Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Bought myself a new S&W yesterday.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • drifter2be
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2011
    • 2177

    Bought myself a new S&W yesterday.

    Since moving I've decided to change my school of thought pertaining to a home defense pistol. I relied on my 1911 for quite a while now, thinking that 8+1 rounds of .45 was better than 10 rounds of the smaller 9mm, since I was limited to just 10+1 rounds by CA law.

    Walked into a store yesterday and walked out with this beauty.

    17+1 rounds of 9mm goodness. No stupid mag safeties or ugly loaded chamber indicators on her, just a slightly scalloped away peep hole at the rear of the chamber to visually check for a round without doing a press check.

    Extremely satisfied with the pistol, the last experience I had with a S&W semi-auto pistol was a Sigma and it left a rather bad taste in my mouth between quality and the horrible trigger. I made sure to shoot one of these before making my purchase and this was definitely a completely different beast. The trigger take up feels slightly gritty but the break is nice and crisp with not too much over-travel and a nice short reset, at least it feels short compared to all my DAO carry pistols that have long resets.

    All that is left for now is to get a set of night sights and possibly throw a light on the rail. Sleeping much better at night knowing this is in the night stand.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L Mencken
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid. - Han Solo

    "Moms Demand Action" sounds less like a gun control group and more like the title of a porn flick from the mid-90s.
  • #2
    BajaJames83
    Calguns Addict
    • Jun 2011
    • 6042

    Very nice. Enjoy!
    NRA Endowment Life Member
    USMC 2001-2012

    Never make yourself too available or useful...... Semper Fidelis

    John Dickerson: What keeps you awake at night?
    James Mattis: Nothing, I keep other people awake at night.

    Comment

    • #3
      voiceofreason
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2010
      • 3785

      Throw on a set of Heinie Ledge Straight Eight night sights.

      Expensive, but worth it IMO.

      I'd add a bit more and have them widen the rear notch as well to .156" if they don't have a model with one as wide.

      The ledge feature alone is SO worth it!

      Shooting at night with the 2 dots is so much easier than the 3 dot configurations I used to run. Including the different color set I had.
      "You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
      John Quincy Adams

      "You will never know how little my generation has traded away our freedoms and rights for. I'm sorry and ashamed for what we've left to the following generations."
      voiceofreason

      Comment

      • #4
        SanPedroShooter
        Calguns Addict
        • Jan 2010
        • 9732

        I use Big Dots which is the same principle I think. Put that big ol' white golf ball center mass and pull the trigger.

        Them's fighting sights.

        We manufacture the best night sights, sight installation tools, ghost rings, AR BUIS, shotgun beads, and optic mounts for all your favorite gun brands.

        Comment

        • #5
          psango
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
          CGN Contributor
          • Jul 2009
          • 1303

          Nice pistol! +1 on Heinie sights.
          Always remember to pillage before you burn.

          Comment

          • #6
            bsg
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Jan 2009
            • 25954

            congratulations.

            Comment

            • #7
              drifter2be
              Senior Member
              • Jan 2011
              • 2177

              Originally posted by voiceofreason
              Throw on a set of Heinie Ledge Straight Eight night sights.

              Expensive, but worth it IMO.

              I'd add a bit more and have them widen the rear notch as well to .156" if they don't have a model with one as wide.

              The ledge feature alone is SO worth it!

              Shooting at night with the 2 dots is so much easier than the 3 dot configurations I used to run. Including the different color set I had.
              Thanks for that, after looking them up I think I found my night sights. I like that they make them with the ledge, I was thinking I was going to have to sacrifice that feature if I changed out the factory sights. I do like the 2 dot setup over 3 dots. It looks like it would make aligning the sights a little faster.

              Brownell has them for $148, but they are on back order.
              Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L Mencken
              Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid. - Han Solo

              "Moms Demand Action" sounds less like a gun control group and more like the title of a porn flick from the mid-90s.

              Comment

              • #8
                Sakiri
                Senior Member
                • Aug 2012
                • 1395

                Do want.

                Grats on the gorgeous piece. May she serve you well.
                On the Second Amendment:
                "'Keep' means they're mine, you can't have them. 'Bear' means I've got some on me, and they're loaded."

                Comment

                • #9
                  InGrAM
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2010
                  • 3699

                  Great choice.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    drifter2be
                    Senior Member
                    • Jan 2011
                    • 2177

                    Got to the range earlier today, playing with all the new toys, KelTec P32 and P11, Ruger LCP and my M&P9.

                    Did notice that with my target out at "self defense distance"(21 feet) that if I put my front sight right over the bullseye the point of impact was consistently 3" underneath the bullseye. Not too worried, if it were a defensive situation I would aim for the chest and still get center-mass, but is that typical for an M&P? With my KT P-11 at the same distance I would put the front post over the bullseye and I would be hitting the bullseye.

                    Was shooting 115gr PMC bronze out of both guns, if that info helps.
                    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L Mencken
                    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid. - Han Solo

                    "Moms Demand Action" sounds less like a gun control group and more like the title of a porn flick from the mid-90s.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    UA-8071174-1