has always been ftf at or near an FFL for cash. In general guns are not really that hard to sell. Whn I am looking for soemthing rare I have had to buy one and have it shipped and always understood waiting for the money to clear. If someone is giving you a hard time then I would just move on to another buyer."Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
- PericlesComment
-
A syndicate from east Europe relieved my checking account of $3,000.00 via PayPal early this year. Dealing with PayPal to get my money repaid and dealing with them in general is a nightmare. I would avoid PayPal for anything at all costs, they are anti-gun and evil.NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor, Shotgun Instructor and Range Safety Officer
sigpicComment
Calguns.net Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 1,868,276
Posts: 25,146,264
Members: 358,387
Active Members: 5,498
Welcome to our newest member, LakeLife.
What's Going On
Collapse
There are currently 30015 users online. 123 members and 29892 guests.
Most users ever online was 239,041 at 10:39 PM on 02-14-2026.

Comment