Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Laser Range Finder

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Mr Blu
    Senior Member
    • Sep 2011
    • 741

    Laser Range Finder

    Hello all.

    I did a few searches, but nothing came up on this, nor am I sure this is the right section to ask this.

    What is a decent and durable laser range finder?

    I'm looking for something that can handle heavy use, as well as weather, that isn't some sort of "satellite GPS for ICBMs" kind of range finder.

    I'm looking for something that can handle 1,000m -1,500m accurately, but expensive.

    The rifle I will be using with it, will be a Remington 700 SPS Tactical .308cal, with a Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x50 illuminated scope. I know it can reach 1,000m, as many a video on YouTube has proven, but I'm not sure past that.

    Am I inadvertently out-shooting the rifle with that range? Is there a range finder that would be idea for said setup?

    Any and all help will be appreciated.


    PS - I'm new to long range, possibly extreme long range shooting, so please be gentle. My long range experience is with rank and file M16A4's.
    Originally posted by 0321jarhead
    Accuracy is not always the rifle, its the nut behind the stock.
    "Use the shiny toys when you have them, but never, ever forget how to do it by hand." --- SGT. David Sillick A. Co. 4-64 AR, 3ID

    Everything is METTT-C
  • #2
    iBkickinit
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • Jul 2007
    • 462

    I have a pair of Newcon LRB3000 Laser Rangefinding Binoculars. Got em for a steal at 1400. They reliably range 1500-2000 yards, and on ideal terrain targets, I have ranged as far as 3600 yards. I was tired of carrying binoculars AND a rangefinder. Really nice to have. I also have an 800 yard Newcon Monocular. Got it for a steal on e-bay as well. (60 bucks )

    Edit: Just saw a pair of the 3000 LRB for ~1400 in eBay..

    Just know that you will only get about half the rated distance reliably on most rangefinders...
    Last edited by iBkickinit; 07-19-2012, 4:29 PM.
    GC - Yellow
    4/28 - App Received
    5/19 - Check Cashed
    8/12 - Phone Call
    9/10 - Interview
    9/11 - Live Scan/Training Completion Submitted
    9/11 - CA Complete
    9/29 - FBI Complete
    10/5 - Firearms Complete
    12/27 - Call for pickup!

    Comment

    • #3
      Jwind
      Member
      • Sep 2010
      • 174

      I've been using a range finder I bought off a private seller on Amazon. Par70 " http://www.amazon.com/PAR70-Jcs602-1...r+range+finder "

      Works well enough, I haven't been able to test out to 1,500 yards as you do need something that is reflective at that point. Was able to aim at a mountain 1,000yds away, 600yrds with trees. I think original price I paid was $170?

      Probably isn't super durable, but mines lasted for quite awhile now. Haven't had to change out the batteries either.

      Comment

      • #4
        freonr22
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Dec 2008
        • 12948


        ?

        sigpic
        Originally posted by dantodd
        We will win. We are right. We will never stop fighting.
        Originally posted by bwiese
        They don't believe it's possible, but then Alison didn't believe there'd be 350K - 400K OLLs in CA either.
        Originally posted by louisianagirl
        Our fate is ours alone to decide as long as we remain armed heavily enough to dictate it.

        Comment

        • #5
          iBkickinit
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
          CGN Contributor
          • Jul 2007
          • 462

          Just know that a finder rated 1000-1200 might get the broadside of a white or metal barn close to 1000, but it definitely wont lase a small tree or animal in a field at that distance.
          GC - Yellow
          4/28 - App Received
          5/19 - Check Cashed
          8/12 - Phone Call
          9/10 - Interview
          9/11 - Live Scan/Training Completion Submitted
          9/11 - CA Complete
          9/29 - FBI Complete
          10/5 - Firearms Complete
          12/27 - Call for pickup!

          Comment

          Working...
          UA-8071174-1