Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

anyone ever use DSA for ar uppers??

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • chillincody
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2011
    • 2675

    anyone ever use DSA for ar uppers??

    Hey calgunners Im about to order my upper to finish my AR pistol build But have few ? to ask
    this is the upper im looking at http://www.dsarms.com/DSA-ZM4-Forged...info/ZM4CBU11/
    so ?
    1 has any one ordered through from DSA ? how fast do they get the order out ? (do they build it or is it ready to ship? )

    2 it says no bolt .bolt carrier and CH so that means it just needs a BCG and CH correct??

    3 is if I buy a BCG and CH will it need headspace checked or should it be fine ?

    4 is how much is the cheapest I can find a BCG and CH for?? I can see spending $200 on a BCG for a $240 upper lol

    Sorry if these are some retarded ? Im a noob to the ar platform and this will be the first of many I own thanks for the help
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774_1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764
  • #2
    Ron-Solo
    In Memoriam
    • Jan 2009
    • 8581

    I recently built one using a DSA lower and all DSA parts, except for the BCG which I already had. I was pleased with the quality and fit.

    I have another stripped lower in my safe. When I'm ready to build, I won't hesitate to buy DSA again.

    It was less than two weeks from when I placed the order until I got the parts.
    LASD Retired
    1978-2011

    NRA Life Member
    CRPA Life Member
    NRA Rifle Instructor
    NRA Shotgun Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    DOJ Certified Instructor

    Comment

    • #3
      chillincody
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2011
      • 2675

      Originally posted by Ron-Solo
      I recently built one using a DSA lower and all DSA parts, except for the BCG which I already had. I was pleased with the quality and fit.

      I have another stripped lower in my safe. When I'm ready to build, I won't hesitate to buy DSA again.

      It was less than two weeks from when I placed the order until I got the parts.
      YAY 2 weeks is not bad at all it will give me time to find a cheap BCG and CH so I can finally shoot this baby I am just hesitant handing out my CC info on line in this day and age but you put those fears to rest .
      Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774_1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764

      Comment

      • #4
        Ron-Solo
        In Memoriam
        • Jan 2009
        • 8581

        DSA has decent prices on bcg's and CHs too.
        LASD Retired
        1978-2011

        NRA Life Member
        CRPA Life Member
        NRA Rifle Instructor
        NRA Shotgun Instructor
        NRA Range Safety Officer
        DOJ Certified Instructor

        Comment

        • #5
          chillincody
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2011
          • 2675

          Originally posted by Ron-Solo
          DSA has decent prices on bcg's and CHs too.
          Yeah I see they have them for $130 for BCG and Ch are 40$ Im gonna try to find a used set to save some money tho.
          Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774_1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764

          Comment

          • #6
            gawker
            Member
            • Sep 2002
            • 475

            ZM48517-A $14.00 for charging handle
            Item: ZM485018509-A for complete semi bolt carrier $120.00

            I bought a DSA 16" upper CAR style from them 2 years ago and didn't have any issues with it.

            Comment

            • #7
              chillincody
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2011
              • 2675

              Originally posted by gawker
              ZM48517-A $14.00 for charging handle
              Item: ZM485018509-A for complete semi bolt carrier $120.00

              I bought a DSA 16" upper CAR style from them 2 years ago and didn't have any issues with it.
              So whats the diffrence between all the CH ? because they range from $14 -$80
              Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774_1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764

              Comment

              • #8
                cabinetguy
                Release the Cabinets!
                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                • Sep 2010
                • 12659

                I have a DSA upper on my ar I bought about 3 years ago when they first camo out. The only issue was in the first 100 rounds when I ran it too dry, once I broke it in it is as good as any other basic upper out there. The finish is great, and it shoots as well as I can.
                As far as charging handles, the cheapest one will work, but the gas busting ones make life at the range nicer. Extended ones are needed with scopes, and ambi's if you are paranoid or a lefty, or a paranoid lefty

                Comment

                • #9
                  chillincody
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2011
                  • 2675

                  Originally posted by cabinetguy
                  I have a DSA upper on my ar I bought about 3 years ago when they first camo out. The only issue was in the first 100 rounds when I ran it too dry, once I broke it in it is as good as any other basic upper out there. The finish is great, and it shoots as well as I can.
                  As far as charging handles, the cheapest one will work, but the gas busting ones make life at the range nicer. Extended ones are needed with scopes, and ambi's if you are paranoid or a lefty, or a paranoid lefty
                  LOL im not paranoid or a lefty just have rather big hands So i would guess a large CH would be best . whats a gas busting one ?? never seen or heard of that


                  And what about the head space ? is it needed or is it only needed when mating the barrel to upper ?

                  Thanks again guys for all the help this noob needs it
                  Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774_1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Ron-Solo
                    In Memoriam
                    • Jan 2009
                    • 8581

                    The upper will come head spaced if you order it complete.

                    As far as charging handles are concerned, the stock one is fine unless you have a bulky scope on it. The charging handle is rarely used once you load the gun. There are many "Tacticool" options out there, but most of it is just Kool aid as far as I'm concerned. I carried an AR for years as a duty weapon, and never had anything but a stock GI charging handle.

                    If you decide you want a Tacticool charging handle later, it's an easy swap.

                    $120 for a complete BCG is a decent price. Buying used can lead to some issues.
                    LASD Retired
                    1978-2011

                    NRA Life Member
                    CRPA Life Member
                    NRA Rifle Instructor
                    NRA Shotgun Instructor
                    NRA Range Safety Officer
                    DOJ Certified Instructor

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      chillincody
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2011
                      • 2675

                      Originally posted by Ron-Solo
                      The upper will come head spaced if you order it complete.

                      As far as charging handles are concerned, the stock one is fine unless you have a bulky scope on it. The charging handle is rarely used once you load the gun. There are many "Tacticool" options out there, but most of it is just Kool aid as far as I'm concerned. I carried an AR for years as a duty weapon, and never had anything but a stock GI charging handle.

                      If you decide you want a Tacticool charging handle later, it's an easy swap.

                      $120 for a complete BCG is a decent price. Buying used can lead to some issues.
                      Yea I wont be putting a big scope on it ill be going with the carry handle since the upper already has that front site on it .

                      And your very correct, now that I think about the used BCG thats one of the main parts of the gun and shouldnt take the cheap route just to save $50 ,


                      Thanks again
                      Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774_1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        cabinetguy
                        Release the Cabinets!
                        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                        • Sep 2010
                        • 12659

                        The gasbuster (made by PRI?) cuts back on gas blowing past the charging handle when you fire. They are nice, but that being said I use standard handles on mine.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          The War Wagon
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Apr 2011
                          • 10294

                          I built my Landshark with a stripped DSA upper, that I bought locally off another board.

                          DSA makes quality parts/rifles, which is GOOD, because their customer service blows donkey balls.

                          My rifle turned out fine, and performs up to spec.


                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            chillincody
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2011
                            • 2675

                            Well I just got off the phone and they said 8-9 weeks until they can even ship boo looks like im gonna have to try and find it locally for cheap
                            Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774_1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1