Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Basic Gun Safety class for kids in San Francisco area?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • BHLiu11
    Member
    • Oct 2012
    • 269

    Basic Gun Safety class for kids in San Francisco area?

    Any of you know where I can enroll my kids for Basic Gun Safety classes?

    Here is the story. My kids are 9 (Girl), 8(Boy), and 2(Boy). Few days ago, my 8 yr old boy asked to see if he can learn how to shoot. When I asked why, he said "if you are not home and someone breaks into the house, I can protect the family". Good answer, but I told him I will think about it. About 8 hrs later, I asked my wife to ask my son why and he gave the same answer.

    Originally, I was going to say no as he is only 8; however, after thinking about it for a while, I realized that if I don't, he may find a way to learn on his own without me knowing, which could be dangerous. I have several rifles and may hand guns in the house.

    Since then, I purchased Airsoft pellet guns and teaching him and his sister basic firearm safety (I made them read the safety rules and make them tell me what they mean in their own words ... For example, Treat all weapons as if they are loaded. It means that all weapons are loaded with bullets all the time; Know your targets and what's beyond it. It's because bullets can travel further than what you are shooting and it could hit or hurt things that you don't want to shoot; etc...) So far, so good.

    The only thing is that I am trying to enroll them into an official class where they can learn the Basic Gun Safety with other kids (If possible). I think receiving similar or same messages about guns and safety from another person will reinforce what they have learned thus far. Any of you know where I can enroll my kids into the class in San Francisco Area?

    My background: Former US Marine, owned several weapons and proficient with many (In my opinion ) , taught many friends how to shoot and basic safety, but have reservation about my own kids understanding and comprehension of gun safety
    Last edited by BHLiu11; 10-04-2012, 7:43 PM.
    Life Member - United States Marine Corps
    Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GSSF
  • #2
    50BMGBOB
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2005
    • 1738

    Most Rod & Gun clubs have a youth program. I know USI in Concord does and may be a place to start. Other than one on one or just with you, that would probably be best. USI has both an airgun and firearm program for kids.

    You say you have reservations about your kids? You would know them best. Kids that age should be well supervised at all times especially when just starting out. Don't push to hard. They are not adults, the attention spans aren't as long so if 20-30 minutes they are bored, pack up and go do something else. Some kids get it and some don't. If the kid can behave, he can be taught. Some kids are better than adults and some adults shouldn't have guns.

    My son started with an airgun with me at 4. Switched to 22LR's at 8 (when he was allowed at the range. By the time he was 12 I trusted him more than most adults with guns. By 14 he had taken and passed (with the highest score in the class) the NRA Rifle instructor class (he is an apprentice instructor sense he isn't 21, but score higher than all the adults in the class).
    sigpic50BMGBOB aka 50BMGLAZARUS aka 50BMGZOMBIEBOB aka the UN- DEAD!

    Comment

    • #3
      BHLiu11
      Member
      • Oct 2012
      • 269

      Thanks .. I'll look them up. I wish NRA or local ranges offer classes such as that for kids.
      Life Member - United States Marine Corps
      Life Member - NRA
      Life Member - GSSF

      Comment

      • #4
        AE102
        Member
        • Jul 2012
        • 223

        Where are you in the Bay Area?
        San Leandro Davis Street Pistol and Rifle Range has youth nights only every Friday evenings. Not sure if they offer the classes there or what, but all I know is adults aren't allowed HAHA

        Last edited by AE102; 10-05-2012, 9:54 AM.

        Comment

        • #5
          unusedusername
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2008
          • 4124

          Ask these guys: Bay Profs

          If they don't teach a class themselves, they will know who does. They are the instructors for other instructors in the area.

          Comment

          • #6
            BHLiu11
            Member
            • Oct 2012
            • 269

            AE102 .. I am actually in Daly City (ppl dont know where Daly City is even though the borders are touching :-) .. I have sent an email to folks at Bay Profs and hope that they will get back with me soon.

            I hope that NRA would offer classes for kids in the bay area soon.
            Life Member - United States Marine Corps
            Life Member - NRA
            Life Member - GSSF

            Comment

            • #7
              lchurch
              Junior Member
              • Apr 2008
              • 10

              I'm a Bayprofs instructor. We regularly teach the NRA Basic Pistol class which is 9+ hours, way too long for 8 to 10 year old children (some adults have trouble with a 9 hour class).

              The only NRA class I'm aware of for youngster is Eddy Eagle -- not what Mr. BHLiu11 was looking for.

              I'll have to look into what we could do in a two hour "Firearms Safety for Kids" class.

              larry
              Last edited by lchurch; 10-07-2012, 11:55 AM.

              Comment

              Working...
              UA-8071174-1