Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Reloading question concerning .223 specs

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • woodycv62
    Junior Member
    • Apr 2011
    • 36

    Reloading question concerning .223 specs

    I've recently started reloading my 223 brass. I purchased the Lyman 49th edition reloading reference book for the Sammi specs. My 223 resizing die is made by Lee. The die resided the 223 brass shoulder to the Sammi spec of .354. My AR-15 barrel seems to be finicky and really likes the brass shoulder to be closer to .352. Lee has re-worked my resizing die to resize the brass closer to the .352 mark but really closer to .353. All other specs from the Lee resizing die are spot on.

    Just curious has any others experienced this issue and if so what was your correction process? I'm not replacing the barrel, maybe a different die manufacture?

    Thanks in advance for any advice!

    Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2
  • #2
    Dave A
    Member
    • Aug 2010
    • 459

    I have only used RCBS dies, a standard small base set and one made specifically for AR's by the same people. I have shot the reloads in three different chambers (rifles) and have not had any problems at all while using a variety of diff mfg brass. As to the exact specs, don't know as have not measured them because of lack of issues. I do know that they really do not require much if any trimming to length after the first firing. I usually start them out at 1.752 to 1.753.

    For the varmint matches the club puts on I bought new Hornady and Nosler brass and put a lot more effort into the small details when loading them. Also have loaded some new Lake City brass which is pretty consistent.

    Comment

    • #3
      Noonanda
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2005
      • 3404

      what kind of brass are you using? If you are using milsurp brass you may have stuff that was fired through a SAW, they have looser chambers and the brass takes alot more work to resize.
      "You see in this world theres two kinds of people my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig... You Dig" Blondie from TGBU

      Comment

      Working...
      UA-8071174-1